IGNORED

Old Article About The Gas Song

T R

I was reading this article a few days ago. I don't know how many of you have already read it. I thought some of you who haven't may be interested. My firsts thoughts after reading it, were that they are a perfect match for each other, as the guy who wrote the song turned out to be a murderer (he got away with just 2 years). Also I didn't know about the 19 year old teacher who founded the club in a restaurant, probably because I wasn't interested. Anyone know what sort of restaurant it was? Some of the old youtube videos do not work, no surprise. I couldn't bring myself to play the last video clip at the bottom.

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2008/02/16/the-old-weird-everywhere-bristol-rovers-and-goodnight-irene/

I was reading this article a few days ago. I don't know how many of you have already read it. I thought some of you who haven't may be interested. My firsts thoughts after reading it, were that they are a perfect match for each other, as the guy who wrote the song turned out to be a murderer (he got away with just 2 years). Also I didn't know about the 19 year old teacher who founded the club in a restaurant, probably because I wasn't interested. Anyone know what sort of restaurant it was? Some of the old youtube videos do not work, no surprise. I couldn't bring myself to play the last video clip at the bottom.

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2008/02/16/the-old-weird-everywhere-bristol-rovers-and-goodnight-irene/

Listen to Bourgeois blues and Gallis pole (later covered by Led Zeppelin as Gallows pole) by Leadbelly to see the times he lived in.

sure i saw you singing it at wembley in 2007 ?

Ideal song for the Gash. Dated, popularised by a pissed-up criminal and with lyrics about wanting to kill yourself.

And yet im sure i saw you with 40,000 + others in the Rovers end singing it in 2007 ? :laugh:

sure i saw you singing it at wembley in 2007 ?

And yet im sure i saw you with 40,000 + others in the Rovers end singing it in 2007 ? :laugh:

Interesting point about 2007.

Why do you think nobody watches you anymore? I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts.

Interesting point about 2007.

Why do you think nobody watches you anymore? I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts.

same reasons as the 2 other visit to wembley and same reasons as you arent followed by 40k + like at Wembley........ days like that are 50% hangers on.... a load of mates of mates.... cus all club get that on big game days out... cus Bristol Has the most active saturday football leagues outside London, cus its bloody expensive to watch L2/L1 football, because moneys tight for most of us, and the future of Bristol football looks ropey at best till new infrastructure is built.... amongst other things

why do you think City & Rovers can take 50k to wembley but not even hope of getting half that for a league game... im mean 11k for city nowadays.. after a chairmen spends 40m and the wages are huge but the players rank average .... at our place we fight for 6k watching basement rubbish in a mish mash ground with good tryers as players but lacking in skill.... hardly a big sell at either place 

same reasons as the 2 other visit to wembley and same reasons as you arent followed by 40k + like at Wembley........ days like that are 50% hangers on.... a load of mates of mates.... cus all club get that on big game days outs Bristol Has the most active saturday football leagues outside London, cus its bloody expensive to watch L2/L1 football, because moneys tight for most of us, and the future of Bristol football looks ropey at best till new infrastructure is built.... amongst other things

why do you think City & Rovers can take 50k to wembley but not even hope of getting half that for a league game... im mean 11k for city nowadays.. after a chairmen spends 40m and the wages are huge but the players rank average .... at our place we fight for 6k watching basement rubbish in a mish mash ground with good tryers as players but lacking in skill.... hardly a big sell at either place

After a lot of thought I think its down to no sustained success for either club during the post war pre 80s era. I honestly believe tbat if Bristol onky had one club pre war, the city would boast one the best suppirted succesful teams in England. The pride of the Siuth of England outside of London.

same reasons as the 2 other visit to wembley and same reasons as you arent followed by 40k + like at Wembley........ days like that are 50% hangers on.... a load of mates of mates.... cus all club get that on big game days out... cus Bristol Has the most active saturday football leagues outside London, cus its bloody expensive to watch L2/L1 football, because moneys tight for most of us, and the future of Bristol football looks ropey at best till new infrastructure is built.... amongst other things

Post of the Year so far, even if it is from a Gashead. So what do we do to change it?

Post of the Year so far, even if it is from a Gashead. So what do we do to change it?

Thank god it's only February!

(Only joking Tom)

Success breads success, the closer you get to the premiership, the higher the amount of fans who'll attend

The 40 million we spent isn't a lot in the championship when you consider religated clubs

get that before they start plus overseas hobby owners have (almost) unlimited funds to invest in players...

When we went up in the 70's it was down to the manager having time to build and develop a team, not now when a player can sit in the reserves of a premier club on 10 x the wages we can pay....

Thank god it's only February!

(Only joking Tom)

Success breads success, the closer you get to the Premier League, the higher the amount of fans who'll attend

The 40 million we spent isn't a lot in the championship when you consider religated clubs

get that before they start plus overseas hobby owners have (almost) unlimited funds to invest in players...

When we went up in the 70's it was down to the manager having time to build and develop a team, not now when a player can sit in the reserves of a premier club on 10 x the wages we can pay....

spot on Mucker me ol mate.....Time is something managers are rarely allowed these days.. players have the power now ... back then Managers where the big shots who had the power.. agree about 40m not  being loads in the championship as well but it is loads for a club fighting relagation in L1

No need for Gasheads to jump in the river - they've got their own swamp.

Aiz, when I left the RAF in 1972 I got a job with Reed and Mallik of Salisbury as a Structural Engineer on the M32. I designed all the reinforcement in and around Eastville Stadium where the River Frome runs. being a City boy I had to think of a devious plan and used strengthening rods around the Frome culvert, designed to last  about 40 years with the end result of the area all falling into the Frome taking the Stadium with it. Thankfully the fire took care of the stadium but I wouldnt go to Ikea or Tesco's for a while if I was you :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :gasmask: :gasmask: :innocent06: :innocent06:

Aiz, when I left the RAF in 1972 I got a job with Reed and Mallik of Salisbury as a Structural Engineer on the M32. I designed all the reinforcement in and around Eastville Stadium where the River Frome runs. being a City boy I had to think of a devious plan and used strengthening rods around the Frome culvert, designed to last about 40 years with the end result of the area all falling into the Frome taking the Stadium with it. Thankfully the fire took care of the stadium but I wouldnt go to Ikea or Tesco's for a while if I was you :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :gasmask: :gasmask: :innocent06: :innocent06:

Some poor old bugger (Not Aizoon) has been lost in Ikea for 15 years and is going to get a hell of a surprise when the floor eats him up!!!

Could be worse imagine if he was stuck in Eastville being forced to watch Rovers :gasmask:

Aiz, when I left the RAF in 1972 I got a job with Reed and Mallik of Salisbury as a Structural Engineer on the M32. I designed all the reinforcement in and around Eastville Stadium where the River Frome runs. being a City boy I had to think of a devious plan and used strengthening rods around the Frome culvert, designed to last  about 40 years with the end result of the area all falling into the Frome taking the Stadium with it. Thankfully the fire took care of the stadium but I wouldnt go to Ikea or Tesco's for a while if I was you :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :gasmask: :gasmask: :innocent06: :innocent06:

http://pitchinvasion.net/blog/2009/03/29/eastville-stadium-flowers-fire-gas/

Reading this other article on the pi site about eastville stadium. It said the river often threatened to swamp their ground and did on several occasions. This word swamp keeps coming up with the gas. It follows them around like a bad smell. Even their current ground has been called a swamp, perhaps this is where our crocodile friend came from. I think we ought to start calling them, swamp gas or gas swamp. Whichever way I don't mind.

Archived