IGNORED

3 Losses In 3 Months

Our form post Christmas, even accounting for those not so great results, is very good, and if that is what we can look forward to next year, we certainly will have a much mire positive campaign.  Cotterill has done a very good job turning us around.

and I have to say apart from the odd badly defended goal, we have also been on the wrong end of more than our fair share of stunning strikes and some cruel deflections.

What has been undeniably impressive are the results since the end of February, particularly. I don't think it is either productive nor beneficial to ask if SOD would have been able to claw us away from the basement like Cotts has. We will never know.

All I know is he appeared to be turning a corner, the board panicked, I disagreed with the sacking and we have pulled well clear under a manager I said, in spite of misgivings, I would back from day one.

Bravo to Cotts and the team. I hope the board do it differently next time however and avoid the wrath from the fans which, in part, was justified.

I think most of us who watched O'Driscoll's team DO know. We were going down like a stone under the most depressing and uninspirational City manager I've seen in 40+ years. There was no mythical corner being turned at all, that's just utter cobblers.

As for the board panicking, that's nonsense too. They belatedly made the right decision to jettison a truly disastrous manager before another likely passionless slide into relegation became an inevitability. The 'wrath from the fans', which was evident from a number of persistent posters on here, was NOT mirrored at the ground or in the fanbase in general in my experience, where SO'D's dismissal was in fact widely welcomed with a sense of great relief.

The nasty ill informed and personal comments made by quite a few fans when Cotterill was appointed were embarrassing for the posters at the time and even more so now.

How wrong they were in every respect, and good to see the majority now have the good grace to admit it.

and I have to say apart from the odd badly defended goal, we have also been on the wrong end of more than our fair share of stunning strikes and some cruel deflections.

True.

We'll obviously always be vulnerable to these type of occurrences, but we've shown the sort of fight and sustained good play under Cotterill to counteract the majority of these.

Am feeling positive for the future, which considering the fact we've spent the majority of the season fighting against relegation says a lot about the current manager's impact.

All I know is he appeared to be turning a corner, the board panicked,.

Maybe they learnt their lesson from last season when they should have got rid of McIness after Wolves at home in early December?

It was a great decision IMO and gave Cotterill time to turn us around. I agree with another poster who said that SO'Ds time as manager has been the most depressing period I've known as a City fan in 28 years. I don't know if he would've saved us from the drop this year but I do know for a fact that SC has, thankfully. The Board at least deserve a bit of credit for acting when they did.

There has been too much debate about whether we had "turned a corner" before SO'D's sacking.

Fact - we DID turn a corner under SO'D.

Unfortunately, it happened after our win over Middlesborough last season.  It was SO'D's 11th game in charge, and at that point he had won 5, drawn 2 and lost 4.

We had 9 games left and staying in the Championship looked possible.  But those 9 games yielded only 2 (yes, TWO) points and we surrendered our Championship status with an embarrassing lack of fight.  Many of that team have gone on to do well at other Championship clubs.

Since we appointed SC, a further 21 league clubs have appointed new managers - that's more than a fifth of all league clubs.  Yet, strangely, our "highly respected" former head coach was not one of those new appointments.

Here is my dream scenario - SO'D does not manage in the league again.  Instead, he gets appointed Bristol Rovers head coach this summer :cool:

I think most of us who watched O'Driscoll's team DO know. We were going down like a stone under the most depressing and uninspirational City manager I've seen in 40+ years. There was no mythical corner being turned at all, that's just utter cobblers.

As for the board panicking, that's nonsense too. They belatedly made the right decision to jettison a truly disastrous manager before another likely passionless slide into relegation became an inevitability. The 'wrath from the fans', which was evident from a number of persistent posters on here, was NOT mirrored at the ground or in the fanbase in general in my experience, where SO'D's dismissal was in fact widely welcomed with a sense of great relief.

The nasty ill informed and personal comments made by quite a few fans when Cotterill was appointed were embarrassing for the posters at the time and even more so now.

How wrong they were in every respect, and good to see the majority now have the good grace to admit it.

Well most have had the good grace to admit it but the main offender was OTIB and his silence is deafening!

There has been too much debate about whether we had "turned a corner" before SO'D's sacking.

Fact - we DID turn a corner under SO'D.

Unfortunately, it happened after our win over Middlesborough last season.  It was SO'D's 11th game in charge, and at that point he had won 5, drawn 2 and lost 4.

We had 9 games left and staying in the Championship looked possible.  But those 9 games yielded only 2 (yes, TWO) points and we surrendered our Championship status with an embarrassing lack of fight.  Many of that team have gone on to do well at other Championship clubs.

Since we appointed SC, a further 21 league clubs have appointed new managers - that's more than a fifth of all league clubs.  Yet, strangely, our "highly respected" former head coach was not one of those new appointments.

Here is my dream scenario - SO'D does not manage in the league again.  Instead, he gets appointed Bristol Rovers head coach this summer :cool:

what was it 3 wins in 27? thats not a corner being turned thats a car being driven off a cliff

SOD is a good coach but was at City at the wrong time, he was the wrong man to halt the downward spiral! No matter who he bought in I still think we would have struggled under him.

Cotterill has done fantastic, every player other than JET have improved, he has turned the club around, we now have a team who are 'winners' hopefully we can keep Elliott and Nosworthy! Next season is looking positive if he especially keeps Flint and El Bad away from the starting 11.

if we'd of picked up 24 points in the first 11 then we'd still be unhappy at not being in the play-offs :)

If we had got 24 points from the first 11 games to add too our total, then we would be in the play-offs, with minimum of 6th placed finish already assured.

Archived