IGNORED

Back From Bramhall Lane .......

headhunter

I went north in hope today, after all the Blades had played two games since our last and were bound to be tired and would be there for the taking .... I couldn't have been more wrong (and it was me up first on 20man at 5 for the benefit of one or two on here who thought I wasn't at Oldham!!!)

United were out of the traps in a way that belied any tiredness but reflected a team with confidence, something we don't have at all. That said Moore wasn't tested and rather foolishly 5 mins b4 the break with us getting back into the game I said,  "... if we can hold out until half time and keep them quiet for the first 15 of the 2nd half we might get something", doh!!!! 1-0 down less than 90 seconds later.

In the second half we were shocking ..... no pattern to our play, no leadership .... in fact it looked like we had no ***king idea what we were doing at all.

Here are my match ratings

Moore     5   No better than Parrish, dreadful kicking (and to think we criticised that part of Basso's game)

Osbourne 4 Torn apart down our right flank (should be in the centre)

El Abd  5  Can't see how Brighton fans rated him so highly

Flint    5    He is what he is - av league 1 defender of limited ability

Williams 6  Did OK

Baldock  5 Disappointing

Pack  5 offered little protection to back 4

Elliott 7 Tried to get things moving in midfield. I'm not a fan of this 35 yr old but he showed some invention

Cunningham  6   A few good runs

JET    4     Time for him to be used as an imapct player. 1/10th of the player he was 5 months ago 

Barnett 4  I can't recall a City forward offering as little as he does; zero pace, control, mobility

Subs - will just commment on Pearson; I was never a fan but I think should be given a run in the side after a reasonable contribution late on.

1st shot on target on 75 mins is a DISGRACE

So, who do we blame the players or the manager. I have to say the former as they were gutless and should apologise as a team to the 800 who made the trip.

As for SC - biggest mistake (so far) was signing El Abd

I went north in hope today, after all the Blades had played two games since our last and were bound to be tired and would be there for the taking .... I couldn't have been more wrong (and it was me up first on 20man at 5 for the benefit of one or two on here who thought I wasn't at Oldham!!!)

United were out of the traps in a way that belied any tiredness but reflected a team with confidence, something we don't have at all. That said Moore wasn't tested and rather foolishly 5 mins b4 the break with us getting back into the game I said,  "... if we can hold out until half time and keep them quiet for the first 15 of the 2nd half we might get something", doh!!!! 1-0 down less than 90 seconds later.

In the second half we were shocking ..... no pattern to our play, no leadership .... in fact it looked like we had no ***king idea what we were doing at all.

Moore     5   No better than Parrish, dreadful kicking (and to think we criticised that part of Basso's game)

Williams 6  Did OK

Baldock  5 Disappointing

Elliott 7 Tried to get things moving in midfield. I'm not a fan of this 35 yr old but he showed some invention

JET    4     Time for him to be used as an imapct player. 1/10th of the player he was 5 months ago 

Barnett 4  I can't recall a City forward offering as little as he does; zero pace, control, mobility

Subs - will just commment on Pearson; I was never a fan but I think should be given a run in the side after a reasonable contribution late on.

So, who do we blame the players or the manager. I have to say the former as they were gutless and should apologise as a team to the 800 who made the trip.

Thanks for this HH.

What's worrying is that Pack's generally looked quite competent recently, but if he is neither protecting the back 4 or getting the ball to feet further up then we should - if medically possible - be getting Kelly in that position.

Just back myself....

Really wtf does Barnett offer??

As for coterill not even acknowledging the fans at the end, that is unforgivable. Not even a clap towards us.

Not sure why the biggest cheers was when jet got subbed. Not really helpful. Yes he isn't doing great but we are not playing to his strengths. He needs the ball to feet not pumped aimlessly up the yield from Flint. Play it to the guys feet.

I do fear for us....

How did the fans react during the game? Did it start getting angry?

Yes...... Quite a few songs about the abject performance and lack of pride!

Huge cheer when JET was subbed..... And at the end of the game Matty Hill got more applause than any of the city players! No real recognition by the players for the fans at the final whistle!

The original poster is obviously a much more kinder man than I if he managed to only give 3 players a score of below 5.

