IGNORED

Football League Considers Radical Reforms

Red Ferret

That's the type of change that would be good for the game IF implemented right. Personally think it's more of a priority in the premiership though.

Still would potentially be effective at all levels though. The situation at QPR for instance is absolutely embarrassing. Of course clubs with more money should be allowed to strengthen as they please but surely only within reason? 8 strikers is surely not necessary, especially when Redknapp only started with one on Saturday. They have an over flowing squad and even with parachute payments and Fernandez money the situation cannot be healthy for the club or the game.

That's the type of change that would be good for the game IF implemented right. Personally think it's more of a priority in the Premier League though.

Still would potentially be effective at all levels though. The situation at QPR for instance is absolutely embarrassing. Of course clubs with more money should be allowed to strengthen as they please but surely only within reason? 8 strikers is surely not necessary, especially when Redknapp only started with one on Saturday. They have an over flowing squad and even with parachute payments and Fernandez money the situation cannot be healthy for the club or the game.

The thing is that clubs with more money will believe everything that they do is within reason.

Like others I can't see it being too successful unless it includes the Prem.

I don't know that many of the championship squads but does this actually effect many teams at all below the Prem apart from Watford?

I doubt there is a single team L1 or below that it has any impact on apart from the U21 subs rule, maybe they should change that to 2 u21s in the squad as if you start 2 u21s you might not have another 2 decent ones to sit on the bench.

I don't know that many of the championship squads but does this actually effect many teams at all below the Prem apart from Watford?

I doubt there is a single team L1 or below that it has any impact on apart from the U21 subs rule, maybe they should change that to 2 u21s in the squad as if you start 2 u21s you might not have another 2 decent ones to sit on the bench.

My thoughts exactly, for 98% of league clubs it is not a problem, it's the premiership where you can go & watch a game where you could be lucky to see half a dozen English players on the pitch, sounds a bit like using a sledge hammer to crack an egg, just send the league officials to Loftus & Vicarage Road.  

No This is a very very bad thing.

If this is implemented in the Football League then it is leaving clubs open to exploitation from Premier League clubs based on the rules regarding the Elite Player Performance Plan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15381652

For Instance, lets say we focus heavily on youth over the next 5 years because of this rule change, only to have 6 of our best players taken at a young age, we are then forced to play the ones who aren't good enough anyway based on these rules.

All that will happen is the gap in quality and cash between the Premier League and Football League will widen.

As others have said, surely this is something that needs to be implemented in the prem? Most league 1&2 squads will contain 10 or 11 home grown players, and it's only the likes of Watford who need to be sorted out in the championship.

How different would the prem be if they had to field 9 home grown players?!

I think we need a high profile Premier League B division, which would be under 24s, UK and Ireland based players only or tight restrictions on foreign youngsters. Everyone loves to watch the top foreign players in the prem so wouldn't want to put off top players from coming here but a parallel league could work and the FA could help fund it and the clubs would use it as a blooding ground. Cheap tickets, free for kids or something. Worth a thought...

Archived