IGNORED

Lloyds Bank Authorisation Process

Fiale

Well just went to make some purchases on the good old internet. Lloyds have a authorisation process where you have to re-enter all you details again , name, card number, card exp date etc (which is annoying enough, just entered all that crap) and of course a security question.

I must have entered a wrong digit, and rightly enough the transaction was denied - fine, that's fine and that's as it should be. So I checkout on the transaction again, but what's this - it doesn't go to the Lloyds authorisation page, but is instead automatically declined.

The phone goes, and it's Lloyds bank - ah good, they may think it's an abnormal purchase and checking up - and sure enough it was - but what do they want to confirm it's me making the purchase (bearing in mind that it was just one question for online purchases).

My name

My card number

My expiry date

My Date of birth

ok so far - you rang me at home and I have given you information to confirm it's me ... sorry what

You want to know

My salary

Date my salary is paid

My direct debits...

Any other Direct Debits

Can you list all your direct debits

Whats your a/c balance

Whats your overdraft limit

I'm starting to get a little pissed off - why do you need so much - So I ask him ?

We need this sir, can you please tell me your last address - umm no, not fully because it was almost 40 years ago and I cannot remember the postcode -

Ok Sir sorry you will need to take a photocopy of your passport and goto your branch as we have locked your card !!

What the hell ---   Seriously, when these call centres went out to India did they just kill all common sense - I have only had this happen once before with Nat West - they called me at home, confirmed my name and address and asked me to give them one.... i  will repeat this ONE thing to confirm my identity and then said they have cleared the transaction and it will work if I try again.

Really annoyed now - and I feel sorry for the first person I see at Lloyds branch because I am not happy - why the hell do they need enough questions from me over the phone to clone my identity ?

Personally I would rather my bank has plenty of security procedures in place as Internet fraud is rife and I don't want to be a victim.

I've worked in the banking industry and it always amazed me how many people would just turn up with a cheque book ( that could be stolen) and then get massively pissed off when asked for ID to prove who they are before I hand over hundreds of pounds of their cash.

I'm pretty sure that if a fraud takes place on the account, it's the bank that loses the money as they have to refund you for the loss so I'm not surprised that you've been given the third degree.

What I would suggest is that you tell all this to your local branch in person who can investigate because it's also quite common for fraudsters to contact people by phone or email pretending to be from your bank and then extract as much personal information from you as possible for 'ID purposes'....this can be used in future fraud.

How do you know the person on the end of the phone was from Lloyds Bank?

Also, why would you take it out on some poorly paid kid working on the counter at your local branch as it's hardly their fault?

Personally I would rather my bank has plenty of security procedures in place as Internet fraud is rife and I don't want to be a victim.

I've worked in the banking industry and it always amazed me how many people would just turn up with a cheque book ( that could be stolen) and then get massively pissed off when asked for ID to prove who they are before I hand over hundreds of pounds of their cash.

I'm pretty sure that if a fraud takes place on the account, it's the bank that loses the money as they have to refund you for the loss so I'm not surprised that you've been given the third degree.

What I would suggest is that you tell all this to your local branch in person who can investigate because it's also quite common for fraudsters to contact people by phone or email pretending to be from your bank and then extracting as much personal information from you as possible for 'ID purposes'....this can be used in future fraud.

That's the problem isn't it who do you really know who your talking too - people ring up, say they are from x,y,z, and ask you questions to identify yourself. In this case, it was Lloyds as it was within about 30 seconds of the Llyods bank authenticator declining the transaction.

The thing is if I had not made spelling mistake - the purchase would have gone through on just that one question/answer - so why when calling me at home, does it take almost a dozen - culminating in a question I cannot answer due to being 40 years irrelevant - so now I have to go to my branch with a photocopy of my passport ! The problem  I suspect is that they have a script and go through it every time and any deviance from it and they cannot help you - zero initiative, or permission/authority to actually sort out a issue. 

Nat West some girl from the UK - simple confirmation, couple of questions, and card working again, if she had asked me for a 40 year old address and I told her I could not remember the post code - would she had said, sorry, can;t help you, card remains lock go to your branch ? Because I suspect not...

