IGNORED

Pack And Elliott In Central Midfield - Superb

tinman-is-god

Just got in from the Orient game and have to say that I am utterly delighted with what I saw tonight. The first 30 minutes, in particular, we were a different class. Cunningham was brilliant on the left and gave great cover, Osbourne was superb defensively and Flint won everything.

But what surprised me was how effective a pair Wade Elliott and Pack were. Pack has been impressing for weeks and i thought that he was our outstanding player on the night this evening, he really did run the game and did some outstanding defensive work. In addition, Wade Elliott, who many posters on here wrote off after he had barely played 45 minutes for us, was very good alongside him. They both kept it simple when they needed to but also played some expansive balls out wide, especially finding Baldock, who was making some fantastic runs. They both made a number of interceptions and it bodes well for the future if Elliott can keep getting better as he looked like pretty decent this evening.

Also thought Barnett worked really hard too and gave JET room and space to express himself, which he did for the first time in weeks in the 2nd half and was back to the JET we know - making the opposition look shite!

Just got in from the Orient game and have to say that I am utterly delighted with what I saw tonight. The first 30 minutes, in particular, we were a different class. Cunningham was brilliant on the left and gave great cover, Osbourne was superb defensively and Flint won everything.

But what surprised me was how effective a pair Wade Elliott and Pack were. Pack has been impressing for weeks and i thought that he was our outstanding player on the night this evening, he really did run the game and did some outstanding defensive work. In addition, Wade Elliott, who many posters on here wrote off after he had barely played 45 minutes for us, was very good alongside him. They both kept it simple when they needed to but also played some expansive balls out wide, especially finding Baldock, who was making some fantastic runs. They both made a number of interceptions and it bodes well for the future if Elliott can keep getting better as he looked like pretty decent this evening.

Also thought Barnett worked really hard too and gave JET room and space to express himself, which he did for the first time in weeks in the 2nd half and was back to the JET we know - making the opposition look shite!

Great to hear, particularly Wade Elliott having a good game.

Good to hear, and great result. Interesting to read what you say about JET: wasn't there to see exactly how they lined up, but seemed like he would at last be played in a free role just behind a front two, in what I think was where he played best at Donny. He's never been played there for more than a brief few minutes at City (except at Tamworth): although SoD gave him a freer role it was usually behind a lone striker. Good to see him played along with two strikers tonight, and that it seems to have worked!,

Pleased for elliott as he was unfairly ridiculed against carlisle although you would expect a championship player who has featured in around 18 games this season to make an impression at thjis level.

Lets hope cotterill doesn't tinker with winning team this time.

Good to hear, and great result. Interesting to read what you say about JET: wasn't there to see exactly how they lined up, but seemed like he would at last be played in a free role just behind a front two, in what I think was where he played best at Donny. He's never been played there for more than a brief few minutes at City (except at Tamworth): although SoD gave him a freer role it was usually behind a lone striker. Good to see him played along with two strikers tonight, and that it seems to have worked!,

Agree with this. I think the issue is probably getting the rest of the players sorted so that he can play JET behind a front two, also until Barnett arrived did we actually have a front two?

It was quite a fluid formation actually.

Effectively a back 4, then pack who must have been told to sit in front of the back 4 with wade doing a little more roaming and following his man. Wide men were Greg and Baldock, with Barnett up top and jet in behind.

A 4-2-3-1 I guess on paper that quite easily became a 4-5-1, or a 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 even as the game dictated.

Defensively it was pretty much 10 men behind the ball with Barnett as an outlet.

Attacking it was clear that out front 4 were our threat, with a back 4 and 2 protecting.

From what I could make out this evening it was a 4-4-1-1 really. Baldock played wide right and Cunningham wide left and we had a 4 across the back, which made a big difference. Barnett worked his socks off and enabled JET to play in behind him and he exploited a lot of space in between their midfield and back 4 in the 2nd half as the game got stretched. With Baldock on the right they often attacked as a front 3 too, when we were on the break. It was just great to see such a progressive formation and line up with 3 forwards on the pitch all looking to get into scoring opportunities whenever possible.

Osbourne was also superb right back - without him Baldock on the right would have been far too much of a liability 

For as woeful as we've been all season tonight the outfield players were immense - effort, effort and, when there's nothing left, effort. Elliot (W) turned up for the first time and showed why he's been revered wherever he's played. Nothing spectacular but exactly what we need, closing down, breaking things up, getting niggly, running, running, running. JET (I'm his biggest critic) ran his socks off, best game he's turned in for us, great defensive work, held things up well, show boated when needed - job done. Baldock (as ever) led from the front, great attitude, top-notch finish. Tyrone 'power' even put in a shift and if he wishes to win fans over that's the way to do it, Mr Punch. Much improved organisation at the back, aided we have to say by the O's lack of stature, but Osbourne was faultless and El Abd solid in letting all know he was around. Flint stuck to what he's good at (ariel challenges) didn't expose his weaknesses (passing) and strode forward with purpose (though you're no Franz B fella so no more maurauding like you attempted first half.) Cunningham's turning into Mr Consistant , Pack shadowed Wade by playing things simple and effective. Shame we gifted them a goal as a clean sheet would have been deserved and Moore needs to show he's the boss of his area (he wavered between solid and dodgy) and we need a few clean sheets between now and season's end.

Rest well lads, all please turn up Saturday and show the home supporters what you are capable of when you make a collective effort. Well done too SC, the threat of having one's career terminated by being subbed in favour of Pearson - Masterstroke!

Archived