IGNORED

Some Questions About Next Season Targets :)

Mihai

First of all I want to say hello to all after a long absence on this forum. I am that Romanian City's fan, maybe some of you guys, will remember about me.

I don't know much about current situation, and I want to know if our team targets for next season are promotion to Championship. The board prepare a new stadium for the team but if the team will stay in League One, is useless certainly...

The budget of the team is alright ? I mean financiar situation... We will see some fresh signings and talented ?

Thanks in advance I can't wait for some answers. I will come back tomorrow and I will read all. God night to all !! Or evening, eh here is +2 gmt :P

The budget is still good, and we are waiting to hear in the next week or so the "retained" list - apart from the loanees no idea who Cotterell is eying up!

Steve Landsdown confirmed, as already stated that a promotion push is the aim next season - but also said that it was the aim this season. Make of that what you will ;)

1) Aims

Easy.  We should be aiming for promotion next season.  Nothing less.  Our budget will be one of the top 3 or 4 in the league, so used wisely we should be expecting to be up there somewhere.

2) Stadium

The rebuild is an absolute necessity, regardless of which division we will be in once completed.  The only saving grace to not achieving the aim of promotion is that it gives us another year of reduced capacity in League 1, before we would hope to get back to the Championship the following year when we will be able to compete at a better financial level with the rest of that league.

3) Budget

This summer will see the best opportunity for any of our last 3 managers in terms of available budget.  It's been tough going but we've now finally got rid of a lot of high earning chaff.

Fontaine, Carey, Marv, Pearson all out of contract at the end of this season.  Add to that the departures during this season of JWilson, Kilkenny, Shorey & Taylor.  Plus those released end of last year Skuse, Nyatanga, Stead, Davies.

All of a sudden, the squad isn't full of high earners who are either past their prime or underperforming (given their wage).

This also means that for the first time in a number of years, the incumbent boss has a much more free reign in the transfer market- he must still be very prudent, of course, but not nearly as prudent as the last few years.

4) Targets

Once those out of contract and on loan have left, we'll be left with a squad looking something like this :

GK : Fielding, Parish

LB : Cunningham

RB : Moloney

CB : Flint, El Abd, Osborne, Williams

CM : Kelly, Pack, Reid, Wynter

LM : Bryan

RM : Wagstaff, Burns

ST : Baldock, JET

That's only a 17 man squad.  I'd guess there might be some interest in the likes of Baldock & JET.  I'd imagine Maloney will be touted around as I don't think SC wants him.  We might see Wynter moved on as I also don't think SC thinks he's good enough. I'd also imagine we might have to try to find a new home for El Abd if we can.

We will probably see youngsters such as Richards, Batten, Morrell, Hall & Mafuta join the first team squad at times during the season, but none of them will be 'regulars' at this stage.

So that, in my opinion, leaves us needing cover at left back, a new right back + maybe cover at right back, a new centre back, a centre mid, a winger each side and a striker or 2.

Would like to see us seriously interested in the following (we won't necessarily be favourites to sign any of these, but I'd at least like to see us try) :

LB : Ben Purrington, Luke Garbutt or Baily Cargill

RB : James Tavernier, Anthony O'Connor, Luke Ayling or Joe Rafferty

CB : Jack O'Connell, Curtis Nelson, Shane Duffy or Josh Meekings

CM : Matt Grimes, James Wallace, Luke Young or Jordan Rossiter

LM : Jack Grealish or Chris Forrester

RM : Luke Freeman, Zeli Ismael or Jay O'Shea

ST : Scott Hogan, Jack Redshaw, Luke James or Andre Gray

Very detailed. Thanks man  :clap:  !!!!!!!!

Good news, and like you said, we need to keep a good manager for long time, that changes just destroy the moral of our team players. To be honest I really want to sign other players in defense. I really don't like Fontaine, too slow and many errors during all games. Carey is very old, cant play like 6-7 years ago for example. I just look at Soton and Norwich... for them relegation to League One was a "good thing" . They have PL experience and Soton at least is a good PL team.

Keep touch guys ! A good night to all !

Archived