IGNORED

End Of Season Form

samo II

After the last day of the season there has been an understandable focus on the establishment of ourselves as Bristol's only league club, but...

Looking back since the start of March (Gillingham home game), we've ended up finishing the season in fantastic form.  

- only 3 defeats in 13 games 

- 26 points from those 13 matches (2 points a game; for context, Wolves took 30 in their last 13)

- 4 clean sheets over those 13 games (not brilliant, but twice the number we managed in the other 33 matches)

- 23 goals in 13 games, and ended as 2nd highest scorers outside the top six (behind Coventry)

Yes, the team will be different come the start of next year, and a few of the squad who played roles in that run may or may not be here (Baldock, Nosworthy, Gillett, Wade Elliott and perhaps Moore too), but the bedrock will still be, as will the manager who trained, organised and put out the team.

A solid summer of smart investment (by which I don't mean big money, rather wisely used funds) and realistic expectations (for me; striving for, rather than expecting, play-offs) and hopefully we can avoid the type of negative drama of the last few seasons next time out.

After the last day of the season there has been an understandable focus on the establishment of ourselves as Bristol's only league club, but...

Looking back since the start of March (Gillingham home game), we've ended up finishing the season in fantastic form.

- only 3 defeats in 13 games

- 26 points from those 13 matches (2 points a game; for context, Wolves took 30 in their last 13)

- 4 clean sheets over those 13 games (not brilliant, but twice the number we managed in the other 33 matches)

- 23 goals in 13 games, and ended as 2nd highest scorers outside the top six (behind Coventry)

Yes, the team will be different come the start of next year, and a few of the squad who played roles in that run may or may not be here (Baldock, Nosworthy, Gillett, Wade Elliott and perhaps Moore too), but the bedrock will still be, as will the manager who trained, organised and put out the team.

A solid summer of smart investment (by which I don't mean big money, rather wisely used funds) and realistic expectations (for me; striving for, rather than expecting, play-offs) and hopefully we can avoid the type of negative drama of the last few seasons next time out.

Well said .

Hopefully the momentum will carry on into the next season, and even if it doesn't we really should have learnt the lesson that all is not lost or won (Ha ha the Gas) until the final whistle of the final match.

Isn't there a team, can't remember who,maybe in league 2 or the conference, that were in the bottom 2 at Christmas and now are in the playoffs? There are some strange results around this season, ask Liverpool!

Hopefully the momentum will carry on into the next season, and even if it doesn't we really should have learnt the lesson that all is not lost or won (Ha ha the Gas) until the final whistle of the final match.

Isn't there a team, can't remember who,maybe in league 2 or the conference, that were in the bottom 2 at Christmas and now are in the playoffs? There are some strange results around this season, ask Liverpool!

After losing to Bury away on 29 Dec 2013, York City were only outisde League Two's drop zone on goal difference (one point behind Rovers, for the record) and now are in League Two's playoffs, having lost just two games since, going into the playoff on a 17 match unbeaten run, and having conceded just five goals in that run too.

we need to carry the form over,

its encourging to read that little bit on baldock this morning who stats he's loving live at city, if we can tie him down jet down (i think jet will leave myself) then we have the striking front sorted,

we need to add more goals from elsewhere on the pitch however

we need to carry the form over,

its encourging to read that little bit on baldock this morning who stats he's loving live at city, if we can tie him down jet down (i think jet will leave myself) then we have the striking front sorted,

we need to add more goals from elsewhere on the pitch however

Agreed, though defence is still an issue, considering where we placed with the number of goals we scored.

Six month ago I'd have said JET staying would have been an A1 priority, but now I'm not so sure.  Big fan of what he CAN do, but clear he's not been as influential under SC.  If the gaffer can get him back to his blockbuster form from the first half of the season, then he'll be a key player, but if someone swooped in now with cash that could either help us keep Baldock or strengthen the team... I dunno.

And whether we keep Baldock or not, we need at least one other striker who can worry opposing defences as much as he does (a potentially 10-15 goals a year player) because outside JET and Baldock, we don't have great front line options.

York was it, thanks for that I thought I heard it right. What a season they've had, especially if it carries on, just show's what can be achieved. I don't know much about them, wonder what their turning point was.

I agree with the point about Jet too, 6 months ago being the priority and I'm not sure now. For me it seems we've had trouble getting the other players around him to get the best out of him, ie allow him to be Jet really. Two of these players have been loans so might not stay. Are we looking at getting 2 midfielders in to accommodate Jet or 2midfielders who are good and can play in their own right? It's quite a big thing to base your team around one player in the hope that he performs. Add to that we need another player beside Baldock as Barnett wasn't the answer. Did Jet bring out he best in Baldock or is the answer still elsewhere?

Agreed, though defence is still an issue, considering where we placed with the number of goals we scored.

Six month ago I'd have said JET staying would have been an A1 priority, but now I'm not so sure.  Big fan of what he CAN do, but clear he's not been as influential under SC.  If the gaffer can get him back to his blockbuster form from the first half of the season, then he'll be a key player, but if someone swooped in now with cash that could either help us keep Baldock or strengthen the team... I dunno.

And whether we keep Baldock or not, we need at least one other striker who can worry opposing defences as much as he does (a potentially 10-15 goals a year player) because outside JET and Baldock, we don't have great front line options.

I honestly believe we should add nosworthy to the defense when it was him osborne and williams we started to look really solid with maloney and cunnigham as wing backs,

I don't know about El Abd I was giving him a chance to start with but he hasn't taking it and Flint was imporving but its whether he comes back the same player as its not his first knee injury and I have a bad feeling it won't be his last,

With the added protection we had from gillet when he played we also looked decent defending, pack can't add that so I think a DMC and some one who can pop up with goals in the middle as well (2 CM's maybe)

Its going to be a massive season for both Bryan and Reid next year both started promising but both failed to grab their chances with both hands (more so reid then bryan),

But the good thing is there is plenty of space to add to the squad and I actually trust SC to improve it, going to be an intresting exciting summer thats for sure

Archived