IGNORED

Pearson -Deal Or No Deal ?

Major Isewater

I can see both side of the arguement but throwing money at unproven players isn't the answer,

Remember we signed a promising central midfield from arsenal (which would of cost us a fee due to his age) and look how he's turned out,

Just to point out, he is now being converted to a very promising RWB in the under 21's team and it would be a big surprise not to see him make a telling impact on the first team in the next season or 2.

Where will it end?

Judging by OTIB this summer we should now be signing Pearson, Nosworthy, Elliott, Gillett...

We'll be back to Dad's Army next season if we're not careful.

Maybe we did not sign enough quality, experienced players last summer and the balance needs redressing but we need to continue to add young players.

The 4 players mentioned above already have zero sell-on value.

Just to point out, he is now being converted to a very promising RWB in the under 21's team and it would be a big surprise not to see him make a telling impact on the first team in the next season or 2.

I've only seen him play central midfield to be honest, if thats the case then its good management again by Cotts or more then likely the chaps running the under 21's,

We do seem to do better with wing backs and 3 centre backs

Where will it end?

Judging by OTIB this summer we should now be signing Pearson, Nosworthy, Elliott, Gillett...

We'll be back to Dad's Army next season if we're not careful.

Maybe we did not sign enough quality, experienced players last summer and the balance needs redressing but we need to continue to add young players.

The 4 players mentioned above already have zero sell-on value.

who gives a **** about sell on value if it gets you into the play-offs?

I've said no deal, but signing good young players cost alot of money (look at maynard for example)

We haven't got endless resources and need to live with in our means, Central midfield is not a prioity at the club at the moment,

I can see both side of the arguement but throwing money at unproven players isn't the answer,

Remember we signed a promising central midfield from arsenal (which would of cost us a fee due to his age) and look how he's turned out,

Yeah, his fee was the square root of **** all and his wage is less than a fifth of some of our first team earners. If you are using him as a warning not to sign youngsters then as a warning not to sign older players I present: Adam El Bad. Ten times the cost, ten times the harm.

who gives a **** about sell on value if it gets you into the play-offs?

Very eloquently put young monkeh. Though, running a football club sensibly and sustainably might be the "give a ****" bit?

This is the trick; if he's happy enough to stay on a wage that fits Cotterill's plan for the squad, then great.

If he would cost us more than a potential replacement, then I'm sure we'll see him leave.

But I reckon he's a smart enough chap to know that he's probably not in the best negotiating position in what is a buyers market, and might see sticking on less money rather than twisting and the risks that entails as a good option.

He'd be a useful asset for us at this level, and his versatility is also a plus.

Great comment!

I think Cotterill will be looking at the big picture, and he will almost certainly be looking to build his own team and allocate resources as he sees fit.

Pearson is an option, certainly good enough for the level, but would we get an injury free season? Is the mix of youth and experience correct ?

Not an easy one to answer, I think Cotterill will wait and see, this in my mind would be a late signing rather than an early one.

We could easily regret losing him, but just as easily regret signing him. Not a decision I'd like to make!

Yeah, his fee was the square root of **** all and his wage is less than a fifth of some of our first team earners. If you are using him as a warning not to sign youngsters then as a warning not to sign older players I present: Adam El Bad. Ten times the cost, ten times the harm.

Very eloquently put young monkeh. Though, running a football club sensibly and sustainably might be the "give a ****" bit?

4 experianced players out of a squad of 24 isn't going to make a jot of difference,

We didn't sign any experiance at the start of the season and we nose dived,

We are in a postion to sign some (Not pearson) which will help devlop our younger players then we should take it,

Look how Williams has improved since nosworthy has been here I'm sure players like ried and bryan are picking things up from elliot,

You can't just buy young players and hope it works you need a blend,

Every signle sucsessful team every has had the right blend of youth and experiance, take liverpool they have old heads there like gerrard and Skertal who are helping players like finnigan and henderson

4 experianced players out of a squad of 24 isn't going to make a jot of difference,

We didn't sign any experiance at the start of the season and we nose dived,

We are in a postion to sign some (Not pearson) which will help devlop our younger players then we should take it,

Look how Williams has improved since nosworthy has been here I'm sure players like ried and bryan are picking things up from elliot,

You can't just buy young players and hope it works you need a blend,

Every signle sucsessful team every has had the right blend of youth and experiance, take liverpool they have old heads there like gerrard and Skertal who are helping players like finnigan and henderson

Even the Mancs had experience like Bruce, Pallister, Huges, Irwin, when they famously "won (nothing) with kids"

It is ALL about getting the right blend of youth, experience, pace, possession, defensive solidity and attacking flair.

