IGNORED

Jet Vs Baldock

Davros

Doesn't really work, that analysis.

Your BMR is the approx amount of energy (cals) required to perform basic bodily functions e.g. respiratory, digestion etc. You then apply a formula like Harris Benedict to determine the level of calories needed to maintain your current weight based on your activity levels.

JET needs more calories, but I'm sure he eats more than Baldock otherwise he'd be losing lbs at a rapid rate.

I know that, and I disagree it does work. If you sat baldock and jet on their asses for a day jet would need a 20% more calories just to piss, shit, fart, breath the same as baldock. All that formula does is apply a ratio based on activity, it does not change his baseline.

Why is more Farah a skinny little guy? Because being smaller keeps his calorie requirements lower, to move him the same distance, thus greater endurance.

Being big, and I mean big, didn't stop Akinfenwa putting in a shift on Saturday. Jet just appears to have no appetite for us at the moment.

That's utter crap, akinfenwa moves slowly, uses his power well and does not run around like baldock.

I know that, and I disagree it does work. If you sat baldock and jet on their asses for a day jet would need a 20% more calories just to piss, shit, fart, breath the same as baldock. All that formula does is apply a ratio based on activity, it does not change his baseline.

Why is more Farah a skinny little guy? Because being smaller keeps his calorie requirements lower, to move him the same distance, thus greater endurance.

More likely because aerobic exercise is detrimental to retaining muscle. He probably eats quite normally, but he'll be burning a shit load of calories/muscle during his training/marathons.

Being big, and I mean big, didn't stop Akinfenwa putting in a shift on Saturday. Jet just appears to have no appetite for us at the moment.

I bet you were under 16 then when your body was very different. Im talking about developed men, look at the width if jets shoulders, for one.

That's utter crap, akinfenwa moves slowly, uses his power well and does not run around like baldock.

What I am saying is that Jet at the moment is not doing what he did a few months back. He just doesn't look interested. I am not denying him and Sam are different types who play the game different ways. I just think Jet looks and plays like he doesn't care much at the moment.

More likely because aerobic exercise is detrimental to retaining muscle. He probably eats quite normally, but he'll be burning a shit load of calories/muscle during his training/marathons.

Wrong muscle mass is detrimental to long distance endurance. As you supply oxygen to large muscle groups your muscles tire and burn more energy.

What I am saying is that Jet at the moment is not doing what he did a few months back. He just doesn't look interested. I am not denying him and Sam are different types who play the game different ways. I just think Jet looks and plays like he doesn't care much at the moment.

Thats a little unfair, you could pay me all the money in the world but if some fat waster was screeming bollocks at me from the stands week after week I might find it hard to look enthused after a while. He's a person after all. Besides he still played a key role yesterday and was still abused.

I'm sure it is, doesn't mean I am wrong though, both can be true.

I'm not a sports scientist but I did employ one for six months to help me get faster. If you're an endurance athlete you don't want muscle mass its not impossible to have it and be a decent athlete its just not normal. You have what your born with and if you're 6'7 your very unlikely to make a good endurance runner, you might make a good high jumper or heavyweight boxer.

I'm not a sports scientist but I did employ one for six months to help me get faster. If you're an endurance athlete you don't want muscle mass its not impossible to have it and be a decent athlete its just not normal. You have what your born with and if you're 6'7 your very unlikely to make a good endurance runner, you might make a good high jumper or heavyweight boxer.

Not impossible but would take alot of eating I'd say. Depends on the level of mass you want I guess.

A heavily muscled sprinter, would fare badly in a 1500m race - as muscle need oxygen to preform. This is why players like jet play in fits and starts. Jet should be put on a specific diet regime, and given specific cardio vascular training routines to loose muscle mass and gain stamina.

Not impossible but would take alot of eating I'd say. Depends on the level of mass you want I guess.

I know a guy who is 6'7 who did the London marathon in 6+ hours, his knees, his hips and ankles were screwed for weeks after his body is not built for it so yes you can do it, but your not built to do it well.

