IGNORED

New And Improved Ashton Gate

leadman

but will it have any new parking?

if not, waste of time imo.

Or, at least, improved public transport. After all, Bristol is European Green City for 2015, so we'll have a Metro with an Ashton Gate station by then - won't we?

:rofl2br:

Oh dear, I think I've wet my self.

but will it have any new parking?

if not, waste of time imo.

Agreed massive waste of time. Just like the new Wembley and Emirates and St James Park (Newcastle) etc.

Although I suppose they all have a decent public transport network.

Hopefully the powers that be will see sense and reopen the station/line which is pretty much right next to the ground.

Agreed massive waste of time. Just like the new Wembley and Emirates and St James Park (Newcastle) etc.

Although I suppose they all have a decent public transport network.

Hopefully the powers that be will see sense and reopen the station/line which is pretty much right next to the ground.

Talk of a train station being built where the old Mercedes garage is now, with the line running near being opened to the public

Talk of a train station being built where the old Mercedes garage is now, with the line running near being opened to the public

Agreed, but as with everything in Bristol will it ever become more than talk.

However, we are now getting a rebuilt Ashton Gate, an arena is looking more likely than ever and just outside of Bristol there is an idenkit stadium being built so who knows about the line to Portishead!

Funding for Portishead line is confirmed recently, work though sadly won't start till 2016/17 and completion in 2019.

It shouldn't cost much to have a station at AG as platform and old walkways are still there

Don't forget the god awful BRT will run right by too

Fine, fine words, Tomarse ..............

Answer this:-

What facilities for the welfare of animals have been built-in to the new stadium plans??

We have crossed swords on this issue before Tomarse, I you should know how serious many City supporters take animal welfare issues.

TFR

Funding for Portishead line is confirmed recently, work though sadly won't start till 2016/17 and completion in 2019.

It shouldn't cost much to have a station at AG as platform and old walkways are still there

Don't forget the god awful BRT will run right by too

Funding may have been confirmed, however I also remember how the government had confirmed funding for the tram in the 90s.  All Bristol CC and neighbouring authorities had to do was decide the route but alas this didn't happen and many years later we are expected to be happy for getting a glorified bus route!

I also believe a station at Ashton Gate isn't actually included in the funding package as there is insufficient demand.  This would appear to be confirmed by the latest Network Rail report (the joys of Google!) which shows Ashton Gate being only an additional option to the planned case of stations at Pill and Portishead.  

However, I believe this didn't take into account Bristol City staying at Ashton Gate, the rugby joining us and an increased capacity.  For example we are likely to get a cumulative capacity of over 300000 this season (which equates to potentially 600,000 trips) so with us getting larger attendances and the rugby joining us if even 10% of fans travelled by train that would lead to a station usage of over 100,000 trips.  I have also been told one off events are generally excluded so therefore the balloon fiesta, harbour festival, music events at Ashton Gate etc which would all increase the annual usage of an Ashton Gate station are excluded from project viability calculations.  

Archived