IGNORED

Praise Where Praise Is Due....

RedM

Some people are all too ready to slam our players on occasions so I just wanted to put my recent experience to address the balance.

A few weeks ago I posted on here asking people's experiences of getting players to attend schools or sports/youth groups etc as a one off visit. My daughter is an apprentice at an inner city primary school and as a ST holder suggested it would be good for some of our players to go in and talk to the children. She was given the task to arrange this but met a brick wall when she tried the Community Trust (unfortunately at that moment in time her school couldn't commit to becoming a partner school).

People on this forum were very helpful and one person in particular (you know who you are) was in contact with Wes Burns and with the clubs permission arranged for him and Derrick Williams to visit the school yesterday. The visit was really successful and the players made quite an impression on the children. Wes and Derrick gave up their afternoon for the visit, it was their own free time. They read with the children and answered loads of questions. The children were still talking about the visit today.

Like I said at the start of the post it's only fair to praise when praise is due. Even though they weren't there on 'official' club business they represented the club really well and professionally. Their families should be proud of them too as they really are 2 great young lads. So thanks again to them and all who were involved.

Even if just one of those pupils become hooked for life then it is worth it. That is potentially thousands of pounds over a life time. I become Hooked on City when some players came into my school and did a one off coaching session. I really can't for the life of me remember who the players were but I remember we made flags etc in school and it was that one visit that did it for me. On the other side Rovers sent free tickets to the school but sent no players, i even went to a few games but I guess cityplayers doing a coaching session had more of an impact to me than Rovers sending tickets through the post. Fair play to Burns and Williams. Reading this has reminded me some footballers are still human and understand that their roles can be a positive influence to the average person.

Some people are all too ready to slam our players on occasions so I just wanted to put my recent experience to address the balance.

A few weeks ago I posted on here asking people's experiences of getting players to attend schools or sports/youth groups etc as a one off visit. My daughter is an apprentice at an inner city primary school and as a ST holder suggested it would be good for some of our players to go in and talk to the children. She was given the task to arrange this but met a brick wall when she tried the Community Trust (unfortunately at that moment in time her school couldn't commit to becoming a partner school).

People on this forum were very helpful and one person in particular (you know who you are) was in contact with Wes Burns and with the clubs permission arranged for him and Derrick Williams to visit the school yesterday. The visit was really successful and the players made quite an impression on the children. Wes and Derrick gave up their afternoon for the visit, it was their own free time. They read with the children and answered loads of questions. The children were still talking about the visit today.

Like I said at the start of the post it's only fair to praise when praise is due. Even though they weren't there on 'official' club business they represented the club really well and professionally. Their families should be proud of them too as they really are 2 great young lads. So thanks again to them and all who were involved.

Great to see the players giving up their own time to build relationships for the future. However, it is a real shame that a wall was hit when going through the community Trust. Surely they should have bitten your hand off to get players into the school, rather than saying no.

Through my job I had some dealings with the clubs commercial department a few months ago and I couldn't believe how incompetent they were.

Superb and hats off to those players.

The flip side, utter shambles that two players (perhaps more) are willing to give up their free time to represent the club in such a positive way and perhaps even generate significant revenue, but red-tape and beaurocracy almost prevented that happening.

Excellent stuff.

Full credit to the players and all of those involved in making it happen. It's a fantastic gesture by the club.

My partner is a primary school teacher. She asked me a while ago if there was anyway the club would send some players in to meet the children and give a talk about working as a team etc. I got in contact with Dave L around a month ago and even though it was not his line of work he put me in touch with those that could make it happen.

This week Karleigh Osbourne and Frank Fielding went into the school in their own time to meet the children. Baring in mind all of the kids absolutely love City and they were absolutely over the moon. Both players were a credit to themselves and the club. They were absolutely fantastic with the kids. It really was a great gesture and the club and players agreed to this over a month ago (before we were safe from relegation) so I take my hat off to everyone involved. I know it made a lot of people happy and everyone was most grateful for the time spared. So thanks to all.

Praise where praise is due for sure.

I do get the impression that the current crop of players, through design or accident, are a bit more down to earth and humble than perhaps previous groups have been. Good to hear that two of our young stars are also decent human beings!

Yep we do have some decent players at our club.

I was at the shirt sponsors evening this week, and Greg Cunningham was going about making everyone cups of tea bless him!

He's been busy this week what with digging up the pitch as well.

We should be proud of the access we get, I can't see that being the case for top Prem teams.

Saying that, it is a shame the open day seems to have stopped. The young fans and potential fans loved that.

I went to an open day when I was 14 and that's had me hooked for 30 years!!! At that age it's an amazing experience & even now I'm sure i'd enjoy it. I still remember having my photo taken with Glyn Riley sitting on the edge of the bath!!! :yes:

Yep we do have some decent players at our club.

I was at the shirt sponsors evening this week, and Greg Cunningham was going about making everyone cups of tea bless him!

That's good to hear and it doesn't surprise me. Greg is one of the most polite and down to earth young footballers I have had the pleasure of meeting.

Archived