A heavily muscled sprinter, would fare badly in a 1500m race - as muscle need oxygen to preform. This is why players like jet play in fits and starts. Jet should be put on a specific diet regime, and given specific cardio vascular training routines to loose muscle mass and gain stamina.

Your right the clubs fitness coaches could try and change his physique but he's not overly big for his size. His shoulders are huge so I suspect he is struggling hard to keep his weight down.

Everyone's an expert, I could explain some of the things my pt taught me but someone would Google it and become an instant expert, and knock it down.

I'm not an expert.

Personal trainers are ten a penny these days. My hobby and interests aside from City is bodybuilding/strength training. I know a fair few BB's and I've read enough studies over the last few years to know apples from pears.

Quoting BMR as a reason for why JET can't run for 90 minutes once a week is just nonsense. There are bigger and better players out there doing it.

Peter Crouch, Jan Koller, Traore etc etc.

I know a guy who is 6'7 who did the London marathon in 6+ hours, his knees, his hips and ankles were screwed for weeks after his body is not built for it so yes you can do it, but your not built to do it well.

Sorry I mean packing on muscle and being an endurance athlete. Talking about different things here.

I'm not an expert.

Personal trainers are ten a penny these days. My hobby and interests aside from City is bodybuilding/strength training. I know a fair few BB's and I've read enough studies over the last few years to know apples from pears.

Quoting BMR as a reason for why JET can't run for 90 minutes once a week is just nonsense. There are bigger and better players out there doing it.

Peter Crouch, Jan Koller, Traore etc etc.

BMR is just a way of showing why jet is different from other players around him. And crouch does not run all game like a baldock or a bent.

Baldock got talent and runs... simple.

Jet is a professional athlete so you would think has a good level of fitness, regardless of height, weight etc...

He could put in the effort but choses not to cus thats "his style".

why people keep saying that fans would rather see workrate over talent I dont get. Please explain why it has to be one or the other? And jet has shown anything but talent for the last couple of months!

Baldock got talent and runs... simple.

Jet is a professional athlete so you would think has a good level of fitness, regardless of height, weight etc...

He could put in the effort but choses not to cus thats "his style".

why people keep saying that fans would rather see workrate over talent I dont get. Please explain why it has to be one or the other? And jet has shown anything but talent for the last couple of months!

Actually work rate is incredibly subjective, and is very hard to measure. Quite how you can determine it from a distance in the stands I don't know, for all you know his work rate might be higher than that of baldock. It would be interesting to see the opta stats for say jet and baldock, that combined with knowing how quick jets spo2 recovers after say a bleep test you might be able to figure out his work rate, and how much effort he puts in.

Thats a little unfair, you could pay me all the money in the world but if some fat waster was screeming bollocks at me from the stands week after week I might find it hard to look enthused after a while. He's a person after all. Besides he still played a key role yesterday and was still abused.

This is the thing.  I think, in any job, if you've got someone who is struggling for motivation and looks like they're losing interest, it is far better to try to figure out why and see if you can find ways to get them interested again rather than simply shouting abuse or dismissing them.  When I was JET's age, I remember having managers who didn't make me feel wanted or needed or valued and I struggled to produce decent work as a result.  People respond differently to situations and some people do need a bit of reassurance and an arm round their shoulder or struggle for confidence if they're being told not to do things the way they'd naturally do them but aren't really clear on exactly what is expected of them.

JET is obviously a phenomenally talented guy and I don't necessarily believe he is lazy.  He might have been told it so many times that he believes it himself but there've been times when he's worked incredibly hard for the team and I think he just withdraws into himself when he lacks confidence and it gets interpreted as laziness.

My view is that JET is an exceptional enough talent that it's worth putting the work in to make him feel confident that he's at a club that appreciates him rather than simply trying to put him into a box and make him something he isn't and then get angry with him when it doesn't work.  I'm not singling out SC for criticism per se without knowing the circumtances but, in most places I've worked, I've tended to find 'lazy' employees often simply aren't being managed correctly.

Archived