IGNORED

Do The Points Still Stand?

TETBURY MASSIVE

Let's be honest; there was not an overwhelming ground swell of opinion that Steve Cotterill was a great choice when he was appointed and the vast majority weren't too happy, but turns out he's done very well. I thought he was a poor choice but was prepared (as with any new manager) to give him a fair crack of the whip and I'm glad he proved me wrong

Risky business is this. Keith Millen had a good finish to a season landing us on the 60 point mark when GJ left. Look how that turned out the following season?

If I were you, I wouldn't start these kind of threads ' I told you so ' because it always comes to bite you on the ass.

Also a fair point.

Although if the OP is trying to say that people should learn to give people a chance and judge them on what they do, then it's a good example to use.

If, however, he is being smug, then yes, it could come back and haunt him.

I don't think it was ever about who was right or wrong.  It was only ever about giving the bloke a chance.  Unfortunately some of our most well-informed, knowledgeable posters have made themselves look like prize arses with their know-it-all, negative comments and predictions of doom.  I think they should be reminded of it quite regularly.  

I think the past is the past, he was not my first choice (but those that were have nearly always proved me wrong), but I kept my views to myself at the time.

All I know is that, I enjoy his interviews. I enjoy watching the football he has brought to BCFC, I think he is a good bloke, I dont care he sound more like me, then a BBC news reader. I don't care he shouts instruction to his team (that is fair better then the past where I watched the manager slumped against the wall saying nothing, at places like Wycombe as as my beloved City got beat by a bunch of YTS boys.  

So for me he deserves a big pat on the back, hopefully he will come round to all sides of the ground at the end of the Crewe game and allow us to acknowledge what he has done for our club. If you not sure, cast your mind back to Nov/Dec of last year...

Also a fair point.

Although if the OP is trying to say that people should learn to give people a chance and judge them on what they do, then it's a good example to use.

If, however, he is being smug, then yes, it could come back and haunt him.

I don't think it was ever about who was right or wrong.  It was only ever about giving the bloke a chance.  Unfortunately some of our most well-informed, knowledgeable posters have made themselves look like prize arses with their know-it-all, negative comments and predictions of doom.  I think they should be reminded of it quite regularly.  

I think the past is the past, he was not my first choice (but those that were have nearly always proved me wrong), but I kept my views to myself at the time.

All I know is that, I enjoy his interviews. I enjoy watching the football he has brought to BCFC, I think he is a good bloke, I dont care he sound more like me, then a BBC news reader. I don't care he shouts instruction to his team (that is fair better then the past where I watched the manager slumped against the wall saying nothing, at places like Wycombe as as my beloved City got beat by a bunch of YTS boys.  

So for me he deserves a big pat on the back, hopefully he will come round to all sides of the ground at the end of the Crewe game and allow us to acknowledge what he has done for our club. If you not sure, cast your mind back to Nov/Dec of last year...

These are the points one was trying too make...... just saying we should learn too give people a chance before writing them off..... managers... players.... new signings......

Risky business is this. Keith Millen had a good finish to a season landing us on the 60 point mark when GJ left. Look how that turned out the following season?

If I were you, I wouldn't start these kind of threads ' I told you so ' because it always comes to bite you on the ass.

Excellent point, though I feel I should point out as someone who initially was sceptical of his appointment, I'm now sold on his ability to turn us around.

My position at the time was that I was concerned his 18 month away from management might have had a negative impact on his ability to slot in quickly and turn us around, but always said that he had one goal, and one goal only this year; keep us up.  

He's done that, and if we end up finishing in the top ten, he'll not only have achieved his goal, but exceeded what I believed the team to be capable of just a few months ago, so I'm happy to see him start on the longer term plan of getting us out of this league (which; for the record, I don't see happening next year with out a lot of work, and I'd not hold that against SC).

The difference between Millen and SC though is that we got those 60 points under KM by scrapping through to the end of the season, we've done it with SC by being progressive about the way we play. Interestingly, iirc, both 'escape acts' were largely enacted in the 3-5-2 formation

Give it a rest mate and let the past lie. I think there's been more than enough 'I told you so' threads to last a lifetime.

How about we all get behind the current management and playing staff and try and bring some unity and positivity back to the fine art of supporting the club.

Give it a rest mate and let the past lie. I think there's been more than enough 'I told you so' threads to last a lifetime.

How about we all get behind the current management and playing staff and try and bring some unity and positivity back to the fine art of supporting the club.

Well said, sir :clap:

Let's be honest; there was not an overwhelming ground swell of opinion that Steve Cotterill was a great choice when he was appointed and the vast majority weren't too happy, but turns out he's done very well. I thought he was a poor choice but was prepared (as with any new manager) to give him a fair crack of the whip and I'm glad he proved me wrong

Exactly this! In the poll only a small number of people wanted him in!!!

Now just because some people said they didn't want him in because of reports from other clubs fans they have to eat humble pie, Which most have. What about the people who didn't want him in but didn't say anything?

I've had my humble pie which I like as it means my Club is finally doing alright :D

I always like to try and give managers time so i didn't make predictions of doom some notable posters did which were very vocal (a few still are with rumblings of arguements between board and manger with out producing any facts)

but can we give it a rest please

The OTT reaction to SOD' s sacking still sticks in the caw of some of us. I was called a fellator by one tiny-brained Barclay Banker on here for having the gall to suggest we give SC some time before we judge.

The whole sorry episode diminished many posters credibility. Vast weight was given to the opinions of about a dozen Forest fans on their forum, pragmatism went out the windows. I now seriously doubt some posters' abilities to make rational judgement.

