IGNORED

Stadium Question

Simon79

Why would we need it to be any bigger?

Apart from the odd cup game and 20k away gas fans (if we get to play them again)

when would we need more than 28k

Take your point. I just always liked the fact that Ashton Vale had this as an option if needed. If and it's a big IF, we ever were to make it to the holly grail. I believe that we would need more than 28k. Even more so now you know who, are not a league club anymore and possibly won't be for quite a while. So we don't need that big a capacity now, but surely it should be considered? If you want to be big, you have to think big.

If Bristol win the play-offs and are in the Premiership next year they are more likely to fill it than we are, they will have derbies against, Bath, Gloucester, and Exeter, as well as games against the likes of Leicester etc. They could be looking for Heineken Cup in a couple of years.

If Bristol win the play-offs and are in the Premier League next year they are more likely to fill it than we are, they will have derbies against, Bath, Gloucester, and Exeter, as well as games against the likes of Leicester etc. They could be looking for Heineken Cup in a couple of years.

That is a myth, City always attract bigger gates for our big games than Bristol do for theirs.

I would be surprised if there is as much demand at a 'New' AG compared to AV; the idea of hopelessly inadequate car parking alone will make thousands stay away.

If a new station is opened at Ashton Gate, and the stupid super bus goes ahead parking will be much less of an issue. It doesn't stop Brighton getting approx 30k fans every game!

If Bristol win the play-offs and are in the Premier League next year they are more likely to fill it than we are, they will have derbies against, Bath, Gloucester, and Exeter, as well as games against the likes of Leicester etc. They could be looking for Heineken Cup in a couple of years.

And yet they only had 5 and a half thousand out the Mem yesterday. Appalling support for what Sky keeps terming a "Rugby Mad City"!! Not only that but we hit the 14K mark a couple of times last season anyway - which will be about capacity next season. If we are in the top 6 we will be filling the Gate on a regular basis.

If a new station is opened at Ashton Gate, and the stupid super bus goes ahead parking will be much less of an issue. It doesn't stop Brighton getting approx 30k fans every game!

Completely agree with your point about the train station being opened. If the club can help push this through I genuinely believe our attendances would shoot up. Being able to get to the gate by train would makes it much easier for thousands of people to attend and I know lots of people that don't go but would if they could go on the train. Really think this is something that the club should look at in regards to the redevelopment.

You don't half talk a load of shyte. :boxing::laugh:   :whistle:

The only reason they will get decent crowds is because of the away support in those local derbies, because, those teams are in rugby cities, with no real competition from football. Bristol rugby have never attracted crowds to even compare with Rovers, even in their glory years of the early seventies. Their crowds are pitiful at present and they site the one game at AG against local rivals as proof of their potential. I remember seeing the crowd exit AG for that game and there seemed many more Bath supporters than Bristol. It was a one off game and the novelty of playing Bath at AG was the reason it attracted a larger than normal attendance.

You don't half talk a load of shyte. :boxing::laugh:   :whistle:

The only reason they will get decent crowds is because of the away support in those local derbies, because, those teams are in rugby cities, with no real competition from football. Bristol rugby have never attracted crowds to even compare with Rovers, even in their glory years of the early seventies. Their crowds are pitiful at present and they site the one game at AG against local rivals as proof of their potential. I remember seeing the crowd exit AG for that game and there seemed many more Bath supporters than Bristol. It was a one off game and the novelty of playing Bath at AG was the reason it attracted a larger than normal attendance.

I never said the ground would be full of home supporters did I? Just that the local derbies would attract large crowds, shyte indeed :)

Completely agree with your point about the train station being opened. If the club can help push this through I genuinely believe our attendances would shoot up. Being able to get to the gate by train would makes it much easier for thousands of people to attend and I know lots of people that don't go but would if they could go on the train. Really think this is something that the club should look at in regards to the redevelopment.

Not sure if the attendances will shoot up as Parson Street is quite close to the ground already and many people use it. However a new station will certainly help improve access for all, especially those from portishead.

Bristol rugby have never attracted crowds to even compare with Rovers

Not sure that's true, the last time Bris were in the premiership I seem to remember they were regularly getting 8,000 to 10,000 crowds at the mem. When was the last time Rovers averaged anywhere near that?

Not sure if the attendances will shoot up as Parson Street is quite close to the ground already and many people use it. However a new station will certainly help improve access for all, especially those from portishead.

Agreed but, until the whole rail network around Bristol is part of an integrated system, then I can't see there being much increase in usage. Back in the 70s they used to stop football specials there, there's very little chance at the moment of it being connected to anywhere else other than a  Portishead train, and they won't run too frequently, if it does ever get upgraded.

But wouldn't it be good for all followers of league football to have easier access to Ashton Gate.

Not sure that's true, the last time Bris were in the Premier League I seem to remember they were regularly getting 8,000 to 10,000 crowds at the mem. When was the last time Rovers averaged anywhere near that?

You're right, they did get those crowds regularly but, I believe that was only in the bigger games and against the likes of Bath and Gloucester. I believe their average attendances were quite a bit lower. I am talking historically here mind, you've compared a short successful period in Bristol rugby history with that of an ailing football club, who've been on the decline for many years. 

Two games ago their attendance was about 3,5k then 5k most recently in a semi final playoff. I'd suggest that if this were the other lot playing at a similar level in football, they'd have attracted far bigger gates than that.

The plan is "real soon now" to run through trains from Avonmouth & Severn Beach to Parson Street, which would be nice. Whether trains will run from Portishead in my lifetime is more doubtful. As they say, I should live so long...

The plan is "real soon now" to run through trains from Avonmouth & Severn Beach to Parson Street, which would be nice. Whether trains will run from Portishead in my lifetime is more doubtful. As they say, I should live so long...

If that's the case they should upgrade the line to Ashton as a matter of urgency and link a footpath to the park and ride site.

This would've made so much more sense than the ridiculous metro bus, but alas it is not to be.

And the train from Ashton could have followed the old route through the harbourside to Temple Meads via Redcliffe Way and linked back to the main line.

You're right, they did get those crowds regularly but, I believe that was only in the bigger games and against the likes of Bath and Gloucester. I believe their average attendances were quite a bit lower. I am talking historically here mind, you've compared a short successful period in Bristol rugby history with that of an ailing football club, who've been on the decline for many years.

Two games ago their attendance was about 3,5k then 5k most recently in a semi final playoff. I'd suggest that if this were the other lot playing at a similar level in football, they'd have attracted far bigger gates than that.

OK well I don't have any stats, but I lived close to the Mem at the time, and without doubt the rugby was busier week in week out than the football. And noisier too! I reckon there is a BIG latent support in the city for the egg chasers, and IF they get the promotion they deserve, the move to AG could be coming just at the right time for them.

Archived