IGNORED

Steve Phillips

• Admin

Have a few strange memories of SP.

Queing to get tickets for the home game Vs Sheffield Utd and hearing over the tannoy the young goalie Steve Phillips would start in goal

Remember the "W anchor" gesture he did to us City fans going off the pitch at Notts County

His penalty save against the Sags

But my lasting memory of SP will be of his testimonial at Clevedon Town.

Myself and a few others were chatting to a few of the players when SP came outside for a chat.

Around then the rumours had just started that he was going to play for Rovers.

To this day I can remember him saying he was a City lad through and through and would never play for that shit!

We all thought, Ha Ha fair play but remember what happened only a matter of days later . . . .  Nothing like loyalty for you

Have a few strange memories of SP.

Queing to get tickets for the home game Vs Sheffield Utd and hearing over the tannoy the young goalie Steve Phillips would start in goal

Remember the "W anchor" gesture he did to us City fans going off the pitch at Notts County

His penalty save against the Sags

But my lasting memory of SP will be of his testimonial at Clevedon Town.

Myself and a few others were chatting to a few of the players when SP came outside for a chat.

To this day I can remember him saying he was a City lad through and through and would never play for that shit!

We all thought, Ha Ha fair play but remember what happened only a matter of days later . . . .  Nothing like loyalty for you

Points all well made.

At the end of the day, players cross divides pretty regularly, especially in the lower leagues, and can do it with class, even if some will never forgive.

Look at Sammy Baldock at MK Dons; can't help but score against them, but won't scream and shout about it.

I never really cared Phillips swapped to Rovers, until he made a big show if things during the JPT games.

Shame, but tarnished his rep for me with that.

I will initially give him a clap, because he did play for us for a long time and generally did well. He also sent the gas down.

If he shows anything other than humble appreciation to our fans tomorrow, then my applause will turn slightly more hostile.

We all thought, Ha Ha fair play but remember what happened only a matter of days later . . . . Nothing like loyalty for you

I met him in Reflex Nightclub shortly before he left City, had a chat with him, clearly unhappy about the situation under GJ. I said to him jokingly that if he does leave...just don't go to the Gas. He looked at me as if to say "no ******* chance!".

In his defence he was probably unlikely to say anything else when chatting to a taller pissed up City fan at 1am in a Bristol nightclub.

Overall, he was ok for us, not great not terrible. I always thought he was a bit dodgy when the ball was played back to him. Basso, Heaton, Welch and Sinclair were all much better keepers imo.

Knowing him I imagine he will expect some abuse but will not be that bothered, He's had a decent career and has done loads of charity work recently, 

If I wasn't welcome in my current job and offered a job by my works rivals and i meant i could stay and work close to my friends and family I'm sure I would consider it!!!

Ill clap him say hello he'll be on the bench so not much chance to give him any friendly abuse

Archived