IGNORED

Steve Cotterill Is A Winner

NickJ

No I want performances, its nice to win but if we lose that's fine but to lose without any kind of passion just grates you. The counter-argument there is we have had 5 years of it, true and that's been since the last 6 months of GJs tenure. If we can continue like today then I'll appreciate more what he is doing.

My main gripe with SC is his irritating interviews, how we never deserve to lose any games (except last week), his constant interruption of interviewers and general rudeness but not facing upto the fact we played dreadful.. the one regarding the players tiredness was extremely poor for me and that was the last straw. Yes you can say SO'D was dreary in the way he came across of course, he was exciting as buttered toast and a cure for insomnia but I found his programme notes a joy to read as they were eloquently written.. results didn't follow and he went.

Possibly as I have stated on another thread that more of the unhappiness with SC is directed at the board and their decisions regarding his appointment.

Post match interviews must be the most difficult part of a managers week (especially for any BCFC manager over the past 5 years) you want to say so and so played like a drain and so and so needs his arse kicking but you just simply can't unfortunately, you have defend your players and try to dig hard for positives even when there aren't any, occasionally you can throw in the odd 'unacceptable' speech but you are limited and angry and probably ill prepared.

As for SOD it was obvious he was incapable of hiding the fact that he was uncomfortable with sound bytes immediately after a game, he was rude, evasive and boring, interview him during the week where he knows what is coming and he was a different animal, he lost me with his post match gas interview the first question was 'what the key to our win was' and he inexplicably ranted about the crowd trouble for a couple of minutes, i'm pretty sure the interviewer would have got to the crowd trouble eventually, but SOD felt the need to put the boot into the fans uninvited.

I got the impression with SOD he hated fans and if we would have been ordered to play several games behind closed doors after that gas game, he would have had a 90 minute boner. SOD pretty much had to be reminded to even acknowledge the fans, SC has gone out of his way to do that pretty much every game.

Yup I would agree with that. I just wonder with Millen if his hands were tied a little as Coppell had signed both Hunt and Stewart on big wages and with David James on the list to that's a pretty hefty wage bill for those 3 players alone, could be wrong of course and then McInnes having to cut the wage bill in half, then half again.

I would agree Del showed too much faith with certain players and they did let him down, even though we were screwed If we could have kept he would've cleared the deadwood like he promised and probably be in a much better position albeit in League 1

I can't have this whole McInnes had to cut the wage bill in half nonsense. Being asked to do it and actually doing it are completely different things. Plus he wasn't expected to do it over night.

Perhaps he might have given himself a chance if he didn't ram the squad full of loan signings in his first season? Not using a lot of them and wasting money in the process.

Then of course the following season his work in the transfer market was poor to say the very least. Not addressing the key areas of the squad, wasting 2 million on strikers and yet again loanees that he didn't use. If that's 'cutting the wage bill' in half it's a bloody funny way of doing it

Easy to hide behind this wage bill rubbish but in reality McInnes messed up. Plain and simple.

As for Pitman I agree he was one of his mistakes. I'm a big fan of his, but Pitman's biggest problem is Pitman. He could be a very very good player, but the way he works and plays means he requires too much carrying and at Championship level unless you build your side around him he's going to find himself on the fringes.

I would suggest that the reason for Cotterill's relative success compared to O'Driscoll is simply that he plays more attacking football. With three points for a win, 0-3, 2-1 is one more point than 1-1, 1-1.

Obvious, I know, but O'Driscoll didn't seem to grasp it. He handed us a decent goal difference, but bugger-all points. Some City fans don't seem to get it, either, apparently. If we're going to get out of the mire, we're going to have to accept some defeats along with the victories.

I would suggest that the reason for Cotterill's relative success compared to O'Driscoll is simply that he plays more attacking football. With three points for a win, 0-3, 2-1 is one more point than 1-1, 1-1.

Obvious, I know, but O'Driscoll didn't seem to grasp it. He handed us a decent goal difference, but bugger-all points. Some City fans don't seem to get it, either, apparently. If we're going to get out of the mire, we're going to have to accept some defeats along with the victories.

Good post, due to the quality of the players we have our only wins will be scraping home wins against awful teams

2 of our 5 league wins have come against teams in the top 8!

Fair point but, with the possibly exception of Wolves, there are no class teams in this division. My point is that if we attack we at least have a chance of three points (Orient is a shining example) - if we go on the defensive we'll be lucky to get one.

Archived