IGNORED

The Passing Of Frampton Gas (Les Barnes)

alanpayne

Whether we are Red (as I am) or Blue, we are ALL part of the football family so please allow me to post the following which has been extracted from the Bristol Rovers Forum.

It concerns the sad, sudden and unexpected passing of my dear friend Les Barnes (aged just 60). Some of you may know him from local football. He appeared for SWEB (Avonbank), Townsend Transport, Compton Rovers, Mounthill Enterprise and probably otherS I've forgotten. Some of you may also know Les through Bowls. He was one of Bristol's finest bowls players and represented both Gloucestershire and Somerset.   

Posted Yesterday, 10:40 AM

It is with great sadness that his friends have to report that Frampton Gas aka Les Barnes died suddenly on 29th April.
Les who was just 60, had been a life long Rovers fan, he was a season ticket holder, share scheme member & helpline member. He rarely missed a home game & went to many away games. He valued the banter on the Forum and was often the voice of reason.
Les was very sad, unhappy and worried about the terrible situation Rovers are in at the moment, whilst excited about the planned move to the UWE. He had many friends at Rovers & even friends from the Darkside with whom there was regular good humoured banter. He had an excellent sense of humour and was known for his brilliant one liners
Les will be sadly missed, Saturday will be particularly difficult for his mates as there will be an empty seat in the East Stand when everyone really hopes the team can perform on the pitch & save Rovers from dreaded relegation, although in the bigger picture his death does put things into true perspective
Goodnight Les & we hope your seat in the great stadium in the sky is as good as your seat in UWE would have been
And as Les would say Up The Gas

I used to know Les very well when we were younger. Les, me and a couple of our other mates went on many, many nights out as well as several memorable holidays together. I am extremely proud to have known him and to have been able to call him my friend. Even though I haven't seen him for too many years, learning today of his passing has knocked me sideways. (I know that the news will have hit you even harder, Payney.)

To Les' many friends on the Blue side of town, my sincerest condolences. Saturday was always going to be emotionally draining for you all to get through. Losing one of your own - and such a nice guy - so suddenly will make it even tougher and more poignant. Sing a rousing chorus of "Good Night Irene" for Les, you guys. He'll see you in his dreams..

Rest peacefully, Barnsey. Night mate.

Many thanks to the Bristol City supporters, who have demonstrated that we are part of a wonderful football family, by paying their respects to Les on here. I know that this will be a great source of comfort to his family and it also makes me feel very proud of our Club.

Les, we will never forget you. R.I.P.  

Many thanks to the Bristol City supporters, who have demonstrated that we are part of a wonderful football family, by paying their respects to Les on here. I know that this will be a great source of comfort to his family and it also makes me feel very proud of our Club.

Les, we will never forget you. R.I.P.

A top class county bowler. Somerset Middleton cup lead. I know He will be sadly missed by Bristol bowling club.

Many people don't know but tucked behind the corner of the east end and dolman stand is a bowling club. This club has churned out many county and international bowlers over the years.

Rest in peace Les

Archived