IGNORED

Selfie - Girls With No Makeup For Cancer

Pickle Rick

Its a vanity look at me thing, totally disagree with it, if you want to give money to a cancer charity, just do it, no need for this self promotion malarky.

As a person who regularly gives to cancer charities and has have various loved ones die or have cancer, I don't see this in a good light.

It seems to be the wrong way around, people wanting to promote themselves on the back of a good cause.

Its a vanity look at me thing, totally disagree with it, if you want to give money to a cancer charity, just do it, no need for this self promotion malarky.

As a person who regularly gives to cancer charities and has have various loved ones die or have cancer, I don't see this in a good light.

It seems to be the wrong way around, people wanting to promote themselves on the back of a good cause.

Here here. Me and my fiance donate to cancer charities as we've lost loved ones in recent years. We don't bang on about it on social media.

Nb- I see the irony of my post but I can't make my point otherwise.

• Admin

I do completely agree also with Gambit and TRL, but one thing this will do is raise awareness.

If it meant one person found something that they wouldn't have done previously and get it treated - surely that has to be a good thing?

Also it may mean that those who would not have previously donated are now aware of how it can be done

Facebook is just a big self promotion tool anyway, most of the girls posting on my newsfeed with no make up (or, more often than not, less make up than usual) would be posting pictures of themselves even if they weren't doing it for charity.

I see this craze in the same way I look upon people sit in a bathtub of beans for a good cause. As long as charities get the money one way or another I can't critisize anyone for doing whatever they want to do, if that's 'no make up selfies' then go for it.

On a side note, if you do have Facebook, search for a page called 'Sellotape Selfie'. I don't think it's got anything to do with charity but I found it amusing.

Can't argue with the extra money from it

I just don't like the way it is done.  all about  the person self promoting themselves, i much prefer those who donate without the need to self publicise, as it isn't all about them, it is about the charity and those suffering from cancer.  To piggy back onto that in some vanity attempt makes my skin crawl truth be told.

But if the money is coming in  I suppose I have to accept that it is a good thing.

As a cancer survivor myself raising awareness is massive, and really does save lives as early detection of any type of cancer greatly increases the chances of survival. This particular activity though is very much open to abuse. If people are doing what they're supposed to (posting a picture and donating) then it achieves two of the major aims of any cancer charity in one go. I have personally seen a lot of women on Facebook posting pics where they look surprisingly glamourous (so not totally without makeup etc) and have made no mention of donating. In this case I am against their selfish action obviously and they should be ashamed of their actions.

In general though I don't see it being a bad thing. It is not really much different from "Movember" where men grow moustaches and are supposed to donate. If done right then I see not problem with it and obviously applaud the amazing amount of money raised.

I got crucified by a few females on facebook for making this point.

My point was aimed at the people who were posting pictures but NOT donating, or making any mention of how to donate or sharing any information etc.

It has raised a lot of money, and for those that got involved in the way it was intended, that's brilliant.

I do have an issue with the "raising awareness" aspect. What awareness are they actually raising? I am no more "aware" of cancer than I was two days ago. Not one post I've seen has shared any insight into what symptoms to look for, or how to check myself.

I'd go as far as saying that a huge majority of the people posting these photos (even if they donated as well) haven't considered checking themselves any more so than they had two days ago or are any more clued up on what symptoms to look out for (besides the obvious).

I got crucified by a few females on facebook for making this point.

My point was aimed at the people who were posting pictures but NOT donating, or making any mention of how to donate or sharing any information etc.

It has raised a lot of money, and for those that got involved in the way it was intended, that's brilliant.

I do have an issue with the "raising awareness" aspect. What awareness are they actually raising? I am no more "aware" of cancer than I was two days ago. Not one post I've seen has shared any insight into what symptoms to look for, or how to check myself.

I'd go as far as saying that a huge majority of the people posting these photos (even if they donated as well) haven't considered checking themselves any more so than they had two days ago or are any more clued up on what symptoms to look out for (besides the obvious).

I agree. It's kind of the real point I wanted to get accross, though you've made it clearer - ta!

Whilst it's going to a good cause - many on my FB are 'nominating' eachother and then posting their makeup-less picture, not exactly knowing why. No mention of donating to charity, just thick people who assume that it 'must be cool beasue their mates are doing it'.

Knowing these people, they're craze driven, but more to the point, they don't actually know why they're supposed to be doing it.

Archived