I think I remember seeing a Sunderland match report in their local paper a few months ago when all the players got 1? That would be closer to the mark for today's 'performance'.

Absolute dross and only losing by 3 flatters us.

The original poster is obviously a much more kinder man than I if he managed to only give 3 players a score of below 5.

I think I remember seeing a Sunderland match report in their local paper a few months ago when all the players got 1? That would be closer to the mark for today's 'performance'.

Absolute dross and only losing by 3 flatters us.

An all-team round loss of form and confidence, BR? Or hamstrung by tactics?

I'd be interested in your wider analysis of where we failed today.

Williams 6  Did OK

Baldock  5 Disappointing

Reminded me of Brighton away, 2 or 3 years ago now.

Back from match,

We were awful full stop.

Apart from Baldock and wade Elliott the other 9 were not worthy to pick up a wage.

Defence look lost and with pack sat in front of them in a 433 we've no outball apart from long punts all the time.

Barnett tried hard up front but control let him down, but hard when you win headers and Baldocks on wing and jet on halfway line.

Jet he's an enigma, the guy waltzed around today and appeared after 15 mins to be up for it and then suddenly he seemed to lose interest. Was a liability in middle of park by keep giving the ball away.

Goals conceded 1st one how many more times we going to switch off on a corner. Basic football and it seems no one on the team can organise that defence.

Second goal only time In match we strung some passes together jet to Baldock to Barnett who's control let him down straight to keeper. But then there player gets ball from keeper walks 70 yds unchallenged and then rolls it across our box for a player standing there free to rifle in. What the hell was our team doing letting people walk through like that.

Why are we playing 433, getting torn apart every week and seems mad when we had a perfectly good 352 working for us.

Sc not acknowledging fans at end most players sneaking off, fans booing chanting what a load of rubbish. What has happened to our team, few months back may of been boring but we drew or lost by odd goal, now were losing 3 1 and 3 0 regularly away from home.

Drastic action needed ASAP or if we play like today we are going down.

An all-team round loss of form and confidence, BR? Or hamstrung by tactics?

I'd be interested in your wider analysis of where we failed today.

I guess whenever you're as bad as were today it has to be a bit of both and I would have to give some credit to United who I thought were excellent and have clearly turned the corner we have been looking for for the last god knows how long!

We were just atrocious, with and without the ball. With the ball we did nothing other than lump it from front to back (while Sheffield United on the other hand had two centre backs clearly extremely comfortable bringing the ball out from the back) and I'm not any fan of Barnett, but we didn't give him a chance. I reckon he'd rather be sat in the stand at London Road rather then being asked to chase hopeless causes for us all afternoon.

If you were being charitable you could say that just before we conceded we had thought out way into the game after being under the cosh for the entire opening 20 minutes, but it's hard to be charitable when we were so poor for so long and give away an opening goal as soft as that was.

The two fullbacks looked exactly what they are. Out of position centre halves. The two midfield players were both poor (although many seem to think Elliott played well) and neither managed to control possession for us or provide any protection for what is clearly a back four lacking in confidence (isn't it always). Pack has impressed me recently, but he was really bad today and just seemed to have one of those afternoons where everything goes wrong.

As for the two centre halves, I've tried to defend Flint a few times and I do think there is a decent player in there somewhere, but they were both awful and as I saw someone post on here in the week, if we stick with those 2 for the rest of this season we will be relegated. Credit to Flint for getting back and saving a certain goal after some more dodgy keeping from Moore (another player who seems to be suffering from being asked to play for us) but I think at least one of Osbourne or Williams, and possibly both, need to be moved into the middle.

Sadly Sheffield United did just look better than us in every aspect and it would be wrong for me to try and say 'we lost because of this' or 'maybe if we'd have done that we would have won' we were just outclassed by one of the few teams in the league that had sat below us. I would say that when you're scratching around like we are the best bet would be back to basics and get everyone playing in their best position and given roles they are confident of being able to perform, but then that team won at Leyton Orient, so what do I know?

I think our afternoon was summed up when we finally manged to create something late on and then Baldock heads it straight at the keeper and then Barnett smashes the ball that at a guess landed somewhere in Chesterfield.

