IGNORED

Drinking While Pregnant To Be A Criminal Offence?

Barrs Court Red

Well I hsve no time for anyone that drinks or smokes with a unborn child on board. You could be condemning that child to any sort of nasties that they will then have to live with for life.

Should it be illegal. Well probably yes, is it illegal to force feed anyone toxic smoke and alcohol? I am guessing yes as I don't know. ... if so surely it follows suit with a unborn baby.

Those that have no say surely need some sort of protection from ******* idiots.

I believe the suggestion is against excessive consumption of alcohol, with around 100 babies a year suffering from abnormalities due their mother's excessive drinking. Probably needs to be some sort of legal control to protect the innocent as TRL says but it will be a minefield: What level will be acceptable if there's a limit rather than an outright ban? What will the punishments be? Heavy fines, imprisonment of pregnant women?

On the other hand, excessive drinking just before pregnancy has occasionally had its consequences.

I believe the suggestion is against excessive consumption of alcohol, with around 100 babies a year suffering from abnormalities due their mother's excessive drinking. Probably needs to be some sort of legal control to protect the innocent as TRL says but it will be a minefield: What level will be acceptable if there's a limit rather than the ban? What will the punishments be? Heavy fines, imprisonment of pregnant women?

On the other hand, excessive drinking just before pregnancy has occasionally had its consequences.

:laugh: last sentence. That is where you hope for brewers droop.

As for the rest. Well imprisonment maybe the way to go, but maybe not in some sort of offshoot to the prison system, where they are kept out of harms way from drink drugs and smoke umtil after the Birth. Would be a minefield to enforce and cost a fortune. Add to that the complexity of catching them in the act!

:laugh: last sentence. That is where you hope for brewers droop.

As for the rest. Well imprisonment maybe the way to go, but maybe not in some sort of offshoot to the prison system, where they are kept out of harms way from drink drugs and smoke umtil after the Birth. Would be a minefield to enforce and cost a fortune. Add to that the complexity of catching them in the act!

I can't believe imprisonment would be right, and heavy fines seem pointless. Thinking this through would probably send those caught on an alcohol awareness course, a  bit like the speed awareness courses for motorists, and then stronger punishments for subsequent offences.

The odd drink should be no harm - excessive drinking though.........

You say that. But how hard is it not to drink when pregnant? If you really want the child, to forgo alcohol for 9 months or from the point you find out you are pregnant is not exactly a hardship. If it is then you have a drink problem and should be watched.

It is zero consumption from me on that basis alone.

You say that. But how hard is it not to drink when pregnant? If you really want the child, to forgo alcohol for 9 months or from the point you find out you are pregnant is not exactly a hardship. If it is then you have a drink problem and should be watched.

I would love to see the proof the odd glass of wine would hurt a fetus - if you want to protect unborn children then i would imagine banning women from traveling in cars, eating transfats / excessive sugars would be much better ----- but that does not fit into the puritans new crusade - they did smoking and now moving onto alcohol.... what a better place to start than the poor unprotected unborn.

Not necessarily. I enjoy the occasional drink because I do. I could never drink again if I chose to, but just because I don't doesn't mean I'm addicted or have drink problem. I can't see why a pregnant woman couldn't have a glass of wine with her lunch if she wanted and know of  no evidence that that would affect the foetus. She shouldn't drink to excess, obviously, but I don't think that zero tolerance is reasonable. Even the people calling for this ban aren't asking for a total ban - they're talking about excessive drinking. Better education is the key to this, IMO, only backed up by law in extreme cases.

Not necessarily. I enjoy the occasional drink because I do. I could never drink again if I chose to, but just because I don't doesn't mean I'm addicted or have drink problem. I can't see why a pregnant woman couldn't have a glass of wine with her lunch if she wanted and know of no evidence that that would affect the foetus. She shouldn't drink to excess, obviously, but I don't think that zero tolerance is reasonable. Even the people calling for this ban aren't asking for a total ban - they're talking about excessive drinking. Better education is the key to this, IMO, only backed up by law in extreme cases.

Again I say going 9 months without drinking is not hard, unless you have no will power, and with something you would assume they think it is so precious inside why even contemplate a drop?

I really don't care if one glass here or there is not detrimental to the foetus. If you care that much about this life you are bringing into the world don't drink and don't smoke.

If you can't or are not willing to stop for 9 months that says a lot of bad things about a person. Likewise for dads who smoke around expectant mothers.

If this hits a raw nerve with anyone I don't care.

I personally have no kids, don't want kids and don't like kids, but for those bringing them into the world, its time to grow up and think about someone other than yourselves for 9 months.

Again I say going 9 months without drinking is not hard, unless you have no will power, and with something you would assume they think it is so precious inside why even contemplate a drop?

I really don't care if one glass here or there is not detrimental to the foetus. If you care that much about this life you are bringing into the world don't drink and don't smoke.

If you can't or are not willing to stop for 9 months that says a lot of bad things about a person. Likewise for dads who smoke around expectant mothers.

If this hits a raw nerve with anyone I don't care.

I personally have no kids, don't want kids and don't like kids, but for those bringing them into the world, its time to grow up and think about someone other than yourselves for 9 months.

It has no effect on the foetus so why would they not have a drink now and then - the foetus is more likely to come from harm from a car accident, falling down the stairs, so stop expectant mothers from driving etc if you want to help unborns out.

"I really don't care if one glass here or there is not detrimental to the foetus. If you care that much about this life you are bringing into the world don't drink"

makes no sense at all, your saying - I know it causes no harm, but you shouldn't do it because I am holding some sort of puritan crusade against you for no reason.... 

It has no effect on the foetus so why would they not have a drink now and then - the foetus is more likely to come from harm from a car accident, falling down the stairs, so stop expectant mothers from driving etc if you want to help unborns out.

"I really don't care if one glass here or there is not detrimental to the foetus. If you care that much about this life you are bringing into the world don't drink"

makes no sense at all, your saying - I know it causes no harm, but you shouldn't do it because I am holding some sort of puritan crusade against you for no reason....

Not at all. It is proven smoke and drink harms foetuses. As each persons reaction to alcohol is different how do we know each foetus reaction is not different or have scientists plied women with alcohol to different degrees to find out if they damage the foetus? And if they did the outcome could be different for each foetus. So to take chance of damage away, what must you do?

Bringing in driving falling down the stairs would be be through a accident, smoking or drinking is a choice, you make knowing full well you should not be doing. So completely irrelevant to the argument.

To be honest I don't care for irresponsible people. Whatever they choose to do, be it drink driving or other such stupid decisions that put others at risk. I care little about others children. They on the other hand should if they choose to have them.

....dunno what mums to be drinking habits are but for sure theres far too much excessive post-natal drinking going on in homes around the country.

Parents both male & female have a responsibility to their children not to get so rat-arsed as to not being capable of looking after the children in their care effectively... So much emotional abuse if not physical occurs unnoticed in families to kiddies witnessing irresponsible behaviour of both mums & dads... having fun & relaxing with a nice drink is fine but for too many parents it goes way beyond that, often habitual 'recreational' drug use is added to the mix ... Kids in these home, no matter how loved they may be undoubtedly suffer in one way or another, so its not just 9 months of pre-parenthood its upwards of a decade after birth that matters big-time.

Its all a matter of moderation, and common sense, trouble is that for many people nowadays common-sense is in increasingly short supply...

Archived