IGNORED

Future Managers

harvey54

And before you all start shouting, this is not a Cotterill out post so hang in there.

I was just wondering, how many other fans of teams in League One have a manager they don't really want?

Evidence tends to suggest that SC was not anyone's number one choice apart from the Board.  They did not appear to have anyone else in the frame, nobody else was interviewed and Mr Lansdown himself has claimed that Warnock, a healthy percentage of fan's choice, was not spoken to when Warnock has stated that he may have been interested.

This club has a supporter's club and a fan's parliament yet I don't recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that either was approached to sound out SOD's replacement. I think that if they had, they would have got a resounding 'NO' to Cotterill.

Maybe in future someone might ask either or the fans representatives and that we might actually get a manager we can get behind and have a little faith in.

Fair enough, but if asked the same fans might well have voted for SO'D and before him Del

I make you right there. I was excited about the appointments of O'Driscoll and McInnes, I felt Millen deserved a chance after his performance as caretaker and I think we all hoped for great things from Coppell. Cotterill is the only appointment since Johnson I wasn't happy about (I was happy about Johnson too, he's just a logical cutoff point). Some may have had doubts about each of them but I'd wager the majority was in favour.

I doubt it very much but I sincerely hope the club got a long term plan for the young Spanish U-18 manager currently at the club. What have Swansea done? We hide away behind Styvar. Remember 90 percent of our signings have been shit. "Manager" or "player". Let's not follow the same abysmal footsteps for another plus 100 years.      

I'm not calling for SC's head, infact I seem to be in a minority where I actually quite like him

But Karl Robinson at MK dons, It seems he's done all he can for that club, and will need a new challenge.. his personality and playing style would be a hit with the fans

The home game against MK Dons was probably the game this season where we created the most chances. Defensively they were very poor, but decent going forward. We also scored with 2 long balls up to Baldock in the away game.

It seems to me that in the eyes of many City fans, most managers (and players) are seen as useless if/when they don't come here.

Managers and players that fans think are pretty good are usually guaranteed to become useless once they come here.

BCFC_Dan pretty much nails it for me;

- Was wasn't displeased when we gave Millen the job (felt he'd shown enough for a chance); turned out to lack the acumen to be in the hot seat, but proven a decent assistant since with Palace.

- Was very pleased when McInnes signed on (promising young manager, well regarded in the game); ended up we took the chance too soon and he was a flop, but is now back building his career again.

- Was DELIGHTED when we got O'Driscoll (had 'unfashionable' teams punching above their weight for years, reputation for good football); got the sack because the 'cultural change' he was helming simply didn't have enough of an impact on results in the short term and looked to have lost the chairman's support, and we've yet to see where he goes next.

- Was NOT very excited by Cotterill's appointment (18 months without a manager's role made me wary, as did the 'nomadic' feel of his CV since 2007); currently for me the jury is still out, with the one single thing he will be judged on above all other, which is if we stay in this league.  

I don't care if the football is carp, I don't care who plays, I don't care if the 'five pillars' tumble down, I don't care if he gives good or bad press, I don't care about the length of his contract; his job on appointment was to rescue us, which he acknowledged at the time.  If he fails in this he has failed utterly, lining up with every manager since (and including) McInnes as having done so.  

That isn't to say we don't then stick by him and see if he can extract us from the quagmire of League Two, but it would be hogwash to suggest he didn't have the time, resources or opportunity to complete his task IF things pan out this way.

Of course, the same works in reverse; if we stay up, however we manage it and whatever he does doing so, then he's been successful.

Regardless of whichever happens come May, I support him now (though not without question) and hope he proves the first manager since Millen to not have been directly or indirectly responsible for a relegation.

Yes, I think so. She works on the till for nothing, to help out the poor buggers at Esso.

Having a billion quid that you've made by dabbling in stocks and shares etc doesn't seem to buy you the skill set for talented manager appointments, unfortunately.

Yes, I see your point that she is obviously more qualified

Having a billion quid that you've made by dabbling in stocks and shares etc doesn't seem to buy you the skill set for talented manager appointments, unfortunately.