Not easy to get, but with the current players here, we are not far away from a decent season ahead, as it currently stands.

Even the Mancs had experience like Bruce, Pallister, Huges, Irwin, when they famously "won (nothing) with kids"

It is ALL about getting the right blend of youth, experience, pace, possession, defensive solidity and attacking flair.

Not easy to get, but with the current players here, we are not far away from a decent season ahead, as it currently stands.

indeed people moaning about the broken 5 pillers or signing "journeymen" haven't looked at the avg age of the squad even with thses players in it, I think its around 25? (some will will tell us)

The players Cotts brought in added the correct balance and signing 3 of those 6 isn't suddenly going to add 10 million to the wage bill (that has been reduced signifficatly),

I look at Pearson like a more expensive version of Wagstaff- He doesn't do too much spectacular but he doesn't make too many mistakes and will pop up with a few goals in midfield. I would prefer to see Joe Bryan next year and see him kick on with his development as he's definitely a more direct player.

I've said no deal, but signing good young players cost alot of money (look at maynard for example)

We haven't got endless resources and need to live with in our means, Central midfield is not a prioity at the club at the moment,

Plus all the best young talented players will be scouted by several clubs, not just us. That's what I don't get about a lot of football fans. You can't pop into asda and buy a player off the shelf

Cant see the point of this one, Bobby Reid is a better option in centre mid and Joe Bryan is better on the wing, both are better footballers with potential to exceed Pearsons level by far.

Blimey, they'll be good, then.

Come back to me when they've played in a side that has beaten Barcelona in Europe and scored the winner in the Championship play off final...

Cant see the point of this one, Bobby Reid is a better option in centre mid and Joe Bryan is better on the wing, both are better footballers with potential to exceed Pearsons level by far.

No Reid isn't a better option at the moment,

His development seems to of stagnated recently

With regards to the pillars, while none mentioned will have a sell on value they also wont cost a transfer fee as they are all out of contract. Personally i don't think the pillar is about not signing older players, its about not spending 1mill on Trundle who is in his 30's.

Regardless we have a lot of central defenders and a lot of central midfielders currently and this needs to be addressed by sufficient players leaving before we resign people who may not be first choice next year.

With Reid, Pack and Kelly under contract next year, unless one of them move on do we really need anymore than 2 additional midfielders? We have development players who can sit on the bench if we have enough injuries to use all 5 as well as Bryan, Wynter and Wagstaff who could possibly fill in.

Again i don't know if Reid and Kelly are in the managers plans as they seem to be out of favour so far but assuming they are then what 2 would people rather sign and would Pearson be one of them?

In a nutshell!

These blokes just about kept us up this year, what makes anyone think there is improvement in them to improve the squad as a whole.

Clear out Carey, Fontaine, Pearson, both Elliots (sorry Marv), Nosworthy and Barnett - plus El-Abd if anyone will take him, and there is a heap of money available for 2 good L1 players (Freeman for example) and quite a few promising youngsters.

If next season starts to go south, we can always use the loan market again. But to start with most of these old players as 1st teamers would be terrible.

I would hardly say finishing in the top 10 is 'just about keeping us up this season' :/

Seeing this season as 'rosy' is revisionist at best. And, it doesn't alter that fact, that having 7 or 8 players over 30 is NOT the way forward.

Just being picky but if you read the full thread its been pointed out that El-Abd is our only contracted player for next season over 26... I'm not sure where the other 7 30+yo players are coming from but you maybe getting a bit carried away.

I don't think anybody even the manager is thinking about giving all those mentioned contracts.

Also the reason we were fighting relegation was because of sod and the lack of players like nosworthy and wade Elliot

You can't if been watching the matches if you think Elliot nosworthy and Gillett are a waste of money they and cotts saved the ******* season

If you add Wade Elliot into the mix along with Pearson, Kelly etc, we have a lot of midfielders ATM and Cotts will surely want to bring his own people in, I would guess.

Pearson at times was excellent (Brum away) but far too inconsistent and injury ravaged plus on a relatively high wage. Unfortunately, we can't keep them all and I would imagine Pearson would be one to leave in order to free up wages and space within the squad.

The likes of Louis, Marv, Fonts and Pearson will probably be leaving this summer and I thank them for their endeavours on behalf of this wonderful football club. Louis leaving will really be worth discussing!

Archived