IGNORED

Wade Elliott

Scrumpy_247

I thought Nosworthy was pretty poor against Notts County though.

have to disagree with you there, Nyron was a rock not letting anything past him, if he was marking there goal scorer I doubt he would of got his head to the ball,

have to disagree with you there, Nyron was a rock not letting anything past him, if he was marking there goal scorer I doubt he would of got his head to the ball,

Apart from when he tried running with the ball, got tackled and the guy went past him.

Or when he got excited and thought he was a right winger and was trying to cross.

Don't really think he's suited to the right sided role of a back three. Got exposed when caught out wide 1v1 with Grealish and when he goes forward he hasn't got a clue what to do. For me, he'd be better off in the centre with Osbourne on the right hand side. 

Elliot and Nosworthy must be the best loan signings for years and if we can sign them both for next season then the spine of the team is pretty much sorted.

To be honest I think that Elliot is a very good player but he has spent most his career as a winger and for me is a bit lightweight for central midfield.

What he is good at, and I think this is down to experience, is his willingness to want the ball into his feet even if under pressure to then make a quick pass and take a player out of the game for the team to then exploit the space.

If we can find a player capable of doing that who is a bit younger than Elliot but also has a bit more about him then that would be perfect. Unfortunately that player will no doubt be out of our price range so in which case Elliot maybe our best option.

It is so frustrating seeing City play at the moment and only Elliot and Paterson be able to play with a marker on there backs. We need more players to be able to do that.

As good as he has been, we need to not go back on our under 24 policy as I imagine his wages will be fairly costly as well. Reid to come in for pre-season and show us what he can do.

Oh ffs......the policy was never only sign under 24s, more experienced players could be bought as and when required but would be the exception and not the norm.

The first half of the season the average age of the squad was 24 and we found ourselves languishing at the bottom of the league. Cotterill came in, saw the inbalance and inexperience and went out and got the required experience....we are now safe.

End of this season Carey, Pearson, marvin and Fontaine are out of contract and are unlikely to be retained. This will free up wages but will also effect the squads experience and average age so although we will still no doubt look to buy good talented younger players, cotterill may well retain some of the experienced loans or got out and get some experienced players to compliment the young squad......I'd be more than happy for wade to be given at least a year

I just wanted a quality midfielder regardless of age and Wade is one. If you watch the games he is, even at his age one best and also one of the fittest players on the pitch on a regular basis.

This may be true but he is also playing for a living next year.

Obviously you cant predict what he will be like if he signs but is it worth the expensive risk that we all wanted to stop taking?

This may be true but he is also playing for a living next year.

Obviously you cant predict what he will be like if he signs but is it worth the expensive risk that we all wanted to stop taking?

The last good creative midfielder we had was Hartley and he was no spring chicken either! Maybe that's what we need is that bit of experience and a calm head in there.

Isnt this what we all wanted to stop?

No. We wanted to stop FILLING the side with older players. But you cannot have an imbalance as our league position after half the season showed. By adding some experience and know how in the right amount and in the right positions it will actually help us reduce the average age of the side in the long term. It is these older heads who teach the nippers how to play the game and keep them calm in new situations that they won't have encountered if they've only played 25 league games.

I have to hold my hands up and say that after his first couple of games I said he wasn't good enough. However - how wrong was I? He has been terrific, I hope we can get him on a 1 year deal after this season - thoughts?

I'll also hold my hands up and admit that I was very critical of this signing.  Not because of age or ability though, but because of fitness and due diligence.

SC freely admitted that he'd not seen the bloke play for years and had no idea what his fitness was going to be like and whether he could actually do a job.  It was a 1 month loan initially and he was awful in his first couple of games (clearly unfit), so to me it seemed like an expensive gamble.

As it is, he turned out to be very good and I'll happily say fair play to SC on this one - a good loan.  Whether we can compete for his signature in the summer (or indeed whether we want to) is another matter entirely.

We went with young players at the beginning if the season (Jordan Wynter anyone?)

Didn't work, rarely does. How old was dean windass when he scored on the play off final? Portsmouth were won the championship with 100 odd points with sherringham, Merson & sherwood.

You need that experience in every team, regardless of standing

Said before and will again; yes, Elliott is old by the standards of most pros, but he's had the advantage of playing alongside the likes of Graham Alexander and Robbie Blake at Burnley, who both were highly competitive in their mid to late 30s, so he might have picked up a few tricks from them.

Plus, as mentioned above; Hartley was an effective and important player for us, as was Tinnjon.  

I think we could do significantly worse than look to bring him in.

Elliott doesn't play like he's old though!

Marvin Elliott plays like he's 10 years older than Wade. I reckon he has 3 years left in him, A one year deal triggered a second if he plays half the season (starts that is) seems fair.

Since he's found his legs we've been in remarkable form only being totally beaten once yet he was still the best midfielder on show. Reid can learn a lot from him very similar players

Elliott doesn't play like he's old though!

Marvin Elliott plays like he's 10 years older than Wade. I reckon he has 3 years left in him, A one year deal triggered a second if he plays half the season (starts that is) seems fair.

Since he's found his legs we've been in remarkable form only being totally beaten once yet he was still the best midfielder on show. Reid can learn a lot from him very similar players

I think this is a good compromise for all parties. Lets hope no championship club is interested in him....

Archived