IGNORED

I Deserve More Recognition - Toure

Keith_Lemon

"his composure, intelligence and economy of movement was often mistaken for a lack of both pace and commitment"

Now, who does that remind me of?

Our own "Ethiopian Prince".

Pele was a truly great player, but he does sometimes tend to rewrite history to make it fit the myth.

Surely having many more than ten world class players negates the term? No way is Toure in a world top ten

Top 10 of what?  Players, or players by position, because I guarantee you Ronaldo and Messi are piss poor goalies :)

Likewise do you do top 10 of position they play in?

Toure is one of the best at what he does, I always say you term world class by achievements at a world level and the ability to do it against the best at Domestic European, European, Copa America and World cup level.

I am not sure Toure has proved that.

World class and the best are banded about a lot,much like Sherwood saying Man City were the best in the World, well, they are only the 3rd best at Premiership level (at the moment) and nowhere in europe, so even judging a ex pros idea of best, is at best flawed.

I guess it is what you term world class, As a strong dominant central midfielder, he is up there with the best, but for me he has never truly dominated at the top level over a period of time.

Based on the last five years or so. Bear in mind Toure left Barcelona as he couldn't get a regular place

Messi

Ronaldo

Xavi

Iniesta

Hummels

Buffon

Neuer

Lahm

Suarez

Cole

Cole? Ashley Cole? The guy who can't get into the Chelsea team?

Buffon, 5 years ago maybe, but not now.

The clue would be.... read what he typed ;)

I did, but Buffon would of been classed of world class 5 years ago at least, not in the last 5 years.

Also if you solely went on the last 5 years you couldn't include Hummells, Neuer etc as it was only in the last 3 years they became so good.

I did, but Buffon would of been classed of world class 5 years ago at least, not in the last 5 years.

Also if you solely went on the last 5 years you couldn't include Hummells, Neuer etc as it was only in the last 3 years they became so good.

The last 5 years does include everything before today!

I define world class by picking a World Cup style squad of 22. Ie 3 keepers, 7 defenders, 7 midfielders and 5 strikers.

Would Toure make it? I reckon he would, No English player would though

That is what I would base it on

But has Toure dominated in Europe, has he dominated in WC?  or a ANC?  I don't think he has, he has looked good in the Premier League, and that is it, for me that does not in anyway class him as world class, that makes him good in the domestic game.

I also agree there would be no English player in it.  2-3 years ago, Cole would of been there.  But that is about it in recent years.  Maybe Ferdinand at his best, 6 years ago, who used to turn up in the big games when it required him to concentrate.

But has Toure dominated in Europe, has he dominated in WC? or a ANC? I don't think he has, he has looked good in the Premier League, and that is it, for me that does not in anyway class him as world class, that makes him good in the domestic game.

Very valid point to be fair, would Gerrard make it ahead of him?

Very valid point to be fair, would Gerrard make it ahead of him?

Hmm interesting, also a very good domestic player, but nothing above that constantly, although he did pretty much run the show in the 2nd half of the champions league final.  For that, I guess he trumps Toure, but not world class for me.

But has Toure dominated in Europe, has he dominated in WC?  or a ANC?  I don't think he has, he has looked good in the Premier League, and that is it, for me that does not in anyway class him as world class, that makes him good in the domestic game.

I also agree there would be no English player in it.  2-3 years ago, Cole would of been there.  But that is about it in recent years.  Maybe Ferdinand at his best, 6 years ago, who used to turn up in the big games when it required him to concentrate.

But Messi hasn't dominated in a WC....

But Messi hasn't dominated in a WC....

Exactly,  I think i had this conversation a year or so back, until he does it, He can't be seen as truly world class, he has dominated in Europe though, so he is pushing on towards it.  lets see how he does in  WC and Copa America.  His legacy will not be as a great if he doesn't start to pull it off at international tournament level, where he has often been found wanting and has come under massive criticism from his own fans.

Exactly,  I think i had this conversation a year or so back, until he does it, He can't be seen as truly world class, he has dominated in Europe though, so he is pushing on towards it.  lets see how he does in  WC and Copa America.  His legacy will not be as a great if he doesn't start to pull it off at international tournament level, where he has often been found wanting and has come under massive criticism from his own fans.

But then again if you look at his record for Barca you can't watch him and say he's not up there as one of the two best players.

It makes it really hard to define world class.

But then again if you look at his record for Barca you can't watch him and say he's not up there as one of the two best players.

It makes it really hard to define world class.

Indeed it does, but i do believe to be world class you need to do it at international level (unless of course you are in a team so shite that is impossible... a la George Best) 

Messi need to step up to world level  Otherwise he is, I guess, a Class player at domestic and Club European competition.  He will never get the accolades of players who turned it on at world cups and the like.

Lets put it this way, he is never going to be a Maradona or Pele when you look back at what they achieved.  Maradona is at another level when you consider what he did Napoli, and at International level.  That Argentina was good, but it need his wizardry to make it great.  It is what Messi needs to do to be world class.  

Anyone who questions or doubts that Messi is world class really needs to have their head checked out. His record is phenomenal. He has scored in two Champions League finals, broken records and scored many international goals, including a hat-trick against Brazil. It just so happens that Argentina as a team were no match for Germany in the last World Cup. Spain won the World Cup but Torres isn't fit to wipe Messi's arse

Zabaleta IMO is the best RB and he's no where near world class. Baines LB for me and same can be said about him.

Toure is a quality player and best CM in the prem by a mile. But world class... he is not

He rarely sets the world a light Suarez, Ronaldo, Messi style. Pops up with some magnificent strikes and that's about it

Being World Class doesn't always mean doing fancy things, a la Suarez et al. Roy Keane was world class but he didn't do the fancy stuff either. Yaya Toure has a phenomenal goalscoring rate for a midfielder

Archived