IGNORED

Italian Language

westred1

I find Italian relatively easy to read, but a bugger to understand due to the locals' tendency to make no allowance for foreigners in their 150mph stream-of-consciousness rants. We co-owned an appartment near Lake Trasimeno for many years, but I never became fluent. It doesn't help that Italian is a very regionalised language with many accents varying drastically from the "standard Italian" you learn.

Always worth venturing a few words though.  Go to the same ristorante a few times and drop a few "buongiorno" (good day) and "prego" (you're welcome) and you'll be treated like an old family friend.

I find Italian relatively easy to read, but a bugger to understand due to the locals' tendency to make no allowance for foreigners in their 150mph stream-of-consciousness rants. We co-owned an appartment near Lake Trasimeno for many years, but I never became fluent. It doesn't help that Italian is a very regionalised language with many accents varying drastically from the "standard Italian" you learn.

Always worth venturing a few words though.  Go to the same ristorante a few times and drop a few "buongiorno" (good day) and "prego" (you're welcome) and you'll be treated like an old family friend.

Indeed it is very regionalised, though much like in our country with differing slang mucker. Go from Italy mainland to Sicily and it's like a whole new language.

Kinda like how a Cockny and Scouser would sound very different in day-to-day slang.

Pizza & Fiat

The best way of learning any language is to visit the country and immerse yourself in it.

I went to France knowing 4 words. I am now close to fluency and I never once had a lesson.

I make va, te, faire, enculer and merde to be cinq mots.  Which one didn't you know before travelling?

Archived