IGNORED

28 Years Ago Today

RedM

28 years a go today was the day I got married. Was a disaster as gave wife a two week window when we could get married as football season was ending and World Cup started in June, so day was booked well over a year in advance. Went to hereford for 1st leg and lost 2-0 and didn't know whether to laugh or cry when Neville put us 3-0 up on the night and through toWembley for the first time.

Tried to move date as thought it was a one off and old man said he was off to Wembley as wouldn't happen again in his life time (Mansfield a year later on 1st anniversary as game on a Sunday). Some of mates went to Wembley and honestly couldn't blame them and ended up with radio on at reception and someone giving score up dates. The evening do was made up of people returning pissed up and buzzing from the only time we've won at Wembley.

Moral of story is I'm still married but when organising things always look a couple of years ahead cus only City could ruin the big day as caused no end of arguments. Still made up they won

Was the freight rover the equivalent of the JPT? What, dare i ask, is the big deal?

Do you now our history?  if you do, then you don't have to ask, if you don't look up the year 1982 in our history.  Yest it is the same cup.  And it ws a huge moment in our history at  that point, and to some extent, still is, at the end of the day wewon a cup, what else have we won in your lifetime?  The same cup.  Even our promotions we haven't won the league since the 50's

the Game is about winning things, so winning that cup, no matter how small it is in comparison to the FA or League cup, is bloody huge for a club with our limited winning things history.

Was the freight rover the equivalent of the JPT? What, dare i ask, is the big deal?

Seeing City play at Wembley was just a pipe dream for all City fans and then it happened.

We had gone through the worst possible run in the previous 5 years, going from 1st to 4th Divisions,the club nearly folding and crowds going from 30+ down to 4 thousand.

Are you a gas head or some who can't read and find out about the history of our club or football .

The Freight Rover started in 1985 so this was only the 2nd year of the trophy. The only chance you got to play at Wembley was if you played for England or got to final of FA cup or Leauge Cup,

Wembley was a sacred place and not many players got the chance to play their .

Bristol City had never played their so when we got to the final over 30,000 City fans made the pilgrimage to the twin towers. It was a magical day and a very emotional day for every connected woth City. Terry Copper who was if you don't know was our manager , he was an ex England international who have played in World Cups and have won Leauge titles and FA cups , he was in tears that day and claimed it was the the biggest moment of his career . So yes it was a fu-cling big deal.

You now have every chance to find out about these days by using you tube and the internet you ignorance makes you look like a fool.

Still can't believe this post !

It's like saying England winning the World Cup in 1966 was a big deal.

Winning the Freight Rover that day was one of the clubs greatest days.

Still can't believe this post !

It's like saying England winning the World Cup in 1966 was a big deal.

Winning the Freight Rover that day was one of the clubs greatest days.

I hope he didn't mean it like it came across.  Or maybe he is just another of the premiership Generation who thinks the FA cup is crap as well.

I hope he didn't mean it like it came across. Or maybe he is just another of the Premier League Generation who thinks the FA cup is crap as well.

When I was growing up loving football and Bristol City . I read lots of football books about the history of the club and football in general , may be I was lucking I had Granparents who told stories about the old football days. I was like many of my mates inquisitive about the game, now the inquisitive nature of young people seems not to exists anymore.

I was living in New Zealand,I couldn't afford to fly home.

I was distraught to not be there :( my Dad ( rip ) phoned me at 5 am and put Radio Bristol on the phone just as Bobby H lifted the cup :)

I was living in Oz

Cried like a baby when City walked out at Wembley for the first time ever. My grandfather had been to the Man United Cup Final at Crystal Palace and had always said that we would never see City play at Wembley.

An awesome day

did you interfere with hedgehogs in those days as well?

Or did this strange perversion start later in life?

;)

I would refer the Honourable Member to Nanny Ogg's little ditty "The Hedgehog Cannot be Buggered at all"...

You

Have

No

Idea!

It was the end of the salvation of City - we made a bundle from that cup run and the following year's, and it was probably the Bolton game that 'made' that competition, which was a bit of a damp squib before

Plus for those of us who went, it was a day we'll never forget.

Mind you, old Wembley was a dump.

Archived