IGNORED

Leg Room In Upper Dolman

JohnM

At the briefing meeting for Dolman ST holders about the Ashton Gate redevelopment, I asked a question about whether it really was not possible to provide increased legroom in the redeveloped Upper Dolman.  David Lloyd kindly offered to find out if I emailed him the question. He has now replied and although, sadly, it doesn't actually answer the question as to why it couldn't be done - it does provide some useful info on the seat pitch for all the redeveloped stands.  The text of the response from the architect (which DL agreed I could post here) is as follows:

"DOLMAN STAND UPPER TIER

TERRACE GOING / LEG ROOM

It is acknowledged that the Existing Dolman Stand Upper Tier suffers from restricted leg room, in fact the Terrace Going is actually 660mm which is 100mm less than the Green Guide Recommended Minimum Going of 760mm.

The current Redevelopment Proposals do not permit any adjustments to the Dolman Upper Tier Seating although spectators will have a better C-value (view of the pitch) when the pitch is relocated and they will also have significantly better access to concessions at half time.  

The Lower Dolman Tier will be rebuilt with a new Terrace Going of 760mm, which will be equivalent to the Lower Tier Seating in the new Wedlock and Williams Stands. The Upper and Middle Tiers of the new Wedlock and Williams Stands will have substantially enhanced Terrace Goings of 840mm which actually exceed the Green Guide Preferred Going of 800mm.

Unfortunately altering the Upper Tier of the Dolman is not possible however relocating to the upper tiers of the other new stands is a possibility and would be most beneficial for people who are troubled by legroom issues.

Hopefully this adequately explains the situation and gives some consolation to any dedicated Dolman Supporters."

Thank you to the club for providing this information. Very interesting. A little surprised tho that prime seats (those on the side close to pitch) have lower leg room than the higher tiers. It most cases it's usually the other way around. The prime seats you would often find have the best leg room, views and are the most comfortable especially in nee stadiums/stands.

I believe the Dolman upper terracing will be retained for the refurb, so obviously the legroom is (literally) set in stone. There might be some scope to gain a few milliliters by installing different seating frames, but it would probably be negligible improvement. They were all updated a few years back anyway when the wooden ones were removed anyway, so I doubt much can be done.

Looks like the williams upper is gonna be the place to be for comfort.

Interesting stuff. Blocks C,D and E also happen the most expensive seats, despite having less leg room. Perhaps this policy,which if my memory is correct was introduced by Colin Sexstone, will need looking at.

Hear hear.

And I would be saying this even if I didn't sit there... 

I had a brief few seasons in dolman in the upper tier block D dead on the centre spot , an amazing view .

However moved to ateyo at the front of the upper tier and I love being able to jump around like a mad hatter when we score. Being tall it was such a squeeze in the dolman .

I'm guessing once Williams is rebuilt the dolman will be one of the cheaper places to sit after the rail seats .

A question for someone in the know.

The released images seem to show a new roof on the Dolman, is it expected that the new roof - if it is being replaced - is activity that will occur off-season, or will I need to buy a hat for those cold February nights when we have Barnet at home on a Tuesday in the LDV?

Did the lack of leg room come from the change from wooden to plastic seats?

The gap between rows didn't change and not sure whether the depth of the seats themselves changed but they did take the opportunity of squeezing in a couple of extra seats to every row in each block - which certainly didn't help.

The released images seem to show a new roof on the Dolman, is it expected that the new roof - if it is being replaced - is activity that will occur off-season, or will I need to buy a hat for those cold February nights when we have Barnet at home on a Tuesday in the LDV?

I think they are just adding a new section to the front to cover the new seating area at the front.

I'm not 'in the know' but would be surprised if they did it outside of next summer. I can't even imagine the safety implications of allowing masses of people into an unfinished stand especially where all the work is above head height.

Let alone the cranes they will need, i don't remember there being enough room behind the Dolman for a crane so i would assume they will need to bring it onto the pitch.

The gap between rows didn't change and not sure whether the depth of the seats themselves changed but they did take the opportunity of squeezing in a couple of extra seats to every row in each block - which certainly didn't help.

It did slightly change the seats were installed on the ledge behind rather than up against the back on the ledge as current. It made what was a small amount of legroom into nothing at all really.

I'm not 'in the know' but would be surprised if they did it outside of next summer. I can't even imagine the safety implications of allowing masses of people into an unfinished stand especially where all the work is above head height.

Let alone the cranes they will need, i don't remember there being enough room behind the Dolman for a crane so i would assume they will need to bring it onto the pitch.

I think you are probably right.

But bearing in mind that the lower tier will be constructed from jan onwards, it's very doubtful that it would be used/completed before the season is out. So in theory the roof could be extended in-season, but I think the common sense approach would be to complete it during the summer, unless the works are deemed an obstruction to the demolition of the williams.

This has been my problem this year. I'm not very tall so legroom doesn't bother me but unfortunately seat width does. No not me, but the person who sits next to me practically sits on my lap.

