IGNORED

Talk About Bad Taste

Esmond Million's Bung

I know several people who were at the Park Street bomb in 1974, in fact there were 2 bombs and there was no warning whatsoever, the first to draw the emergency services in and the second to cowardly kill or maim them whilst evacuating and or investigating, when the second device went off luckily everybody was behind a fire engine that took the brunt of the explosion, although several police officers and fire fighters were blown off their feet and sent flying across the road and quite a few suffered painful burst ear drums.

So please forgive if I don't share the humour on this one, during the 1970's Bristol and it's surrounding area was the 2nd most targeted area in Britain by the IRA (after London) the person who authorised that particular banner should be collecting a P45 IMO.

in a former life I have spent more than enough time in buildings after terrorist attacks, believe me it will go down as probably the most sobering times of my life, to actually see what devastation as little as 2lbs of high explosives well placed can cause in a building, most of which were public buildings.

So please forgive if I don't share the humour on this one, during the 1970's Bristol and it's surrounding area was the 2nd most targeted area in Britain by the IRA (after London) the person who authorised that particular banner should be collecting a P45 IMO.

Wouldn't that be Birmingham, Es?

anyway, I too remember that night. I was just a kid but I'd been attending something that evening at the Old Vic and the auditorium was evacuated as a precaution after the first blast. As I was standing in King Street, I heard the boom of the second blast. Even at that distance it was bloody loud!

Wouldn't that be Birmingham, Es?

anyway, I too remember that night. I was just a kid but I'd been attending something that evening at the Old Vic and the auditorium was evacuated as a precaution after the first blast. As I was standing in King Street, I heard the boom of the second blast. Even at that distance it was bloody loud!

Queens Road, Park Street, The Corridor in Bath and a little known one that failed to explode attached to a petrol pump opposite central police station, that's off the top of my head, plus several thefts of explosives from quarries

I know several people who were at the Park Street bomb in 1974, in fact there were 2 bombs and there was no warning whatsoever, the first to draw the emergency services in and the second to cowardly kill or maim them whilst evacuating and or investigating, when the second device went off luckily everybody was behind a fire engine that took the brunt of the explosion, although several police officers and fire fighters were blown off their feet and sent flying across the road and quite a few suffered painful burst ear drums.

in a former life I have spent more than enough time in buildings after terrorist attacks, believe me it will go down as probably the most sobering times of my life, to actually see what devastation as little as 2lbs of high explosives well placed can cause in a building, most of which were public buildings.

I too lived in Bristol at that time but I'm not going to allow myself to get into a knot over the name of a drink

I too lived in Bristol at that time but I'm not going to allow myself to get into a knot over the name of a drink

The title of the thread is right mind, they do taste bad...

In fairness I have to plead ignorance on this one, didn't know Bristol was bombed by the IRA. It did happen well before I was born though. Must be a failing of my education as I studied the history of Northern Ireland at GCSE level. Knew about Manchester, Omagh, Brum, Canary Wharf etc

The kidder that put the banner up probably had no idea of a bombing in Bristol either...in this case I would probably agree it's bad taste but here's hoping that one day time is a healer.

Did you get offended when they were going to call Cabot Merchants Quarter Esmond?

and neither would I normally, but the person who suggested the banner and person who authorised it's public display, need a career change, it's in bad taste.

That's your opinion but should we also take offence at other drinks such as:

Angry German

Louisiana Shooter

French Revolution

Atomic Bomb

Psycho Tsunami

and I'm sure the list can go on and on

The title of the thread is right mind, they do taste bad...

In fairness I have to plead ignorance on this one, didn't know Bristol was bombed by the IRA. It did happen well before I was born though. Must be a failing of my education as I studied the history of Northern Ireland at GCSE level. Knew about Manchester, Omagh, Brum, Canary Wharf etc

The kidder that put the banner up probably had no idea of a bombing in Bristol either...in this case I would probably agree it's bad taste but here's hoping that one day time is a healer.

Did you get offended when they were going to call Cabot Merchants Quarter Esmond?

Why should I?, I was working and living in Bristol when the IRA bombs went off, but the Cabot centre is nothing to do with me that would be our forward thinking politicians and their mates in the merchant venturers to blame for that one which is about par for the course for Bristol, anyway didn't I read somewhere that some West Indies are suing over slavery so Bristol and Liverpool will be broke soon.

We are talking 40 years ago which in my mind is a fairly long time for healing for us that can remember. It's not really fair to expect the younger generation who were not around at the time to know any better. Then again it could have been an old fart like me who put it up but really lets just move on in life

We are talking 40 years ago which in my mind is a fairly long time for healing for us that can remember. It's not really fair to expect the younger generation who were not around at the time to know any better. Then again it could have been an old fart like me who put it up but really lets just move on in life

I think the problem is IRA type terrorism from a nationalist splinter group is starting again in the UK and coming after the harrowing scenes of the Hyde Park bomb and seeing the suspected bomber walk away with a get out of jail free card, it's not as if it's not within the public domain even for young un's.

I guess some people get offended easier than others, which is fair enough. Poor judgment really but wouldn't say I was offended. If someone loses there job over it then it's probably a bit much unless they have previous.

Probably people who have lost friends in terrorist attacks and have had to deal with the aftermath of explosions perhaps?.

I think the problem is IRA type terrorism from a nationalist splinter group is starting again in the UK and coming after the harrowing scenes of the Hyde Park bomb and seeing the suspected bomber walk away with a get out of jail free card, it's not as if it's not within the public domain even for young un's.

And many others walked away free under the terms of the Good Friday agreement and we think nothing of it.

Archived