Seriously, if I was SL and I read something like that, I'd be mahoosively p1553d off.  Firstly, I hardly think he's "dabbled" to earn his millions, and secondly, the lack of appreciation for what he's done and the money invested (not all of it wisely, admittedly) would have me packing my bags with a cheery "Stuff you lot, then"

Seriously, if I was SL and I read something like that, I'd be mahoosively p1553d off. Firstly, I hardly think he's "dabbled" to earn his millions, and secondly, the lack of appreciation for what

he's done and the money invested (not all of it

wisely, admittedly) would have me packing my

bags with a cheery "Stuff you lot, then"

With you on this SecretSam. Perhaps SL should do what the guy at Kidderminster did (after online abuse) and take his money elsewhere.

Seriously, if I was SL and I read something like that, I'd be mahoosively p1553d off.  Firstly, I hardly think he's "dabbled" to earn his millions, and secondly, the lack of appreciation for what he's done and the money invested (not all of it wisely, admittedly) would have me packing my bags with a cheery "Stuff you lot, then"

Like a huge amount of the fan base, then!

Then surely he should have done better here especially when he signed the likes of "class act" Jody Morris

Also signed Heaton, Cunningham, Kelly, Baldock and Davies. Admittedly, it's difficult to defend him for Foster, Morris and Mark Wilson. So, just like every other manager, his signings had some good and some bad.

Del took the job too soon, it's quite clear for all to see. We looked good at times under him, but he felt the pressure big time during the losing stint we had around about October time last year. He panicked and didn't know his best team/formation. It's a shame that proved to be the case after the way we ended the 2011/12 season and also began the 2012/13 season (performances vs Cardiff, Palace and Posh). I have always rated Del and I'm sure he'll prove to be a success elsewhere in England in the future. It's no coincidence that experienced managers like Coppell and O'Driscoll have also failed here, so you can hardly blame him for struggling with a job that was such a difficult job to begin with.

I just wish we had kept Cisse and Bikey when we had the chance to, that summer.

Also signed Heaton, Cunningham, Kelly, Baldock and Davies. Admittedly, it's difficult to defend him for Foster, Morris and Mark Wilson. So, just like every other manager, his signings had some good and some bad.

Del took the job too soon, it's quite clear for all to see. We looked good at times under him, but he felt the pressure big time during the losing stint we had around about October time last year. He panicked and didn't know his best team/formation. It's a shame that proved to be the case after the way we ended the 2011/12 season and also began the 2012/13 season (performances vs Cardiff, Palace and Posh). I have always rated Del and I'm sure he'll prove to be a success elsewhere in England in the future. It's no coincidence that experienced managers like Coppell and O'Driscoll have also failed here, so you can hardly blame him for struggling with a job that was such a difficult job to begin with.

I just wish we had kept Cisse and Bikey when we had the chance to, that summer.

Agreed, but the previous poster had said he can only manage what is in front of him. My point with Morris in particular is that he signed most of what was in front of him.

I make you right there. I was excited about the appointments of O'Driscoll and McInnes, I felt Millen deserved a chance after his performance as caretaker and I think we all hoped for great things from Coppell. Cotterill is the only appointment since Johnson I wasn't happy about (I was happy about Johnson too, he's just a logical cutoff point). Some may have had doubts about each of them but I'd wager the majority was in favour.

Have to agree.

I think most of us wanted SOD and McInnes. I was certainly very impressed with both appointments.

I must admit I didn't want SC but of course hope to be proved wrong.

And he did crap here; circular argument.

He wasn't ready for Championship management.  He may in the future, but he was crap for us.

Exactly.

There is absolutely no other angle on it. Del was absolutely shite for us.

All very well people praising him now. I think people have forgotten just how bad his time here was because of how bad his replacement turned out to be and of course how well he is doing in a pub league now.

He may well go onto be a good manager in England one day but he was way out of his depth here. I've said it before but for as bad as SOD's time was at least he left a bit of a positive legacy. Del on the other hand did not.

Archived