I have sat in the same seat for a number of years, sadly for me the people who used to sit next to me didn't renew their ST's so I've had a new person this season. He is quite a big bloke and spreads himself into my space which is really unpleasant. He is constantly putting his hands into his trouser and jacket pocket so I get elbows across my face, and as for the feeling, well he might as well be putting his hands into my pockets it's that close.

I've never had any problem sitting next to anyone before, only him. He just doesn't take the hint either, I try to elbow him back but to be honest he seems one of these pigheaded people who is a bully and wants to have the upper hand, it's his right to do what he wants. He also stinks of god knows what, stale booze, fags and TCP. He also has loads of other annoying habits, but that's not the issue here. He must know by now he is annoying and I'm sure he does things deliberately.

I couldn't move along the row or any where near. I go with 3 other people and it's hard to sit together, to move mid season. Anyway generally we like the other people near us and got to know them throughout the years.

A wider seat would certainly help in my situation, any chance of that? If I do renew this season I certain will ask if the person next to me has renewed and make my decision from there, it really has been that bad.

I think you are probably right.

But bearing in mind that the lower tier will be constructed from jan onwards, it's very doubtful that it would be used/completed before the season is out. So in theory the roof could be extended in-season, but I think the common sense approach would be to complete it during the summer, unless the works are deemed an obstruction to the demolition of the williams.

I don't know how much of the existing roof they are using but either way id guess they will need to get a crane in somehow to lift the beams and panels up, id say this is one of the reasons they were leaving the pitch another year as then any damage it caused to bring a crane in would've been irrelevant.

I guess time will tell though! Maybe they have a cunning plan.

Yes good point.

It appears to be a fairly rudimentary bolt-on to the existing roof which slants upwards to meet the new EE roof, with a modified truss supporting the new flood lighting.

Leg room has always been insufficient at AG.

I never sit in the williams. I remember once being in there and being in so much discomfort (I am tall) that I struggled to follow the game and after about 15 mins I just desperately wanted it to finish. If I had been on my own I would have left. The worst 20 odd quid I've spent.

Interesting stuff. Blocks C,D and E also happen the most expensive seats, despite having less leg room. Perhaps this policy,which if my memory is correct was introduced by Colin Sexstone, will need looking at.

Here here, says the Block D, 6ft 3 person!

I'm a short arse (175cm (the kids are metric, so I'm converting!)) so legroom is not such an issue

Dolman seems OK for average people, but for an example of excellent seating, City need look no further than Stadium:MK, which was verging on luxury - loads of legroom and padded seats! 

I know that many on here have no time for MKD and so on, but you have to admit that the ground is very accommodating in that regard.  Wonder how our plans compare to theirs?

I'm a short arse (175cm (the kids are metric, so I'm converting!)) so legroom is not such an issue

Dolman seems OK for average people, but for an example of excellent seating, City need look no further than Stadium:MK, which was verging on luxury - loads of legroom and padded seats!

I know that many on here have no time for MKD and so on, but you have to admit that the ground is very accommodating in that regard. Wonder how our plans compare to theirs?

The lower bowl of Ashton Vale, 22,000 seats I believe was taken from mk, would have been exactly the same.

For an example of excellent seating, City need look no further than Stadium:MK, which was verging on luxury - loads of legroom and padded seats! 

I know that many on here have no time for MKD and so on, but you have to admit that the ground is very accommodating in that regard.  Wonder how our plans compare to theirs?

Stadium MK is easily the nicest of the new(er) stadiums I've been to in recent years. Its just a bit embarrassing for them that there's hardly anyone in there to appreciate it.

I'm a STH in Block B, and I can honestly say that I find the legroom ok. I'm also 6ft 3! It was better with the old wooden seats though.

Exactly.  The reply given is complete bollocks.

The wooden seats gave adequate legroom and you were not completely squashed up against your neighbour.  Heaven help you now if you are neighbours with anyone slightly overweight.

The new plastic seats were just a money grabbing, squeeze more people in exercise.

Outrageous.

Exactly.  The reply given is complete bollocks.

The wooden seats gave adequate legroom and you were not completely squashed up against your neighbour.  Heaven help you now if you are neighbours with anyone slightly overweight.

The new plastic seats were just a money grabbing, squeeze more people in exercise.

Outrageous.

I suppose I should thank SOD that the clinically obese fellow to my left decided to stop going by October....

I suppose I should thank SOD that the clinically obese fellow to my left decided to stop going by October....

Well you'll be glad to hear that the new development makes provision for the clinically obese, as recommended by the green guide:

A number of specifically produced so-called elephant seats, complete with built in buckets of crisps, chocolate and pizza will be installed in the space where the current players tunnel is, after it moves to the new williams.

Well you'll be glad to hear that the new development makes provision for the clinically obese, as recommended by the green guide:

A number of specifically produced so-called elephant seats, complete with built in buckets of crisps, chocolate and pizza will be installed in the space where the current players tunnel is, after it moves to the new williams.

I say chaps!! All this negative stuff about obese people is very upsetting to some of us us Dolman wallers. The legroom is a joke and the seats are more confined since the Sexstone squeeze - but chubby fellows can adapt - I have two seats and would be happy if these were transformed into one larger, padded elephant seat. Plugging is toilet facilities would also be jolly good!!

Archived