IGNORED

Will A Win Tonight See Us Safe?

tunnie123

At least another 12 points. Can see most of them coming in April.

P'boro - L

Swindon - D

Colchester - W

Port Vale - W

Rotherham - L

Preston - D

Walsall - D

Notts C - W

Stevenage - W

Crewe - W

Crawley - D

19 points - more than safe!

A little bit biased but who cares?!

post-21133-0-00497800-1394538857_thumb.j

For me, a win tonight will almost certainly see us safe. I know the performances still arnt perfect but were grinding out results and getting points on the board. He may not be the long term solution but for me Mr Cotteril has done a fantastic job.

no

for me its 2 from 10

I dont mean safe as in we dont need to win any more games. i meant as in the fear that were going down will be gone and the players should comfortably be able to see out the rest of the season.

I see where you're coming from and i appreciate a win tonight over Posh would be a massive boost for the confidence of the players .However,we cannot afford them to be thinking that we are safe until, well ,when we are safe.

A win tonight will see me fall out my armchair - as Peterborough are the only side I've seen at AG who comprehensively outplayed us and outclassed us.

I'm expecting a loss followed by the  board being abuzz with people posting "we're doomed" and "Cotterill's an idiot" and "I don't like his accent - it's too similar to mine!"

Mind you, I wasn't expecting much away to Orient either, so you never know.

• Admin

For me, a win tonight will almost certainly see us safe. I know the performances still arnt perfect but were grinding out results and getting points on the board. He may not be the long term solution but for me Mr Cotteril has done a fantastic job.

A good starting point maybe to watch Countdown - especially the numbers round !

A 10-0 win tonight would not even make us safe

A win tonight will see me fall out my armchair - as Peterborough are the only side I've seen at AG who comprehensively outplayed us and outclassed us.

I'm expecting a loss followed by the  board being abuzz with people posting "we're doomed" and "Cotterill's an idiot" and "I don't like his accent - it's too similar to mine!"

Mind you, I wasn't expecting much away to Orient either, so you never know.

Problem is if we do lose then the forum will be full of all the doom and gloom stuff- not saying to be happy after a defeat or anything but on here it seems people assume the worst as soon as 1 thing goes wrong.

If we deserve a win and for whatever reason we only draw then I can guarentee someone will make it appear much worse than it is

I like this site  http://www.sportsclubstats.com/England/BristolCity.html for trying to give some rigour into the "X points will see us safe" discussions that have been all too familiar in recent years :(

From before Saturday, datacrunching over 15 million permutations, ending on 50 points would still have given about 1 in 6 chance of going down. 52 points would see that chances of that reducing to well under 1%. The results would have suggested about 1 in 3 chance of going down overall.

Beating Shrewsbuy reduced that 33.1% chance by 14% - so now the results indicate odds of about 19.1%. Win tonight and it goes down to 4.9%. Draw and it still goes down (to 18%) Lose and it creeps back up to 26.1% (allowing al lthe other results to be based on the permutation calcs)

I dont mean safe as in we dont need to win any more games. i meant as in the fear that were going down will be gone and the players should comfortably be able to see out the rest of the season.

When we are mathematically unable to be the 21st placed team on the last day of the current season, then the players can consider the pressure to be off.

Get the feeling one or two players felt what you described above after Orient away, and that did us no favours over the next two matches (Tranmere & Sheffield United).

They get paid handsomely every week to bust their humps for the cause; they do not get to beat a top six team then coast on that for a couple of weeks.  Ever. 

• Admin

Same answer - Not just yet. Table is still too close for comfort

We are not safe until we are safe. A win tonight will show a turn around in form completely though, Peterborough are a good side in this league. I would take a point followed by a win on Saturday. What we have done is meant that If we lose this game we are still out of the relegation zone, we just need to get as many wins as poss until the end of the season and see where we end up.

Our powderpuff defence can fall apart at any time, whether we win or lose tonight.  Mathematics is the only thing that will convince me.

Archived