Like Barbs3 I welcome the humble pie admissions and look forward to a time when we don't have to constantly discuss "that" decision.

But the uncalled-for bile and insults directed at those of us who dared question the wailing and gnashing of teeth when the club sacked its most unsuccessful manager in history has left a very bitter taste in the mouth. Hence, you'll get threads like this.

I've eaten a lot of humble pie as I had posted in the thread at the time criticising the timing of SOD's departure and questioning whether SC was right.

However it's not like this was all a revolution from the start and some of the concerns weren't warranted. Games like Brentford away stick in the mind.

On Red-Robbo's point - I didn't see all the insults/SOD support, but worth saying some of us just don't like sacking in principle, not in defence of SOD.

I also think some people me included identified with an anti-stereotype/not afraid to tell the press the truth, though I rarely argued for SOD either way. 

Nothing changes. It will always be the same with intellectually pleasing managers playing ineffectual football. The quotes could be from 15 years ago.

In the early days of City on the Internet the arguments between those who believed in Benny Lennartsson and didn't were incredible (and identical). 

"Now he is beggining to shape the squad how he wants and we're going backwards. Also as I thought would happen."

I nearly pissed myself when I read this comment, Who was it, go on, own up? What else do you 'think' might happen, I would to you know, can you tell me the lottery numbers too whilst you're at it, you'd be my best chance of ever winning. :laughcont:

"Now he is beggining to shape the squad how he wants and we're going backwards. Also as I thought would happen."

I nearly pissed myself when I read this comment, Who was it, go on, own up? What else do you 'think' might happen, I would to you know, can you tell me the lottery numbers too whilst you're at it, you'd be my best chance of ever winning. :laughcont:

Have a guess!!

The OTT reaction to SOD' s sacking still sticks in the caw of some of us. I was called a fellator by one tiny-brained Barclay Banker on here for having the gall to suggest we give SC some time before we judge.

The whole sorry episode diminished many posters credibility. Vast weight was given to the opinions of about a dozen Forest fans on their forum, pragmatism went out the windows. I now seriously doubt some posters' abilities to make rational judgement.

Like Barbs3 I welcome the humble pie admissions and look forward to a time when we don't have to constantly discuss "that" decision.

But the uncalled-for bile and insults directed at those of us who dared question the wailing and gnashing of teeth when the club sacked its most unsuccessful manager in history has left a very bitter taste in the mouth. Hence, you'll get threads like this.

I don't get what this thread and the OP have to do with SOD. There was a similar thread earlier in the week, 'well done SC', and from the second post on it was hijacked in the same way by the SOD OFF brigade. I just don't get this apparent view that if you approved of SOD then you must dislike SC and vice versa: that somehow SC doing well proves that SOD didn't and vice versa.

I'll support ANY City manager (with possible exceptions for Osman and Pulis!). I still think we'd be about where we are if SOD had stayed. I know you don't agree Robbo; I respect your view, and I hope you respect mine. The fact is neither of us will ever know for sure. But please don't put me - as one of those who opposed the sacking - automatically into the camp of those who knocked SC. I wasn't overwhelmed by the appointment, but I was more than willing to support him as our manager, and to give him time. He's done a good job of keeping us up.

Your post above correlates throughout disagreement with sacking SOD with lacking support for SC. That's simply not the case for me, and I suspect for many others. They are two entirely different things.

I don't get what this thread and the OP have to do with SOD. There was a similar thread earlier in the week, 'well done SC', and from the second post on it was hijacked in the same way by the SOD OFF brigade. I just don't get this apparent view that if you approved of SOD then you must dislike SC and vice versa: that somehow SC doing well proves that SOD didn't and vice versa.

I'll support ANY City manager (with possible exceptions for Osman and Pulis!). I still think we'd be about where we are if SOD had stayed. I know you don't agree Robbo; I respect your view, and I hope you respect mine. The fact is neither of us will ever know for sure. But please don't put me - as one of those who opposed the sacking - automatically into the camp of those who knocked SC. I wasn't overwhelmed by the appointment, but I was more than willing to support him as our manager, and to give him time. He's done a good job of keeping us up.

Your post above correlates throughout disagreement with sacking SOD with lacking support for SC. That's simply not the case for me, and I suspect for many others. They are two entirely different things.

It might not Dave. What I'm saying is that people (like me) who suggested supporters shouldn't pre-judge Cotterril but give him a bit of time and see if he could turn things around, got shouted down and abused on this forum by a noisy minority and that hasn't been forgotten or forgiven. Go back and look at the posts made on December 3rd if you like.

If some of those being derided at the time want to rub some old quotes in the faces of the football geniuses who knew we were in for a season of "hoofball"; "clapped-out journeymen"; "unattractive football"; "no young players"; "falling attendances" and "relegation" under Cotterril, I can understand that.

It's a fairly bitter situation of their creation.

Curiously, I think it was some of the Cotterill supporters who created the false impression that he was a shouty arm-waving lump-it merchant, which is clearly what they wanted, This, not unnaturally, put up the backs of the football-lovers among us.

In fact, he's proved to be nothing of the kind. Shouty and arm-waving yes, but that's as irrelevant as being sniffy and soft-spoken. He has shown that he has a good eye for a player, and is determined to play football. The three goals last Saturday were as fine examples of flowing football as you could wish to see.

I do wonder, though, how O'Driscoll would have fared as Head Coach under a real manager, rather than Bert the Invisible Man...

Archived