IGNORED

Thoughts On Going Down....

Oxford Red

Taken from Oldham's forum -

"Like driving a car, you have to drop down a gear in order to gain momentum and overtake the car in front.

I am not saying that relegation is a preferred option, but I also do not believe that it would be the disaster that finishes the club off. I don't think the loyal hardcore of fans would desert the club and if..the big "if"..the team that Johnson assembles during the close-season gets off to a flyer and pulls in some decent results, more stay-away fans would return to watch..if only out of natural instinct or curiosity.

It's a stupid line of reasoning, I know that, but after 26 years and 17 of them in Div Two/ League One, the cycle of managers, false dawns (no offence, if your name is Dawn) and frustrating performances on the pitch, I can't see any other way. The good side is, that the club is not crippled with debt, faced with liquidation and has the green shoots of recovery in the form of the new stand and maybe, just maybe, some managerial stability.

Let's take it from there."

-----------------------------------------------

"I don't see this as negativity. I see this as a perfectly normal train of thought. Which is why it irks me when you and others shortsightedly have a dig at Johnson/Dickov/Moore et al for not getting us promoted. It runs far, far deeper than the bloke sat in the manager's office."

------------------------------------------------

"I don't want us to go down, but Scunny are having a more exciting season than us."

"are portsmouth?"

"Please can people stop downplaying the catastrophic impact relegation would have on the club, lest they get what they wish for."

Change some names around and this could be everything I have read on here.

If we go down it genuinely would be disastrous for us. Less so for them in my opinion - because of the structures of the two clubs.

In saying that, I dont think we will now.

I think though they are a genuine risk, they aren't picking up many points lately.

It's an interesting thing to look at when we're due to play Peterborough. I think most people are concerned about tonight's game, but last season it would have been looked upon as an opportunity to get three points (as we did). Both teams went down but now one is at the top of the division and the other at the bottom.

O'Driscoll observed that Peterborough were 'set up for league one'. That is to say they are a team of good league one players who were relegated because they weren't quite good enough for the Championship. City, by contrast, had more quality than Peterborough but were unbalanced and a mess off the pitch. They should have been mid-table in the Championship but got a fair few things wrong. 

Oldham, I suspect, are a decently run club who have players who are too good for league two but maybe not quite good enough for league one. If relegated, they will probably do well in the lower league (assuming they stick with the manager and players they have).

City, by contrast, are still suffering from whatever malaise has afflicted them in recent years. The players should be good enough, but they have the wrong ones in key places, or the wrong attitude, or something else. If Cotterill is doing the right job of sorting it then they'll challenge at the top of whichever league they're in next season because the players are technically good enough. If he's not getting it right then they'll struggle in either again.

It is only what we were saying this time last year

Exactly.  

Anyone thinking us going down this term might not be a total disaster needs their head checking; it would ruin us.

There may have been a grain of truth to us dropping from the Championship to League One having a silver lining, had we correctly prepared for the opportunity to, but it is pretty clear that ship has sailed now, and survival and reassessment this summer should be the aim now.

The only good thing about us dropping down from the championship is the wage bill being brought under control, thats it there is nothing else,

If we drop down again it would be an absolute disaster,

That being said we whould never be in this postion (this season) we should be better and the players in the summer will need take take a long hard look at themselfs Baldock and Jet asisde that is,

Exactly.  

Anyone thinking us going down this term might not be a total disaster needs their head checking; it would ruin us.

There may have been a grain of truth to us dropping from the Championship to League One having a silver lining, had we correctly prepared for the opportunity to, but it is pretty clear that ship has sailed now, and survival and reassessment this summer should be the aim now.

I agree. When you take a step back and actually realise what we are trying to achieve, survival in League One, it's pretty depressing. What have we achieved, where is the progress, where are we heading? I can't explain it very well but to celebrate staying in League One ( if we do) will be a hollow achievement, what is there really to celebrate. I don't think we have the divine right to be in the Championship and we got what we deserved when we were relegated, but to be staring the prospect in the face again is stomach churning.

Ok maybe I was under the illusion it would be 'easier' in League One to ship out players and rebuild. I certainly didn't see the upheaval of the change of manager and being at this stage of the season where we still are experimenting to get the team right.

Maybe Oldham has had a few more green shoots than us along the way of our similar paths, FA cup distractions maybe. Maybe they are overshadowed by their more glamorous neighbours, other thn that we aren't too different at the moment.

Buy a Ferrari, drive it full speed through a muddy field, then when it gets stuck in the mud complain that the car is crap and you never should have bought it.

Bristol City FC, 2008 - 2014.

It was an old Ferrari that was beautiful in the first year then after that faults started to appear. Tried everything to replace it but it was just too old and knackered. Kept breaking down and in the end went to the car graveyard :crying:

Edit: Depending on this season we might still have the damn thing!!

