IGNORED

World Cup "staging" Rerun Ashton Vale Reprise ?

Major Isewater

Nope, because England bid for the 2018 tournament (which went to Russia), not 2022

Australia, Japarea and the USA would probably rebid for 2022 if allowed

They would have to redo both tournament bids by sounds of it as some lobbied for both.

It's been said that as the voting process happened at the same time as the Qatar would cup bid that the 2018 may need to be re considered to. I'd like to think this could happen but I suppose we'll have to wait and see

They would have to redo both tournament bids by sounds of it as some lobbied for both.

Hi Tomarse (We have met previously on Cricinfo!).

Indeed, it is my understanding that if 2022 needs a re-run, then so will 2018 - as both bids were made at the same time.

I cannot imagine that Putin would accept that (and he is almost as powerful as Blatter) so we shall have to wait and see how they fudge this one.

It's been said that as the voting process happened at the same time as the Qatar would cup bid that the 2018 may need to be re considered to. I'd like to think this could happen but I suppose we'll have to wait and see

If thats true thats not a great decision in my opinion. Russia will be a really interesting destination for a World Cup. Not sure why they should have to potentially pay the price for Qatars dodginess.

If thats true thats not a great decision in my opinion. Russia will be a really interesting destination for a World Cup. Not sure why they should have to potentially pay the price for Qatars dodginess.

Russia will be a really interesting destination for a World Cup.

Sure, and where exactly will Russia be in 2018, i.e. Crimea (obviously!), a bit of Ukraine and....

Hi Tomarse (We have met previously on Cricinfo!).

Indeed, it is my understanding that if 2022 needs a re-run, then so will 2018 - as both bids were made at the same time.

I cannot imagine that Putin would accept that (and he is almost as powerful as Blatter) so we shall have to wait and see how they fudge this one.

Surely they'll just have an agreement that Russia will run uncontested for 2018? While I wouldn't be surprised if news arose to the contrary, at this stage Russia did nothing wrong. I'm sure FIFA have their lawyers looking at whether they can get out of having Qatar host in 2022, but I suspect that the risk of getting royally screwed for costs will be too great and some significant carpet sweeping will be done

Why re-run the 2018 world cup bidding?

The alleged 'shady dealings' are around the 2022 Qatar bid, Russia hasn't been accused of anything dodgy (yet/for a change/not saying it's all above board). they were a better bid to host the 2018 world cup than the other bids so why would that change?

Russia is also classed as in Europe so if it did host 2018, we couldn't bid for 2022

Unless the delegation voted for the 2022 finals host before the 2018 ones, there should not be a problem

I think the way the voting took place implicates the russia bid too.

That was why it has been said that they will not double bid vote again - because there is too much risk of collusion.

It would surely be naive to think otherwise.

Heard on the radio yesterday, that Australia, has been put on stand by.

If it was to be voted on again, one would have to assume that Qatar will not be one of the host countries.  The process would be totally flawed if that were the case.  You could have a situation where 1) corruption could happen again 2) delegates that voted for Qatar in the first place would have to change their vote.  Questions could then be leveled as to why they voted for Qatar in the first place.

Complicated stuff.  Whatever the outcome, Blatters position within FIFA is surely untenable. 

Stevo

Heard on the radio yesterday, that Australia, has been put on stand by.

If it was to be voted on again, one would have to assume that Qatar will not be one of the host countries.  The process would be totally flawed if that were the case.  You could have a situation where 1) corruption could happen again 2) delegates that voted for Qatar in the first place would have to change their vote.  Questions could then be leveled as to why they voted for Qatar in the first place.

Complicated stuff.  Whatever the outcome, Blatters position within FIFA is surely untenable. 

Stevo

Blatters position within FIFA is surely untenable. 

Blatter is FIFA - he will go when and if he decides to go.

Blatters position within FIFA is surely untenable. 

Blatter is FIFA - he will go when and if he decides to go.

Read this earlier:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/02/fifa-ethics-head-michael-garcia-will-not-look-at-qatar-corruption-evidence

This bit made me laugh:  

"Meanwhile, Michel Platini, the president of the European football federation, Uefa, is discussing the possibility of leading a sit-down protest when Blatter announces his intention to stand again as Fifa's president in Brazil next week.

Platini, who is increasingly considered unlikely to challenge Blatter for the top job, may ask the heads of the 54 European FAs to remain seated when the majority of the other 155 Fifa members rise to acclaim the announcement as a means of registering disapproval at Blatter's decision to stand for a fifth term despite earlier promising to stand down."

As a method of civil protest it is not quite May 1968 in France, Solidarity springing up in the Gdansk shipyards, standing up to tanks in Tianamen Square, but I am sure it will work just as well.

Archived