IGNORED

Rueben Reid - Signs For Plymouth

Hi, an Argyle fan here.

Reid scored 21 goals in all competitions for us last season (the first player to do this since the 90's). He was joint 2nd highest goal scorer in League 2 last season.

He has been a large improvement from last season. At the start of the season there was a log of critisim for him but now about 95% of us want him to sign.

His fitness has improved this season. He isn't a target man and plays best with a striker partner. He is a big physical player.

Well, even if we don't lose either of our forwards in Baldock and JET this summer (and presuming Burns is a winger more than forward), then we'll need more bodies for that position, so a free transfer who should be heading into the prime of his career, is locally based and scored a decent amount last season (albeit at a lower level) seems a decent shout.

At the end of the day, regardless of our intentions next year, we need to be realistic; we aren't a massive draw in our current state and after the last couple of seasons, and bringing in someone like Reid is a low risk gamble, the likes of which make more sense than paying top money for folks who may not have anymore impact.

I'd not be upset if he signed up, certainly if it was to compliment rather than replace our current options.

Work with an Argyle fan, he said Reid (who won player of the year) has been excellent, he got 21 goals (6 penalties) and hasn't featured at Yeovil following a fall out with GJ (sound familiar?). Also said he has got much stronger in the last year and reminds him of Barry Hayles.

Can't believe the negativity on this thread or the ridiculous comment that he's more likely to be a Roverrzz target.

Good, logical move if true.

My impression is he's capable of playing at a higher level, but found himself in L2 for a reason.

Plenty of other players alike, though SC (or any L1 and above manager) needs to ensure he's got the right attitude.

Why did we get rid of Ryan Harley? Attitude!

My impression is he's capable of playing at a higher level, but found himself in L2 for a reason.

Plenty of other players alike, though SC (or any L1 and above manager) needs to ensure he's got the right attitude.

Why did we get rid of Ryan Harley? Attitude!

where Ryan Harley now? did really well for exeter but you don't hear much about him now

Is at Swindon.

It seems he's gone the full circle and (I think) been at clubs from the prem down to conference south. If so, not many players have shuffled about the leagues so much!

But he still is a big time charley and could have sustained a better career with a better approach. Captain hindsight strikes again.

Well, even if we don't lose either of our forwards in Baldock and JET this summer (and presuming Burns is a winger more than forward), then we'll need more bodies for that position, so a free transfer who should be heading into the prime of his career, is locally based and scored a decent amount last season (albeit at a lower level) seems a decent shout.

At the end of the day, regardless of our intentions next year, we need to be realistic; we aren't a massive draw in our current state and after the last couple of seasons, and bringing in someone like Reid is a low risk gamble, the likes of which make more sense than paying top money for folks who may not have anymore impact.

I'd not be upset if he signed up, certainly if it was to compliment rather than replace our current options.

Well said. Since I've been watching the city we don't do well on the whole with 'big name' signings, its the ones we pick up for free or obscurity that seem to make a positive impact. Just look at the team that got promoted, we had hard working good lower league players, who almost got to the prem the following season!

Hi, an Argyle fan here.

Reid scored 21 goals in all competitions for us last season (the first player to do this since the 90's). He was joint 2nd highest goal scorer in League 2 last season.

He has been a large improvement from last season. At the start of the season there was a log of critisim for him but now about 95% of us want him to sign.

His fitness has improved this season. He isn't a target man and plays best with a striker partner. He is a big physical player.

Genuine question here, do Argyle fans generally think that we are rivals? 

Genuine question here, do Argyle fans generally think that we are rivals? 

No, we really don't. It's just a bit more important than say Carlisle because of the location but rivals? No, IMO we have one rival and that is Exeter.

As for Reid, he's really been terrific, I'd say our second best player behind Hourihane but been in great form all season, especially over the second half. He's formed a great partnership with Alessandra who's a hard working but actually quite good teammate who plays alongside him. Without him, I doubt Reid would have scored so many to be honest.

However, he's technically very good and has a lot more finesse than you expect for a man of his size. A very good League 2 player and probably a decent/alright League 1 player.

If you're looking at winning the title though (have I got that right? (odds and stuff)) then I can't see him being much more than a 3rd or 4th choice striker for you.

Could be a good player for bench/prove himself considering would get him on a free and like other have Said about enoch/jevons .

No point buying a striker who is as good as our currtnt strikers and if baldock nd jet stay I doubt they would sign . When we need to spend more on other parts of the squad .

He has been with a lot of clubs, so what is wrong with him ?????

I'm sure I've read/heard at some point that it's his attitude that has held him back. Fairly sure he fell out with Gary Johnson( where have I heard that before!) and that was why he was shipped out by yeovil. Doing fairly well for them before that though I think. Potentially a good striker at this level I believe. Personally, with regards free available strikers, I would go for Ismael Miller( another striker who fell out with GJ!). Did well at Yeovil last season and if Yeovil was an option that he took last season, surely city would be attractive to him this season?

Archived