I guess whenever you're as bad as were today it has to be a bit of both and I would have to give some credit to United who I thought were excellent and have clearly turned the corner we have been looking for for the last god knows how long!.

I wouldn't agree that United were excellent! In fact I would say they were poor and I can see why many teams have beaten them there! Any neutral watching the first half could tell it too poor teams!

We were too easy to play against! Couldn't string two passes together and going forward when we did have the ball, there was no movement into space, no creativity or urgency to apply pressure to their defence!

A Sunday league defence could have defended successfully against us today! In fact utd were often playing the ball out and giving it back to us cheaply, but we were just so kind to give it back to them again!

As for our defending, why are they making basic footballing errors that you would be disappointed with as a Sunday league player! We let them run at the defence and cut inside when they should have been shown outside to the wing! Obsborne should never have dived in to give away the penalty.

Just back myself....

Really wtf does Barnett offer??

As for coterill not even acknowledging the fans at the end, that is unforgivable. Not even a clap towards us.

Not sure why the biggest cheers was when jet got subbed. Not really helpful. Yes he isn't doing great but we are not playing to his strengths. He needs the ball to feet not pumped aimlessly up the yield from Flint. Play it to the guys feet.

I do fear for us....

The problem with JET today was he was not prepared to do anything to get the ball.You may be right about the service he needs but if he does not get this service ,, that is no excuse to do nothing all game .He is letting his fellow players , the supporters and the club who pay his wages down.

I wouldn't agree that United were excellent! In fact I would say they were poor and I can see why many teams have beaten them there! Any neutral watching the first half could tell it too poor teams!

I may be slightly exaggerating how well United played, but I thought they did play well and were certainly better than a lot of the dross we have came up against (and produced ourselves) this season.

I may be slightly exaggerating how well United played, but I thought they did play well and were certainly better than a lot of the dross we have came up against (and produced ourselves) this season.

I don't have too many games to compare with this season, so maybe my expectations of league one football or our performances is a bit high, but I dread to think how many goals one of the more clinical teams in the division would have put past us on that performance!

Just back too.

I said on another thread - bored, angry, embarrassed was the order of the day as a fan today.

As mentioned above, Matty Hill got the best reception from City fans. Not surprised that City players didn't come over - those who started to were roundly booed.

TMS - like you, I just don't get Barnett. He must offer something, or else he'd not have made a career in professional football. But I honestly can't see what it is. I'm not trying to be offensive - I just genuinely don't see where his ability lies and what it is that we're failing to capitalise on. He doesn't win much in the air, he can't hold the ball up, he's shown no evidence of that strikers ability to be in the right place in the box, there must be something that we're not seeing?

His first touch, when he was put through into their box, was truly awful - and they came straight down the other end and scored. And that is meant to be critical!

Oh - and on twitter the Sheff fans not only think we're the worst team in the league - they also think that we should all get our money back for today!

Williams 6  Did OK

Baldock  5 Disappointing

I'd have to take a point or two off of Williams rating for the basic error of, in the second half, standing outside of the playing area to receive a pass. Amateurish and wasteful. Especially as there wasn't an opposition player near him. Summed us up today, Inept!

Early in the 2nd half before it was 2-0, Sammy Baldock done a lovely flick on, from a move started by Elliott, Sammy flicked it through two defenders and the JET of 6 months ago would have pounced on it, today he just looked at it and let a defender run and pick it up. Was an absolute disgrace. If he moved his fat arse he would have been onto it and in a great position to make it 1-1.

Wade Elliott had two good shots at goal, one going wide and the other forcing a good save from their keeper, in which the rebound fell into baldocks lap who only had to put his foot on it and it was a goal. For some odd reason he headed right at the keeper for it to rebound to Barnett with an empty net, no more than 5 yards out and a keeper on the ground, and he put it 3 foot wide. Absolutely shocking. Anyone with half a footballing brain would have buried either Baldocks or Barnetts chance from that position, but once again Powder Puff finishing cost us very dear.

My views today.

