IGNORED

Mcphee Off To Portugal

Big Nose

Port Vale striker Stephen McPhee is snubbing Leeds United, Bristol City and Queens Park Rangers in order to join Beira Mar.

The highly-rated goalscorer is linking up with Mick Wadsworth in Portugal after deciding against remaining in England.

Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell had been hoping to sign the Scottish hit-man, although his initial bid was rejected by Vale.

"Contrary to several reports from the club, I can confirm that Stephen is set to sign for Portuguese First Division club Beira Mar next week," agent David Manasseh told www.stellargroup.co.uk.

"Unfortunately, he has been forced to seek a move abroad even though there were several excellent offers on the table from other English clubs.

"Port Vale seemed determined not to let him move to another English club unless they received a totally unrealistic fee.

"I suppose the good news for Port Vale fans is that the club must have money to spend if they can afford to turn down the offers that have been made for Stephen, bearing in mind that he is now leaving for nothing.

"Stephen now can't wait to get started on the next phase of his career."

Sky Sports News

Few english players ever go abroad and it seems to me when they do they never last longer than about a year and then come back for example Cureton. Good luck to Steven but it woudn't surprise me if he was back in the country soon enough playing for another club!

Archived