IGNORED

Radio 5 Now

Portland Bill

Joey Barton plays the intellectual card but in reality is nothing but an aggressive thug.

He enjoys conflict, and is a troubled soul in many ways, but the way he spoke tonight was refreshingly honest, he has no love for those t...ts at the FA, especially Greg Dyke and Trevor Brooking.

Probably would make a very good manager, wouldn't he?   

Joey Barton plays the intellectual card but in reality is nothing but an aggressive thug.

I don't know if you heard the whole interview ( if you haven't you can on a podcast).

The whole " thug" issue was covered in the interview.

Perhaps ( if you didn't) you should listen.

Caught the end of it, an must say I'm less cynical about him than I was.

Sir Clive Woodward has time for him, which is a telling endorsment.

Bloke's reading for a Philosophy degree, suggesting he is not just playing a card and does infact have something between the ears. Doing it to help channell his energy, apparently - far preferable to drinking and fighting if you ask me!

Troubled soul? Don't make him a victim, his crimes have been quite nasty.

Agreed, was making the tea in the kitchen and stumbled across this interview, and compared with the smoke blowing dross you normally hear it was refreshing to hear some honesty about the FA etc, but his antics have been way too bad in the past for me at least to think he is nothing less than a thug. I would not class him as a victim, never said that.

He clearly has had a troubled past and of course has done some disgusting things. However I salute him for at least trying to better himself and address his issues. I also think we'd do well to remember that trying to overcome issues like the ones he has isn't a straightforward linear thing - he will / has made progress but we shouldn't be surprised if he relapses (as he has previously).

Archived