Moore - Despite letting 3 in, none were goals the defence helped him with, and he never actually had to really make many saves today. He commands his box well and appears to have a safe enough pair of hands, but he looks to be starting to lose his confidence in the defence. He is no worse and no better than Parish, he didn't have a bad game, nor a good game (5)

Osborne - Gave away stupid pen and looked lightweight. Gradually gave up and didn't really look interested. (4)

Williams - Made a couple of errors, but did push forwards on occasion and gave a couple of good crosses and made a block or two in the first half, one of our better defenders. Reminds me a bit of Bradley Orr in that he could also do a job on the right wing. (6)

El Abd - Wow, what a waste of a wage !! Afraid to get stuck in and his options when he got the ball was pass to Moore or Hoof to opposition. Let the bearded lad of theirs get the slip on so many occasions and it led to a goal and a penalty his piss poor marking. Seriously we have Fontaine in the reserves and Carey on the bench who at least put some effort in !!!! Grabage, get rid. (1)

Flint - Couple of clearances from corners and doesn't do too badly. Certainly not at fault for any of the goals. It's quite sad however that I noticed that he was wearing difference socks to any of our defenders today and they looked transparent , looked like he was wearing tights. I think that says it all when you notice more about a players sock than their contribution ! (4)

Cunningham - Looked spritely at the back, made a couple of good tackles in the first half and made a couple of good pass and run moves with Wade Elliott. Couple of good crosses and was easily one of our best players when subbed. Quite why he was subbed I don't know as he had a solid game. (6)

Pack - Done a good shift in the middle, linking up well with Elliot, but was easily pushed off the ball. Looked good pushing forward, offered little tracking back. Need someone a bit more physical in central midfield, but in an on the ground attacking team, he would look good. In a hoof ball merchant team, he looks lost. He didn't do a lot wrong and probably right call to sub him for Pearson but his shift shouldn't have seem him first subbed. (6)

Wade Elliott - Credit to the club today and for the first time I've seen him in a City shirt I was impressed. Good movement, and made numerous good tackles and chased the ball all game long and tracked back. Looked dangerous going forward and moved some good balls to our attack who just watched it. Put Baldock onto some very good balls and he wasn't afraid to attack the defensive line. Good effort early whistled wide, and then very good volley which forced a fine save from the keeper before Baldock and Barnett missed sitters from the rebounds. Kept playing and trying until the final whistle and at the veteran age of 35 he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch for us. Unless Kelly is ready to come back into the first team and is fit enough to come in for 90 and do a job, then when should definitely extend his loan. (8)

Baldock - Didn't play badly but frequently marked out of the game sadly. Didn't do a lot wrong and had a couple of decent efforts when he got in position. Should have scored near the end, but wasn't afraid to get stuck in and every time he put the ball to JET or Barnett they didn't even move. Felt a bit sorry for him today, as he didn't play badly and you could see he looked frustrated, (6)

Barnett - Missed an absolute sitter at the end and I don't think he broke out of a walk all game. Didn't chase the ball and looked afraid to move for the ball. Offers us absolutely nothing and how he got 90 minutes was beyond me. (1)

JET - If this is the same player we had six months ago then he should be charged for Fraud, because he looks anything but a footballer. NO passion, no effort, no point ! In the first half give some credit, he made an excellent block to prevent them from scoring, but he would not move for the ball and gave it away far too easily. Baldock presented him a fine ball to run onto and score and he just stood there and watched it. Very disappointed and looks like a player who doesn't want to be here, but I can tell you the feelings mutual, I don't want him to be here. How he even got 70 minutes was beyond me. (2) 

Subs

Pearson - Good shift when he came on, making a couple of passes, got stuck in, had a couple of decent shots and started the link up move for Elliotts volley which saw Sam and Tyrone miss their sitters. Definitely looked positive when he came on and deserves to start instead of JET being played in behind our strikes. Time to scrap the 3-5-2, and go 4-3-1-2 and have him in behind Baldock and Burns. (7)

Burns - Couple of good runs and looked lively, didn't get enough playing time but still looked better than JET and Barnett. Should start instead of Barnett next week, playing off Baldocks shoulder. (7)

Reid - Shouldn't have replaced Cunningham and played no better than Cunningham. He's too light weight for me and easily pushed off the ball but at least put some effort in, nothing wrong but Cunningham offers us more, and Bryan would have offered us even more and probably should have been the one to come on and not Reid. He didn't play badly but not convinced he is physically strong enough for an attacking midfielder. (5).

