IGNORED

Scotland In Qatar

If you think the dress code is strict, how the hell are they going to cope with the footie songs and gestures...

"Whoever makes gestures, dares to say or sing immoral things or perform obscene acts in a public place or an open space shall be punished with imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months and/or a fine not exceeding three thousand Qatari Riyals (QR 3.000)."

Jesus just imagine if they manage to qualify, all wearing skirts and getting lashed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/qatar-launches-campaign-for-modest-dress-code-for-tourists-9438452.html

Mmmmm....flip those comments and pretend it's in Great Britain, and a member of a public body comes out suggesting that "all Muslims should respect the British culture and values."  "We do not want our kids to be exposed to this and to learn from this."

I think there'd be outrage.

Mmmmm....flip those comments and pretend it's in Great Britain, and a member of a public body comes out suggesting that "all Muslims should respect the British culture and values." "We do not want our kids to be exposed to this and to learn from this."

Muslims are already respectful of our culture...

Mmmmm....flip those comments and pretend it's in Great Britain, and a member of a public body comes out suggesting that "all Muslims should respect the British culture and values."  "We do not want our kids to be exposed to this and to learn from this."

Nail on head.

The Burkha and Niqab are a threat to security.

Cameron claimed that, in his opinion, banning them would be "un-british"

:facepalm:

how exactly are the burkha and niqab a threat to society?

and to flip this whole point, we are forever saying that those who come to our country should respect our values, so why shouldn't we practise what we preach. Surely anyone who isnt a hypocrit would be more than happy to dress in a culturally appropriate way whilst in a foreign country?

and to flip this whole point, we are forever saying that those who come to our country should respect our values, so why shouldn't we practise what we preach. Surely anyone who isnt a hypocrit would be more than happy to dress in a culturally appropriate way whilst in a foreign country?

It's a threat to society as you can't see who is under there - security breach? Like that Somalian suspect who was under surveillance & managed to escape by going in to a mosque & came back out wearing a burka - know one could see it was him. No difference to wearing a balaclava IMO.

The main question being asked here is why is this competition being held in a country with such strict laws.

I know a lot of city fans follow England abroad but is anyone planning on going to Qatar?

That was an isolated incident and incidents of that nature are very rare. Do you believe that Brits have more right to wear shorts and vests in Qatar than Muslims have to wear burkhas' in the UK? And have you ever witnessed any crime or suspicious behavior that was only possible to achieve because of religious headwear?

I agree the competition shouldn't be held there for obvious reasons but that doesn't give anyone the right to ignore customs and laws of the country they are in unless special sanctions are made by their government. 

Security, not Society, as pointed out by StuBS35.

Right they are saying skirts and shorts etc cant be worn because they don't want their people being exposed to it in case they follow. If for instance I said I don't want want foreign nationals in this country wearing burkas etc then I would likely get a lot of shit for making that statement. Imagine if someone with a position of power said that, they would lose tgeir job however we are expected to go to qatar and respect their rules because that is their culture and that is that. Not being funny but in English culture we don't wear Burkas etc and never have. This country has gone soft.

That was an isolated incident and incidents of that nature are very rare. Do you believe that Brits have more right to wear shorts and vests in Qatar than Muslims have to wear burkhas' in the UK? And have you ever witnessed any crime or suspicious behavior that was only possible to achieve because of religious headwear?

I agree the competition shouldn't be held there for obvious reasons but that doesn't give anyone the right to ignore customs and laws of the country they are in unless special sanctions are made by their government. 

The world cup is supposed to be a celebration and a show of diversity of cultures, like Africans in their national dress and Brazils samba girls and if Qatar cannot submit to that for 1 month (within obvious boundaries of common decency) **** em, FIFA gave the world cup to a cup country with appalling human rights abuse history and now even have to change the rest of the worlds football season that year to accommodate this fiasco.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_world_/2014/05/14/qatar_world_cup_migrant_worker_abuses_fifa_needs_to_do_something_about_the.html

Went to Doha a few years ago for the England- Brazil  friendly,

The place is rubbish,wore shorts no problems there,

Drink only allowed in international hotels.

The stadium was outside the city with no buses,had to get a taxi.

Nothing to do there,its going to be a complete nightmare when you have football fans from all over the world going to 1 very small country.

Not sure anyone will be going to Qatar if you believe tomorrow's Sunday Times. They have obtained the "smoking gun" documents linking the Qatari's to payments of Fifa executive members ahead of the 2022 vote.

I'm now actually beginning to think the process might have to be rerun.

Well done the ST!

Not sure anyone will be going to Qatar if you believe tomorrow's Sunday Times. They have obtained the "smoking gun" documents linking the Qatari's to payments of Fifa executive members ahead of the 2022 vote.

I'm now actually beginning to think the process might have to be rerun.

Well done the ST!

That's good news. I wonder whether the lesser vested interests (UEFA etc) have the balls to resign FIFA membership, and install an alternative transparent democratic governing organisation (I doubt it myself).

That's good news. I wonder whether the lesser vested interests (UEFA etc) have the balls to resign FIFA membership, and install an alternative transparent democratic governing organisation (I doubt it myself).

Even the sports minister is now suggesting the bid is rerun.

For those who have Times subscriprtions, the story's here:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/fifa/article1417325.ece

Archived