IGNORED

Andy Butler

Thornbury Red

Interesting snippet at the bottom of this article?

Bristol City boss Steve Cotterill is quite prepared to wait until the "last moment" to sign the players he wants for next season's League One campaign.

The summer transfer window opens this weekend and City's manager is working his way through a long list of potential targets as he bids to replenish a squad that needs strengthening in certain areas.

Although he would prefer to land his targets sooner rather than later, Cotterill recognises that City are no longer a Championship club and may have to bide their time while richer rivals take their pick. Given that City may not be every player's preferred destination, the former Nottingham Forest and Portsmouth boss is prepared to be patient.

City's first-team squad report back for pre-season training at the start of July, and Cotterill said: "In an ideal world, I will have most of my new signings on board by then.

"If you can achieve that, it then gives you time to assimilate them into the group and gel things together before the start of the season.

"But the reality is, that is going to be very difficult to do. The biggest problem is that we are Bristol City in League One and not Bristol City in the Championship. There are certain players I want to bring here, but I know I'm going to have to wait and bide my time.

"By its very nature, the transfer window means you are very often forced to wait until the last minute. No matter how hard you try, it is not easy to get players when you want them.

"There is a very good chance I won't be able to get some of the players I want until after the season has started."

Having released four senior players at the end of last season to free up cash for new signings, Cotterill is in the market for a goalkeeper, a centre-back, goalscoring midfielders and at least one striker.

Preparing to take charge of his first pre-season programme since taking charge at Ashton Gate last December, he said: "That is my favourite time of the year. It is usually a difficult time for players and I never enjoyed the hard physical slog of pre-season during my playing days. But for a manager it is a good time to work with the players and for that bonding that is so important in any squad to take place.

"We are already some way down that road, because a lot of the boys who will be here at the start of next season finished the last one with me. I'm able to encourage them in the summer and they are going to respond, because I've not had to pick a team and I'm still popular with them!"

Captain Andy Butler has rejected the offer of a new Walsall deal and is free to discuss his future with other clubs. The 30-year-old centre-back has skippered the Saddlers for much of his time with the League One side.

Read more at http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Bristol-City-bide-time-signings-says-boss/story-21132148-detail/story.html#0S3YblT0FDZVvDyQ.99

Interesting snippet at the bottom of this article?

Bristol City boss Steve Cotterill is quite prepared to wait until the "last moment" to sign the players he wants for next season's League One campaign.

The summer transfer window opens this weekend and City's manager is working his way through a long list of potential targets as he bids to replenish a squad that needs strengthening in certain areas.

Although he would prefer to land his targets sooner rather than later, Cotterill recognises that City are no longer a Championship club and may have to bide their time while richer rivals take their pick. Given that City may not be every player's preferred destination, the former Nottingham Forest and Portsmouth boss is prepared to be patient.

City's first-team squad report back for pre-season training at the start of July, and Cotterill said: "In an ideal world, I will have most of my new signings on board by then.

"If you can achieve that, it then gives you time to assimilate them into the group and gel things together before the start of the season.

"But the reality is, that is going to be very difficult to do. The biggest problem is that we are Bristol City in League One and not Bristol City in the Championship. There are certain players I want to bring here, but I know I'm going to have to wait and bide my time.

"By its very nature, the transfer window means you are very often forced to wait until the last minute. No matter how hard you try, it is not easy to get players when you want them.

"There is a very good chance I won't be able to get some of the players I want until after the season has started."

Having released four senior players at the end of last season to free up cash for new signings, Cotterill is in the market for a goalkeeper, a centre-back, goalscoring midfielders and at least one striker.

Preparing to take charge of his first pre-season programme since taking charge at Ashton Gate last December, he said: "That is my favourite time of the year. It is usually a difficult time for players and I never enjoyed the hard physical slog of pre-season during my playing days. But for a manager it is a good time to work with the players and for that bonding that is so important in any squad to take place.

"We are already some way down that road, because a lot of the boys who will be here at the start of next season finished the last one with me. I'm able to encourage them in the summer and they are going to respond, because I've not had to pick a team and I'm still popular with them!"

Captain Andy Butler has rejected the offer of a new Walsall deal and is free to discuss his future with other clubs. The 30-year-old centre-back has skippered the Saddlers for much of his time with the League One side.

Read more at http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Bristol-City-bide-time-signings-says-boss/story-21132148-detail/story.html#0S3YblT0FDZVvDyQ.99

wow, I wasn't expecting that, its not like we are told exactly the same thing every bloody season, then play catch up as the team play get to know you for 2 months!

Archived