Anyway, calmer now, just annoyed I have to go get my passport, photocopy, goto my branch all because of one mistype that should have been easy to resolve over the phone.

What I would suggest is that you tell all this to your local branch in person who can investigate because it's also quite common for fraudsters to contact people by phone or email pretending to be from your bank and then extract as much personal information from you as possible for 'ID purposes'....this can be used in future fraud.

Also, why would you take it out on some poorly paid kid working on the counter at your local branch as it's hardly their fault?

Quite.  I wouldn't be giving any of that out over the phone unless I had called them on a number that I had independently obtained.

That's the problem isn't it who do you really know who your talking too - people ring up, say they are from x,y,z, and ask you questions to identify yourself. In this case, it was Lloyds as it was within about 30 seconds of the Llyods bank authenticator declining the transaction.

The thing is if I had not made spelling mistake - the purchase would have gone through on just that one question/answer - so why when calling me at home, does it take almost a dozen - culminating in a question I cannot answer due to being 40 years irrelevant - so now I have to go to my branch with a photocopy of my passport ! The problem I suspect is that they have a script and go through it every time and any deviance from it and they cannot help you - zero initiative, or permission/authority to actually sort out a issue.

Nat West some girl from the UK - simple confirmation, couple of questions, and card working again, if she had asked me for a 40 year old address and I told her I could not remember the post code - would she had said, sorry, can;t help you, card remains lock go to your branch ? Because I suspect not...

Anyway, calmer now, just annoyed I have to go get my passport, photocopy, goto my branch all because of one mistype that should have been easy to resolve over the phone.

When I put my money in a bank, I want my bank to ensure they look after my money. From what you say it appears that Lloyds have stricter ID process than Natwest who ask you "a couple of questions". If you prefer that, then fair enough but if you do find yourself the victim of fraud I guarantee you won't thank them for it, especially when your card gets declined for lack of funds in front of a huge queue at Tesco's.

One other point I wanted to make from your original post, you say they asked you for your name, card number, expiry date and date of birth which should have confirmed your ID...none of this information confirms your ID over the phone as someone can get these details quite easily if they break into your house whilst your at work and get hold of your card and birth certificate. Lloyds operate a very good password system for identification purposes, once you set it up every financial dealing with them is a doddle. It's also a damn sight more secure than providing information over the phone that anyone can get, simply by stealing your wallet or breaking into your house.

When the banks tell you they're protecting your money, they're telling porkies. If they allow transactions that aren't properly authorised (cardholder in person) then they're liable - so they're protecting their money. The choice between inconveniencing you, or accepting higher costs is easy for most banks.

If you're talking about Verified by Visa or similar it's a pretty useful scheme because it does stop stolen details being used which does cut fraud. There are better solutions to having yet another password though. Bank security is actually pretty far behind where it could be considering the values involved. Payment cards have fundamental security flaws but they're so entrenched that other solutions don't look economical to implement.

The call centre idiot should have needed three pieces of information to verify your ID, and not needed to go for more unless you answered some questions wrong. They are more likely to have made mistakes to be honest.

Anyway, use First Direct. You phone them and after three or four rings a human in the UK picks the phone up. It's delightful.

When the banks tell you they're protecting your money, they're telling porkies. If they allow transactions that aren't properly authorised (cardholder in person) then they're liable - so they're protecting their money. The choice between inconveniencing you, or accepting higher costs is easy for most banks.

The call centre idiot should have needed three pieces of information to verify your ID, and not needed to go for more unless you answered some questions wrong. They are more likely to have made mistakes to be honest.

Whether they are protecting your money or their own it shouldn't come as a huge surprise if banks insist on identifying customers before disclosing information or handing over cash.

As for the "idiot in the call centre", he was just doing his job as he's been told to.

Whether they are protecting your money or their own it shouldn't come as a huge surprise if banks insist on identifying customers before disclosing information or handing over cash.

If only they did it properly.

As for the "idiot in the call centre", he was just doing his job as he's been told to.

I very much doubt he's been told to ask for 11 different pieces of information to authenticate someone.

Archived