IGNORED

Summer Holidays Talk

WTFiGO!?!

She wants sea, sand and sun. I do, too.

I also want a bit of interest and discovery, culture if you will. Not British piss heads abroad.

She's said "fine, you decide".

Thinking Greece/Croatia/Cyprus.

Would appreciate your input, chaps.

I also want a bit of interest and discovery, culture if you will. Not British piss heads abroad.

I know it isn't Greece/Croatia/Cyprus, but Bodrum (Turkey) is worth a visit if you haven't been? The Marina area is very nice for the reasonable price you would normally pay and has more of a local feel than tourist like.

You can also hop on a Dolmas (mini bus) which costs a pittance and takes you to many other places around the Peninsula, such as Yalikavak. Saying that, ?I've heard nice things about Yalikavak.

Croatia is a good choice given your description, Montenegro too.

Santorini is nice though the beaches aren't classic white sands.

Other smaller Greek islands might be a good idea.

Sorrento/Amalfi is nice but pricey.

Further afield maybe Mexico - Riviera Maya (not Cancun or you'll get the yank equivalent).

If you're looking to avoid the stereotypical brit chavs I'd stay well away from anywhere on the Spanish Costa, the popular Greek islands, the main Cypriot and Turkish resorts - basically any mainstream european resort offered as packages is going to have them I'm afraid.

Might have to pick your brains if you've been Tone as I'm heading there for two weeks in Aug/Sept. Travelling from Marrakech up to Tangier.

Fire away with questions anytime. I'm there all the time working etc.

Cyprus is really nice. Sandy beaches lovely weather. Fairly cheap too

Greece !!!!!! I was in Rhodes last summer, fantastic holiday. The Old Rhodes Town is a world heritage site - lots of history there and you'll really enjoy that if you're anything like me. I did the boat trip to Samos from Old Rhodes Town harbour - fantastic day out. Don't forget a day trip to Lindos - the views are breathtaking.

Might have to pick your brains if you've been Tone as I'm heading there for two weeks in Aug/Sept. Travelling from Marrakech up to Tangier.

Was having a think and at that time of year Marrakech will be circa 40 deg heat. If you are travelling by train then go first class so you are guaranteed a seat and also air conditioning. It costs very little more.

Cyprus is full of lobster red Brits and Russians on the p155.  I've been there twice, never again.

Depends where you go. Plenty of traditional nice areas to visit. If you go to Ayia Napa and the norm then it will be less pleasant.

Croatia is very nice. I would recommend a stop here for a few days on the way: http://www.splendido-hotel.com/gallery.html

Incredible place in Montenegro.

Just got back from Morocco, Agadir. Temperatures were between 22 and 25 even this time of year. The surf looked amazing too as its right on the Atlantic. Had to fly from Gatwick though, bristol airport flys to Marrakech which is a 2 hour taxi journey down to Agadir. It's a hot country with lots of culture, cheap when you're there as well

Was having a think and at that time of year Marrakech will be circa 40 deg heat. If you are travelling by train then go first class so you are guaranteed a seat and also air conditioning. It costs very little more.

Cheers, yes it is going to be rather hot in Marrakech so a few days there then the plan is to hit the Atlantic coast: Casa, maybe Essaouira, Rabat, Sale, Fez, Assilah, Tangier...open to suggestions really. Going to be too hot for a trip to the desert and prob the Atlas mountains too? Would like to go Chefchaouen too if time allows. Relying on buses/trains for transport!

Can only add to the Croatia recommendations. Went about 8 years ago, probably before it became as popular as it is now. Did some islands, Dalmation Coast and the Istrian peninsula. Istria is cool, nice beaches and some real history there. Rovinj and Pula on the penisula worth a look.

Plitvice Lakes are another highlight, near the Bosinian border in the east/central. Lot of modern history there too, plenty of war torn villages and such dotted around. Quite an emotional yet fascinating thing to witness with the war only finishing 10 years previously.

Generally its a beautiful country with nice beaches and good food and drink. At the time it was relatively cheap too.

Croatia is nice and the women in Split are beyond belief! It's extremely busy in the summer tho and has very much been "discovered". Monty is a good shout though.

Went to Riviera Maya in December. Another place that unfortunately ain't "off the beaten track" anymore. Even though it was low season beaches were rammed in Playa del Carmen. I didn't like Playa as a result sadly, the food wasn't as good as I'd hoped (being a big fan of Mexican) and it was just too busy and too many yanks.

On the positive the beaches are incredible and the Mayan ruins at Tulum, Coba, Chitchen Itza top drawer...

Yeah I wondered if Croatia had gone that way, been a while since I went.  Montenegro was charming before the Bond film but not sure about now.

I only spent half a day in Playa - Mexican Weston really.  I stayed in one of the larger all in places an hour South of Playa in Riviera and did a lot of snorkelling and the obvious trips (Coba, Xel-ha, Chichen, Tulum).  Mexicans were lovely and friendly and thankfully there were only a few yanks.  As fancy all in holidays go it was great value but that type of holiday is relatively expensive.

Another place worth a look for heat and culture is Goa.  You could do a few days around India then wind up on the beach.  It's a more expensive flight than Europe but your cash goes a long way there and you definitely won't find any chavs.

Archived