IGNORED

Has The City Commentator Been Made Redundant ?

Eco

Can anyone explain why there's no commentary for home games on player ?

Extended highlights without commentary takes a bit of getting used to, also looks as though was filmed with a hand held camera at times.

Well Brendon who used to do it went on to work with BBC. Ron still does some commentary but guessing it's when he's not got other commitments

Is this a wind up? So if Ron can't make it nobody does it?

Is this a wind up? So if Ron can't make it nobody does it?

He's probably not paid for it, cutbacks of relegation - media team is half the size it was.

Don't know, but on that subject, do you reckon that the commentry is done "live" or just voiced over after with mock excitement?

I think everything could be pre recorded just like the things you get on automated telephone messages. All you would need to do is record all the players' names and approx 10 ish standard phrases and then just join them together with a bit of recorded crowd noises. (With the pre recorder crowd noises you would obviously not included the farting I hear from the people near me in the Dolman)

Edit - on second thoughts , why not include the farting? It would give it a certain atmospheric extra that you don't get on Match Of The Day.

on a semi related point - what the **** is the resolution of these things? And is clicking on LOW/HIGH some kind of premium tv in joke?

Seriously for paid content this is an appalling service - I'd forgive any lack of commentary if the frame rate was reasonable and resolution was anywhere near basic youtube standards (and by basic: 240p would be a vast improvement on what's on offer).

I think everything could be pre recorded just like the things you get on automated telephone messages. All you would need to do is record all the players' names and approx 10 ish standard phrases and then just join them together with a bit of recorded crowd noises. (With the pre recorder crowd noises you would obviously not included the farting I hear from the people near me in the Dolman)

Edit - on second thoughts , why not include the farting? It would give it a certain atmospheric extra that you don't get on Match Of The Day.

A few years ago when Points West actually showed BOTH teams goals, they had a standard "crowd roar" for goals. So you would get say Swindon v Accrington , AS would score, you could see about TEN guys on the away terrace leaping around to the roar of about ten THOUSAND, it was so bad ,it was good !

Don't! For the abandoned Liverpool cup game I was sat next to an obese bloke in the Williams who said not a word but farted continuously for 67 minutes. He greeted the Chief's goal with an extra loud and smelly one. I reckon he caused the floodlight failure by corroding the cables.

on a semi related point - what the **** is the resolution of these things? And is clicking on LOW/HIGH some kind of premium tv in joke?

Seriously for paid content this is an appalling service - I'd forgive any lack of commentary if the frame rate was reasonable and resolution was anywhere near basic youtube standards (and by basic: 240p would be a vast improvement on what's on offer).

Agree on the crap resolution, hopefully a HD can might get put in new Williams stand

He's probably not paid for it, cutbacks of relegation - media team is half the size it was.

Possibly though not 100% sure the cuts have been that drastic, considering some of what was done in-house is now outsourced (e.g. graphics design to Ed Furniss - previously in-house at BCFC - at Brandal)

Agreed, quality is embarrassingly poor and the quality on the Android app is even more pitiful. 

Agree on the crap resolution, hopefully a HD can might get put in new Williams stand

Not sure how a new stand will affect what camera is used. Unless things have changed since last season, it'll still almost certainly be Nigel Turner Productions (former ITV West Sport) providing the pictures under contract to IMG (http://nigelt.net/index.php?news&nid=2). It's even possible that the pictures are being recorded using an HD camera already.

I agree with everyone else re the poor video quality. Why is that though. If you watch the highlights live on the football league show or later on iplayer they are still much better than bcfc player. Presumably it's the same camera/footage?! But why so rubbish?

Does anyone else think the camera work is appalling too?  It's always zoomed in too far - for example, if a cross goes into the box, you can't see what's going on in the box until the ball gets there because the camera is tracking the ball too closely.

The goals from the Preston game on youtube are a classic example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1-NdsDAHUo

Archived