That's how I would describe it anyway

I agree. When you take a step back and actually realise what we are trying to achieve, survival in League One, it's pretty depressing. What have we achieved, where is the progress, where are we heading? I can't explain it very well but to celebrate staying in League One ( if we do) will be a hollow achievement, what is there really to celebrate. I don't think we have the divine right to be in the Championship and we got what we deserved when we were relegated, but to be staring the prospect in the face again is stomach churning.

Ok maybe I was under the illusion it would be 'easier' in League One to ship out players and rebuild. I certainly didn't see the upheaval of the change of manager and being at this stage of the season where we still are experimenting to get the team right.

Maybe Oldham has had a few more green shoots than us along the way of our similar paths, FA cup distractions maybe. Maybe they are overshadowed by their more glamorous neighbours, other thn that we aren't too different at the moment.

The "where we are going?" question is a big one, for sure.

If we manage to avoid dropping down again, I hope we have some kind of plan already in place, because treating each season like a blank slate is doing more harm than good now.

Presumably "the plan" was to significantly reduce the wage bill, whilst staying up, clearing the last players of the GJ era from their contracts and hopefully going forward into next year with a leaner, better value squad.

It didn't work, depending on your point of view either because we cut too far, too fast or because O'Driscoll wasn't good enough to win sufficient games.

The only solace to be had in survival would be that we won't be back at the fourth level of English football.

The end of this season will see Carey, Fontaine, Marvin and Pearson all out of contract, if it is true as reported that wages have gone from 140% of turnover last season to 45% this, then that does at least provide the basis for a more financially solvent club but with enough space on the wage bill for a couple of useful additions.

I see as per usual no-one has actually expanded on why going down would be a "disaster".

Relegation/promotion is part and parcel of being a football league club.

If we supposedly have this 5 pillar strategy and intend on sticking with it (possibly failing on the first hurdle there) then why does it matter if we get relegated if we have absolute faith in it putting us back where we want to be in 3/5/10 years time?

Of course no-one does have faith in the plan, or anyone implementing it correctly, despite what SL's happy clapper supporters say on here...hence it would be a "disaster".

Where's the disaster, right now, as people predicted when we'd get relegated from the C'Ship?

I see as per usual no-one has actually expanded on why going down would be a "disaster".

Relegation/promotion is part and parcel of being a football league club.

If we supposedly have this 5 pillar strategy and intend on sticking with it (possibly failing on the first hurdle there) then why does it matter if we get relegated if we have absolute faith in it putting us back where we want to be in 3/5/10 years time?

Of course no-one does have faith in the plan, or anyone implementing it correctly, despite what SL's happy clapper supporters say on here...hence it would be a "disaster".

Where's the disaster, right now, as people predicted when we'd get relegated from the C'Ship?

Well, with 12 games remaining of this season the best we can hope for is not to be relegated to the bottom tier of league football, so I'd say that is a pretty disastrous outcome of relegation last time out.

Well, with 12 games remaining of this season the best we can hope for is not to be relegated to the bottom tier of league football, so I'd say that is a pretty disastrous outcome of relegation last time out.

Sorry where's the disaster?!?!

The ground redevelopment will go ahead.

The 18s are playing some nice football and winning.

The 21s are doing well in their league.

The new training facilities have been built.

We're investing heavily in the academy.

Improved scouting network.

If you have faith in those foundations being put in place and bearing fruit long-term then so what if we have a few bad seasons?

We're not going bust, we're still well supported...there's no real disaster at all.

I recall us narrowly surviving under McInnes and going down the following season - who knows, may happen again.

Sorry where's the disaster?!?!

The ground redevelopment will go ahead.

The 18s are playing some nice football and winning.

The 21s are doing well in their league.

The new training facilities have been built.

We're investing heavily in the academy.

Improved scouting network.

If you have faith in those foundations being put in place and bearing fruit long-term then so what if we have a few bad seasons?

We're not going bust, we're still well supported...there's no real disaster at all.

I recall us narrowly surviving under McInnes and going down the following season - who knows, may happen again.

The disaster is that it is still feasible, despite all the excellent stuff you mention, that we could be in League Two next year.

I'm all for solid, progressive work behind the scenes, but we were apparently doing all that in the Championship, and look where we are.

No point being the best structured and fiscally sound team in the UK if we play badly and finish low down the leagues.

hate going down.

It's the hairs in the teeth that I can't abide.

Seriously, I think we had to go down last season to get rid of the bloodsucking parasites, like a fox submerging all but the tip of its nose to get rid of its fleas. Going down this year would do us no favours at all.

It's the hairs in the teeth that I can't abide.

Seriously, I think we had to go down last season to get rid of the bloodsucking parasites, like a fox submerging all but the tip of its nose to get rid of its fleas. Going down this year would do us no favours at all.

A trip to Hollywood sorts that problem :yes:

Archived