IGNORED

5Th March 1991

'Orns

Reading the thread about the anniversary of Dean Horrix being killed made me think of another, a lot happier one too

It's 23 years to this very day that I saw City beat the G*s for the first time. Who will ever forget that moment when Louie Donowa scored the single greatest goal of all my time as a City fan? The Open End deflated, noise from every other side of the ground, Super Bob giving the G*s some abuse, and getting fined for it. The penalty miss in front of the East End, sod Anfield, this was the best match I've ever seen City in. Didn't play the best, but it was against that lot, and it made it so much sweeter. I know G*s that say they've never heard noise like it when the goal went in, it's what football is all about. As I've said before, regardless of what you think of the G*s, and I'm not keen!, if they weren't there you'd have to invent them, purely for moments like this

23 years ago, was just coming up to my 18th bday and remember it like it was yesterday

Remember it well Woodsy.

Can remember going mental in the EE when Holloway missed the pen, only to somehow find a higher level of mental when Donowa stuck the winner in.

Certainly one of the most satisfyng derby wins i have experienced.

I was in the open end that night what an amazing night. sure I remember after we went ahead we tried pushing up from a free kick trying to catch them offside and cocking it up and leaving about 5 rovers players onside and it was Twentyman I think blazed it over.

Remember it well Woodsy.

Can remember going mental in the EE when Holloway missed the pen, only to somehow find a higher level of mental when Donowa stuck the winner in.

Certainly one of the most satisfyng derby wins i have experienced.

Love that expression, sums that night up brilliantly!

The atmosphere that night was unbelievable, was sat in the dolman b block near back and you couldn't see the steps for people were sat on them all the way down. Think too many tickets sold and just let them in, also reckon due to it being our first win over them for so many years the cheers for that penalty were more years of pent up frustration than happiness.

The atmosphere that night was unbelievable, was sat in the dolman b block near back and you couldn't see the steps for people were sat on them all the way down. Think too many tickets sold and just let them in, also reckon due to it being our first win over them for so many years the cheers for that penalty were more years of pent up frustration than happiness.

I was only 7! me, my grandad, my uncle and his friends were in the lions before the game my grandad toke me on down and my uncle stayed with his mates for one more biggest mistake of his life cause he couldn't get loads we're left outside! Best game I've been to for atmosphere nothing beat it since!

Best match I have been to,  So many years of draws and losses, than boom, Dononwa with one of the most messy goals you will ever see.  The joy, the loss of voice, the atmosphere, everything.  beats any other match I have witnessed, and I have seen a few good uns

Didn't Andy Leaning concede the penalty and then makes amends by saving the penalty rather than Holloway missing it?

With my city tinted glasses on I remember that big Dev left a foot in, was looking for it a bit!

The pen was certainly saved though

I was in the open end that night what an amazing night. sure I remember after we went ahead we tried pushing up from a free kick trying to catch them offside and cocking it up and leaving about 5 rovers players onside and it was Twentyman I think blazed it over.

I think that was the Wayne Allison game at the start of the 91/92 season, also 1-0.

I must say, this forum has improved no-end of late, with this enjoyable bit of nostalgia (and the one about old characters/ nutters) as well as the sad, but touching one about the terminally ill Divvy and his motivation and firing up of the team on Saturday. And the Dean Horrix one too, well remembered. Bringing out the best in the people on here.

I have to say, too, that March 5th, 1991, is one of my most cherished memories. The goal, with the ball taking it's time to dribble/ bounce in, only made the joyous scenes more 'mental' as someone noted above. And so, so sweet after so much dismal, derby agony (if only footballing agony, such as it is). All those years of being second best to Rovers made that win that night very special. And all without a pitch invasion, if I remember correctly? Good times do return, if not for long, but return they will...

No seats or safe standing that night. Nobody mention it to Rosenior. We even had fences.

How many admitted to A&E I wonder...

Probably as many as when we beat Liverpool in front of 38K in 76/77 or lost to Forest in Cup Semi Final 28K'ish. Was there perfectly safely on both occasions.

I remember being a teenager with my dad being one of those sat in on the steps in A block,from memory i think i remember climbing over the gate to get in cause the queues were so big!!Not in this day ah!!What a day that was though years of hurt ended 2 minutes from time!!

Archived