IGNORED

Released Players - Has It Always Been Like This?!

Big Red Rich

I was just thinking that I couldn't really remember a time when so many players were being released by their clubs? I certainly can't remember it being like this say 10 years ago, granted 1 or 2 always left but some clubs are shifting out 8-10 players, a few clubs have realesed their captains, ever present players etc and nobody raises an eyebrow?! Is this a real shift in player power in the lower leagues?! Max 2 year contracts with a 1 year break clause the norm?

is this just a new thing over the past couple of years or have i just been living under a big stone?

In the lower leagues there is no longer a thing such as player power and long may it continue. Nobody wants to see the annual Rooney type saga being played out because they won't give him a Granny to shag in the showers after a game

If a player outside the Prem gets a long-term deal then it's not a very good idea if they're above a 'young' age. It's quite rare really and normally not a good idea. It can give the players an onus to do what they want and slip off the boil...

A-la El-Abd.

As O'Driscoll said, the transfer fee is almost dead in the lower leagues.

I reckon in a few years that one year contracts will be the norm for leagues one and two

I'm pretty sure that when Blackpool were in the prem they only offered 1 year deals and the end result was poor players playing out of their skin to earn another year. This is how football should work, none of us get the opportunity to perform shit & still be guaranteed another year or two in our jobs..

Archived