IGNORED

Why Bristol City ?

Major Isewater

Same as others,my old man used to watch City one week and Rovers the next,when he married me Mum,it was one or the other and even though he was brought up in Whitehall a short stroll from Eastville,there was only ever one choice.He always used to say that even back then only City tried to play football,and Rovers would just kick it as high and as far as possible.

I had a visit to my primary school from Bristol Rovers who gave me a ticket to go and watch them. I got home and showed it to my dad who was a City fan. He said "You are not going to watch that crap". He then proceeded to tear up the ticket in front of me and then took me to Ashton Gate the following week for my first ever match. I was hooked. I then proceeded to invite all my friends to come down with me and we were all from Gas territory. Last time I checked they are all still staunch City supporters. I am so glad my dad did what he did. I am always surrounded by insanely jealous Gasheads and I couldn't bear to have supported that shower of sheet for the last 35 years.

Because they wore red, like the team I first grew up with before moving to Bristol as a kid.

The "other" team won the Championship less than 48 hours ago and is still on for a quadruple (now Juventus on Thursday)  :fingerscrossed:

10171016_10154045740535716_5714522245226

1510982_10154045741215716_68889382857423

Father, mother, both grand fathers and nan all City fans so not much of a decision to make. Dad used to watch both teams in the 50s but only ever 'supported' the City. He said even back then Rovers never had any ambition and it was always City who strived to do better. Growing up in Gas terority it could be tough at times, especially the mid to late eighties and their run of derby success but hand on heart I have always been relived to follow the 'big team' in Bristol.

All the boys in our street were football mad in coalpit heath in the 1960s, most liked man u and/or the gas, five of us picked the city to be different and it just seemed 'cool' to go right across town to ashton ! A bit like mods or rockers . Four of us still go and so do most of our kids. It was mods by the way, and still is.

As a teenager in the 1960's, I used to come into Bristol, from Frome, with my brother to watch the occasional City or Rovers match, depending who was playing at home.

When i eventually moved to this wonderful city, with my own family, in the mid 80's, my 8 year son wanted to support a football team, so I took him to AG one week, and to Eastville the next.

The third game I took him to was a derby game at Eastville. I knew we were going to be City supporters when City scored and my son, surrounded by gasheads, cheered his head off. 

Fortunately we were with friends who were gasheads, so we managed to get out of the ground un-scathed.

So in our case, that is:-  Why Bristol City

Went to eastville once with a friend of my dad who the same as many in the 60'sused to watch both he was a farmer and had to milk his cows so. Could not travel away and loved his football . I remember there were about 17000 at eastville I was stood on the side some ware could not see much and got quite bored ,saw my uncle about a week later who was s season ticket holder at city said come with me to see some proper football next week .0 0. Draw not to good but be going ever since and only went back to eastville for Derby s

In the blood. All down to my old man really. Took me in an itchy duffle coat when the Williams had some sort of family enclosure. It's a hazy memory but I cried when we scored at one of the first games I went to because the noise was a bit if a shock to the system! Presumably cos I couldn't see the pitch. Chelsea at home was my first east end memory, I think we won 4-1 and they had a big man with an Afro in goal in a yellow jersey, sponsored by commadore, beasant perhaps?

Happiest memory is Palace away in the semis a few years back, great to share that 25 yarder with the man who got me into it in the first place

The reason Dads a fan is cos he got taken to games all over the country by his Uncle - both from Chipping Sodbury and I grew up in a gas part of town so all the mates are devastated at the moment! Tried to get turned by a neighbour once who took me to Trumpton, one of the most boring days of my life and i wasn't having my old man look at me like a piece of scum again so that was that.

Taking my nephew on Sat to say farewell to the stand where it all began for me, actually a bit emotional writing this but for all the right reasons, hoping to carry on a family tradition.

City till we die and beyond that

Moved to Bristol about 25 years ago. Moved into a shared house in Totterdown with a City fan already living there who got me lashed on cider and took me to the Gate one Saturday. Never looked back. He left Bristol 10 years ago. Despite options to do the same, I stayed - always living south of the river - and have reared 3 Bristolian kids. All season ticket holders like me!!!

(I figured there isn't my hope in attracting new fans from our footballing endeavours so thought I'd best breed some!!)

I'm from the US, and I visited London last October. One of the things I wanted to do while here was to see a football match. A friend I have here offered to take me, and plans were made to travel to AG. The game was rescheduled due to international call ups, and I was quite sad. We went to the game at Wycombe, as it was the only way I could see City play. I was hooked immediately, and I've faithfully tuned in every Saturday since, despite the time difference. 

I am planning a return trip to the UK next year, and hope to be able to take in a home game and an away game. 

I'm the offspring of one of the reasons Bristol clubs don't attract bigger crowds considering the size of the catchment area; my parents aren't Bristolian but immigrated here  :fear:

Fortunately, they didn't have any ill-fangled ideas about bringing already established allegiances with them.  My Mother's father was a mad Southampton/Bournemouth fan (depending on who was at home) and his brothers actually played for Southampton - so football's in the blood but my Mother didn't particularly care until she had four sons.

Now today's addition of 'This is your life' is done I can get to the point.  My Dad worked opposite Ashton Gate (Strachan & Henshaw, now Babcock) when I first demanded going to a live game at 8 (1990) - so City it was.  

Dodged a bullet with the new-aged travellers residing in Bath at the time, could have been so different.   

Grew up in Horfield and although the Gas were still at Easville Horfield was still mainly a Gas area. But Paternal Grandfather was City due to living in Dundry whilst working at the Bristol Bus & Car Factory. Moved to Filton when he transferred to Rolls Royce. My Old Man grew up supporting City in Filton and it continues..Unfortunately my Son supports Manure, Sad but he grew up in the north west

Our Cub master - a Rovers fan - took us on a Pack outing to Eastville for the Glos. Cup Final in the late 60's, with what in retrospect was the clear intention of indoctrinating us into becoming Rovers fans. We were from what you might call a fairly neutral area of Bristol and I doubt any of us had been to a League ground before, so he probably thought there was a good chance of persuading a few of us over to the dark side.

For some reason we ended up in the open end and were grouped together at the wall at the front with the bank of City fans behind us. 

When the teams came out I immediately liked the look of the City Red and was mesemerised by the colourful and noisy City fans around us. I can't be certain 40+ years on but it seems very likely that the 9 year old Nogbad took an instant dislike to the vile blue quarters and was very put out to hear that bloody foul Irene dirge for the first time. Certainly that's been the case on both counts for as long as I can remember.

Anyway, ex- Cub leader Michael Patterson, if you're reading this, you'll no doubt remember that CIty smashed your beloved Rovers 5-0, the flower beds were trampled by celebrating City fans (much to my amazement) and at least one of your young charges became a lifelong Bristol CITY supporter that night.

With little parental interest - my Dad preferred Rugby - it was the first year at secondary school before me and some mates found our way to Ashton Gate on our own for the League Cup semi final v. Spurs and that first incredible night in the East End - it was like a new world being discovered - is when the love affair was truly born.

Suffice to say I rather took to Ashton Gate, and Bristol City F.C., so much so that I haven't missed a season since.  :city:

Archived