IGNORED

Exile Dilemma - What Would You Do?

kmpowell

I'm a Bristolian born & bred, who's spent over 23 years of his 37 years on this planet, at the Gate as a ST holder. In 2012 work took me away from Bristol to London short term (2-5years), where my partner and I planned to do a stint before moving back home. We had our first child 6 months ago, and naturally I'd like him to be 'City. He wore city baby grows and he has his first infant kit ready to go for when he's big enough for it in a few months. Our work/home circumstances have however changed since having our son, to the point where we've bought a house in Surrey and we'll be here for a few more years than first intended.

In the pub last night I was chatting to my friend who's been in London 5 years and is from Preston (we were watching the play-off semis), and we got on to the subject of his 3 year old. I asked how the 'Prestonisation' of him was going. His response was something I'd not considered...

"Well as much as I'd like him to be Preston, he was born here in Greenwich, so if he chooses to be 'Charlton' or 'Millwall' I won't have much of an option. If all his mates at school are going with their dads to see Charlton etc play then I can't really stop him can I?"

This filled me with dread as I frantically started googlemaps to see who our 'local' side would be in Surrey. To my horror I found that Palarse would be our nearest League club!!!! :o

So what do I do:

a) Carry on drumming City into him, and take him to City games as & when I can.

or

b) Let him pick his own side which will probably be Palarse, so he can fit in at school

Having grown up deep in the 'Blue' side of Bristol, I was the only 'red' at my school, so I know how hard it can be!

:help:

Tell if he doesn't support BCFC tell him that Santa won't call at christmas and there is no such thing as the tooth fairy, get a job early to start saving for his own education and 17 years of age he's an adult and pack his bags, simples.

PS:- Don't forget to disinherit him from your will.

Tell if he doesn't support BCFC tell him that Santa won't call at christmas and there is no such thing as the tooth fairy, get a job early to start saving for his own education and 17 years of age he's an adult and pack his bags, simples.

PS:- Don't forget to disinherit him from your will.

Tell him santa is a city fan. Hence the red and white.

Put your foot down, you're his father for god sake.

My lad (now 14 going on 50) has been following City since he was 2 and makes the weekly trips with me to wherever we're playing. He's got a whole bunch of City mates beyond his circle of peers, has an excellent knowledge of the geography and social history of the UK and knows a good boozer when he sees one. He's in the upper 60's in ground spotting and, unlike his mates who only dream of attending matches, can walk the walk in FIFA trumps. It also gives dad and son quality time when clocking up the miles each week. And yes, he loves it, his shirt, season ticket and the non-league status of the nomarks.

You have succeeded if he supports city.

You have failed but at least he has morals if he supports a local club 

You have failed and should be ashamed if he ever supports a "big" club

If the supports the gas you need to take a long hard look at yourself then divorce your wife, disown your son and go into exile for 30 years or so

My son grew up in 'that Americal'.

I took him for his inaugural visit to AG to what proved to be one of the dullest matches since Cotterill took over (Crewe). I don't think I converted him from (ice) hockey, but he has gone back to Michigan with a City beanie.

My son grew up in 'that Americal'.

I took him for his inaugural visit to AG to what proved to be one of the dullest matches since Cotterill took over (Crewe). I don't think I converted him from (ice) hockey, but he has gone back to Michigan with a City beanie.

Does he support Detroit Tigers? If he does, that's prepared him for a lifetime as a City fan.

Does he support Detroit Tigers? If he does, that's prepared him for a lifetime as a City fan.

He's more into 'college hockey', Aiz, but I do know he has a Grand Rapids Griffins shirt. They are in the (lower league) AHL - so City is a good fit for the lad!

I've lived in West London for the last 30 years, and my kid's school actually shares a border with Stamford Bridge. So, surprise surprise....they are Chelsea fans. But the interesting thing is that I also take them to see the odd City game. City are their "second" team. In fact it is relatively easy to support both Chelsea and City as they are so far apart in league terms, apart from a potential FA cup or league cup meet, they are not rivals.

In fact I can tell you the last time City played Chelsea. I was there. It was in the FA Cup, 1990. City won 3-1. 

Archived