IGNORED

Penalties

Simon79

There is a lot of talk about penalties today after Hodgson talking about them and the possible use of a psychologist at the World Cup. Was wondering if anyone had a theory as to the best way to deal with the penalty shoot out conundrum? I've always had the idea that a good way to go about this is for the manager to decide where to put the ball, bottom left etc. my theory is that this takes some kind of pressure of the player, the decision was the managers after all! I also believe that a player should be able to hit a specific spot from 12 yards when instructed. Managers make all the decisions and then possibly the most important decision of them all, it's left to the player. Thoughts?

The most important player in a penalty shootout is your goalkeeper - all other countries realise this except us, it would seem.

The record of English goalkeepers in shootouts (World Cups and Euros) is 36 kicks faced, but only 3 saved.

Improve that ratio and we'll start winning more shootouts.

Possibly, but a well taken penalty will 99% of the time end up in the back of the net IMO. So maybe the 33 we conceded were just good penalties?

Possibly, but a well taken penalty will 99% of the time end up in the back of the net IMO. So maybe the 33 we conceded were just good penalties?

Whilst a well struck penalty should always guarantee a goal, the fact is in a shootout at least two or three of the opposition's kicks won't be perfect. Look at Jens Lehmann - in 2006 he dived the right way for all of Argentina's penalties in the World Cup quarter final shootout, because the Germans had done their homework properly, and realised the advantage that could have.

Our keepers have tended to shrug their shoulders and say 'oh well, I'm not really the favourite to save any of these, am I?'

Whilst a well struck penalty should always guarantee a goal, the fact is in a shootout at least two or three of the opposition's kicks won't be perfect. Look at Jens Lehmann - in 2006 he dived the right way for all of Argentina's penalties in the World Cup quarter final shootout, because the Germans had done their homework properly, and realised the advantage that could have.

Our keepers have tended to shrug their shoulders and say 'oh well, I'm not really the favourite to save any of these, am I?'

Would agree with. Homework is definitely worth doing. Fairly sure I remember Ben Foster watching penalties on some device just before a shoot out in a cup final for someone, fairly sure he ended up the hero. But going back to my original post, the manager choosing the spot to put the kick then eradicates the use of homework for the opposition.

Would agree with. Homework is definitely worth doing. Fairly sure I remember Ben Foster watching penalties on some device just before a shoot out in a cup final for someone, fairly sure he ended up the hero. But going back to my original post, the manager choosing the spot to put the kick then eradicates the use of homework for the opposition.

Agreed.

In summary, we haven't been good enough at taking penalties, and we haven't been good enough at saving them, either! We're doomed either way if that continues...

Practise is useful for familiarity and getting routines into your head but penalties are about nothing but mental strength. Any footballer should be able to hit a ball accurately enough to hit the target and beat a keeper 9 times out of 10 or more from the penalty spot. Doing it after 120 minutes when the whole country will lynch you is another matter, and you can't practise that.

Practise is useful for familiarity and getting routines into your head but penalties are about nothing but mental strength. Any footballer should be able to hit a ball accurately enough to hit the target and beat a keeper 9 times out of 10 or more from the penalty spot. Doing it after 120 minutes when the whole country will lynch you is another matter, and you can't practise that.

You're certainly vastly overrating most players at our level. I wouldn't trust half of our lot to manage that feat sans keeper.

After 120 minutes a few things are fundamentally key:

• Take your time, composure is everything, do not rush it.
  • Get it on target, give yourself a chance.
  • Never ever change your mind, pick a spot and go for it.
  • Don't try something your not really good at, centre backs should not be looking for the top corner
  • Goalkeepers stand your ground, commit to a direction but stay put till the last possible moment. 

Archived