Overall very poor performance except the movement and vision of Elliott in midfield and pleasing games from Baldock, Pack, Williams and Cunningham. Burns and Pearson looked good off the bench.

Next week I would go with

Moore

Williams , Carey ©, Flint, Cunningham

Bryan, Wade Elliott, Pack

Pearson

Burns , Baldock

In a 4-3-1-2, using Cunningham and Williams as wing backs, and Carey to steady the back. Allow Pearson to play in the hole where he can link up with Bryan and Pack in an attacking and holding midfield and play Burns off Baldock in a Tarquesta / Poacher role.

Oh and Cotterill lets try and attack and play the ball on the ground please !

Subs

Fielding

Kelly
Reid

Osborne

Fontaine

JET

Joe Morall

Would just say, I thought we were playing 433. ( or 4321 jet floating baldock on right) Which meant we were overran in midfield constantly.

Barnett chance at end was on volley but should of scored and thought he tried but with no support when he won ball was hard for him, also in injurytime he ran 80 yds tracking there no. 22 when he was free on there right to concede a throw for our midfield defence just vanished. By then we were playing no formation at all.

Pearson and Reid were floating about and burns was on right with baldock, leaving Elliott and Barnett as the only 2 players down the middle.

Thing is until our team learn to stop conceding from set pieces and track runners and put in tackles we are stuffed.

Guy behind me was complaining our defence were standing off but if your midfield is up pitch and your 2 wide players baldock and Cunningham are missing what are your defenders supposed to do commit themselves or try to hold up the play.

The manager needs to ask himself why when we were playing 352 around Xmas and doing well has he decided to change the formation.

The Manager is at a loss as 'they did not put anything that they did in training into the game',well that is obvious as you don't train to give the ball away again and again.

The players that did okay were Baldock,Elliott,Osbourne and Cunningham but the rest were poor and you can not play with six players off their game.

The youngsters at least have the enthusiasm that we want from all players but are they good enough ?  

Carey surely has to be a better option than El Abd.....at least he cares and knows how to organise the defence, he has rarely let us down and deserves a place against Gilingham.  As for JET, it would appear that SOD was the only manager who can get performances from him,  and as now we have The Second Hand Car Salesman in charge, its unlikely that we will get to see the enigma that is JET back to his best

TMS - like you, I just don't get Barnett. He must offer something, or else he'd not have made a career in professional football. But I honestly can't see what it is. I'm not trying to be offensive - I just genuinely don't see where his ability lies and what it is that we're failing to capitalise on. He doesn't win much in the air, he can't hold the ball up, he's shown no evidence of that strikers ability to be in the right place in the box, there must be something that we're not seeing?

Yeah like you say he must offer something as he wouldn't be playing pro football. The fact that he is unable to win a header is one of my biggest gripes. The tactics coterill is playing, the lump up pitch predominantly from flint, requires someone to win the flick on I'm guessing for baldock to then latch on to. As he doesn't win a header it takes two players out of the game.

The fact that he plays Barnett, jet and baldock from the start means we have no striker left on the bench to come on and effect the game.

As for the money back at least it was only a tenner :)

After reading this post i had to register and reply.. 

First of all, where on earth were your 800 or so fans? Id say you brought 200-250 max. Even when you were all chanting how much 
you hate Rovers you were pretty much silent. 

Secondly, you talk about our team having played twice before the game against City, yet if you do a little research you 
will notice the team sheet changed alot in those two games to give players a chance to rest, especially the older lads in the squad. 

Although the term "there a team with confidence" id have to agree, but id also have to add were a bloody good side also with 
the appointment of Clough showcasing the talent we have at the club. Some may say City played poor but id just say United 
played well. Both teams had chances..

And also you talk about how your team showed a lack of support to the traveling fans but what on earth do you expect when 
as soon as the final whistle was blown you were boo'ing your team off the pitch? And city had the away half of the pitch in the second half so obviously
it was the first thing they heard leaving the pitch. 

Anyway, iv had my ten pence worth.. on to the next one.. enjoy your season City.. the Blades started of crap at the start of the season,
look at us now.. knocking premiership teams out of the FA Cup and battering an IN-FORM championship team. Your time will come :) 

Archived