IGNORED

Morrisons

Barrs Court Red

Morrisons expansion was huge in past 10 years but they forgot about online and frankly to still not have anything in place is shocking - it's like blockbuster not adapting to movies on demand and look how that ended!

The figures were amazing. Last year 850m profit and this year a loss (if I heard correctly?) staggering turn around.

I haven't seen the accounts yet but I'm pretty sure they made a massive adjustment to the book value of their land and buildings.

It's cashflow would probably be more valuable than it's income statement in terms of gauging performance.

Morrisons expansion was huge in past 10 years but they forgot about online and frankly to still not have anything in place is shocking - it's like blockbuster not adapting to movies on demand and look how that ended!

I think they've signed a deal with Ocado to provide their online service now, Tom.

I think they've signed a deal with Ocado to provide their online service now, Tom.

Yeah they did but it's still not in place. They also bought another online system about 2 years ago and then realised it needed converting for UK use. Seems to be a calamity to be honest

Yeah they did but it's still not in place. They also bought another online system about 2 years ago and then realised it needed converting for UK use. Seems to be a calamity to be honest

Aye - and of course they don't do the small 'local' shops thing either.

However, as has been said, they still trade in profit and this big loss has a lot to do with accountancy and taxation.

Still, a supermarket price war on the cards says Robert Peston. Everyone's a winner! Unless you supply a supermarket or work for one.

Aye - and of course they don't do the small 'local' shops thing either.

However, as has been said, they still trade in profit and this big loss has a lot to do with accountancy and taxation.

Still, a supermarket price war on the cards says Robert Peston. Everyone's a winner! Unless you supply a supermarket or work for one.

They do the small shops - called M or something like that - one in Portishead on marina

They do the small shops - called M or something like that - one in Portishead on marina

Entirely separate business though apparently

The root of the problem really is with the economic perception of 'success'. Morrisons may well have just repositioned themselves to make their business much stronger in the long term, but because their annual revenue generation is likely to be lower (and taking out the write-downs on property it fell by less than 10%) it's automatically a disaster. The whole model of profits increasing year on year is corrupt, broken and only really helps those who can afford to own large portions of these companies

Archived