IGNORED

Contracts...

brad blit

Bryan and Reid are proof are academy can move forward, took time but we are getting there, these two should be idols to those coming into and progressing through, if El Abd can get a long contract and these 2 don't get the same, I would say up yours City

I disagree with that contract as well, anyway I thought it was only a 3 year deal he was on,

I'm not going to agree with you on it as I think long contracts are too much of a risk and drain on clubs resorces given the fact that we don't have a good track record with them,

That and most lower league clubs don't offer them ether, Unless the player is bale like I would never offer anything more then 2 years with an option for a third,

Players have all the power they move if they want regardless of legth of time, they simply sulk and go on strike until they get a move thus forcing the clubs hand anyway,

The players you're refering to know they can pitch a sulk - these are the players who don't feel they owe the club anything.

These players bounce around clubs looking for that long term contract, knowing they can get a pay off to move on if they feel the urge to move on or don't like the manager etc...

Bryan and Reid are part of this club and have been for a while - they owe everything and will play for the badge, not to have a good season and get a long term contract. This is the reason clubs don't hand them out - I agree with you on this. As Rich-TWSC- says - clubs at this level and L2 won't normally offer long deals, this is mainly due to the common player turnover and club structure. It doesn't have to be like that and if City want an identity of producing talent, then we best not waste it on giving our most valuable home-grown assets short term deals if they're good enough.

Main part being the two lads aren't just 'passing through' and looking for this payday. If they want to progress at the club that has stood by them then the contract lenght won't be an issue on the long term. It would be natural for players of this calibre at this level to have minimal wage increases anually and increase/decrease dependant on promotions and relegations.

FFP regs will also benefit the club with the idea of keeping our players who we produce on a longer deal.

Comapre with the likes of Williams & Wynter - our stance should be different if we opt to extend their deals, simply based on the fact they moved here to play - not necessarily to stay and be part of the way the club look to move forward.

Some of these hardball comments are very interesting, but only work on the assumption we are the only football club players are interested in signing for.

its easy to criticise contracts and wages that look too big with hindsight.

its equally easy to condemn the club when they fail to sign strong players or to retain our better players.

Reality is even at league one level you may have to offer a longer or larger contract to beat another team to a players signature.

"Cake and eat it..."

Some of these hardball comments are very interesting, but only work on the assumption we are the only football club players are interested in signing for.

its easy to criticise contracts and wages that look too big with hindsight.

its equally easy to condemn the club when they fail to sign strong players or to retain our better players.

Reality is even at league one level you may have to offer a longer or larger contract to beat another team to a players signature.

"Cake and eat it..."

Which is why 'loyal' players could get shafted

If they're not loyal, they're greedy - if they are loyal, they don't need to be chased with appropriate contracts because they aren't going to want to go anywhere

Bryan and Reid are proof are academy can move forward, took time but we are getting there, these two should be idols to those coming into and progressing through, if El Abd can get a long contract and these 2 don't get the same, I would say up yours City

Not at all, these 2, though promising, are far from regulars and need to earn their contracts.

The idea of a successful academy is there should be a few more coming through to the first team squad each year so the likes of Bryan and Reid either progress really well and perhaps get transferred or, if they stagnate, are replaced by the next batch of youngsters coming up. If they're inbetween, i.e. ordinary, they don't merit particularly good or long contracts anyway.

City have made it quite clear that in general there will be no overly long contracts in future, and we also know if we get good bids for any of our players they will be accepted.

The new reality for the players - post James Wilson - is that the idea of over rewarding promising but unproven young players into a position where they may be too comfortable is a thing the past.

Not at all, these 2, though promising, are far from regulars and need to earn their contracts.

The idea of a successful academy is there should be a few more coming through to the first team squad each year so the likes of Bryan and Reid either progress really well and perhaps get transferred or, if they stagnate, are replaced by the next batch of youngsters coming up. If they're inbetween, i.e. ordinary, they don't merit particularly good or long contracts anyway.

City have made it quite clear that in general there will be no overly long contracts in future, and we also know if we get good bids for any of our players they will be accepted.

The new reality for the players - post James Wilson - is that the idea of over rewarding promising but unproven young players into a position where they may be too comfortable is a thing the past.

Totally agree,

As a club we are aiming to get back into the championship, are bryan and reid championship quailty? on current evidance no they aren't not to say they won't, but if we are to offer them long contracts (say 5 years) and we won promotion next season, both may not be good enough and we are left paying wages to two players that are never going to play, thats the gamble and we shouldn't take it,

Remeber both players can't hold down regualer places not, 2 years is right imho

You've only got four players out-of-contract?

Sheesh.

There were a whole load more Rich...But a few got clubs (Preston, Yeovil, Oldham et al) mid season and had the contracts terminated or paid up...

However we have a little form now and finally the first team looks like it is begining to Gel!....Anyone worth having from Swindon come June??

Totally agree,

As a club we are aiming to get back into the championship, are bryan and reid championship quailty? on current evidance no they aren't not to say they won't, but if we are to offer them long contracts (say 5 years) and we won promotion next season, both may not be good enough and we are left paying wages to two players that are never going to play, thats the gamble and we shouldn't take it,

Remeber both players can't hold down regualer places not, 2 years is right imho

Reid's already 21, Bryan not far off, and neither are so outstanding that they deserve more than 2 years imo. I'm personally not convinced about Reid anyway.

5 years would be ridiculous - we might have half a dozen equally good, or even better, midfield players come through the academy in that time.

Archived