IGNORED

Home Pre Season Game

Rocky

The football league season starts on 9th August this year due to the World cup and the prem the weekend after so every chance this could be a friendly fixture

knew there would be a reason,

can't say I'm too bothered who we play really,

Not to bothered who we play but it would be nice to have a pre season friendly again like Rangers last year. Just under 9K for a friendly made for a great atmosphere.

the only atmosphere created was by the Rangers supporters , we were so quiet it was shocking

I just can't stand the economic/political/social background of dundee united fans...

...whatever that may be.

:bones:

Dundee United were originally called Dundee Hibernian and were set up for the Irish Catholics in Dundee., the same way Hibernian were set up for the Catholics in Edinburgh and Celtic for the Catholics in Glasgow. United originally played in white and green and flew the Irish tricolour etc. Until the 1960s Dundee were by far the biggest and most successful club in the City, but an effort to make United more 'acceptable' to all e.g. Changing to an orange kit, banning Irish flags etc paid off and in the last 50 years Dundee United have been top dogs in the City and have even reached a European final.

You still see Union flags at Dundee matches but United rarely show their 'Irish origins' in the way Celtic and to a lesser extent Hibernian do.

Final point, United have a decent team and some very promising youngsters and will give us a very stern test on the 2nd for certain.

Dundee United were originally called Dundee Hibernian and were set up for the Irish Catholics in Dundee., the same way Hibernian were set up for the Catholics in Edinburgh and Celtic for the Catholics in Glasgow. United originally played in white and green and flew the Irish tricolour etc. Until the 1960s Dundee were by far the biggest and most successful club in the City, but an effort to make United more 'acceptable' to all e.g. Changing to an orange kit, banning Irish flags etc paid off and in the last 50 years Dundee United have been top dogs in the City and have even reached a European final.

You still see Union flags at Dundee matches but United rarely show their 'Irish origins' in the way Celtic and to a lesser extent Hibernian do.

Final point, United have a decent team and some very promising youngsters and will give us a very stern test on the 2nd for certain.

Almost correct sglosbcfc. Dundee Hibs decided in 1923 to drop all association with the Irish and Catholics due to political and sectarian social unrest in the city at that time. The club chose to change the name to Dundee United and colours to white and black to back their non sectarian policy which still stands to this day. Unlike Celtic. We did change colours again in 1969 when making a pre season tour to Dallas and playing in the colours of Dallas Tornados of Tangerine and Blue. When we arrived home the decision was made to keep the Tangerine and have black trim. The rest is history.

We do ATM have a fair team of very talented youngsters and I'm sure your own team will also give us a good test of seeing  exactly how our players are shaping up.

Almost correct sglosbcfc. Dundee Hibs decided in 1923 to drop all association with the Irish and Catholics due to political and sectarian social unrest in the city at that time. The club chose to change the name to Dundee United and colours to white and black to back their non sectarian policy which still stands to this day. Unlike Celtic. We did change colours again in 1969 when making a pre season tour to Dallas and playing in the colours of Dallas Tornados of Tangerine and Blue. When we arrived home the decision was made to keep the Tangerine and have black trim. The rest is history.

We do ATM have a fair team of very talented youngsters and I'm sure your own team will also give us a good test of seeing  exactly how our players are shaping up.

I have seen a fair amount of United on the box, your weakness is in defence in my opinion and to get any closer to Celtic that will need to be addressed. Going forward United are as good as anyone in Scotland. Mackay Steven is a cracking winger, Ryan Gauld a tricky little midfield operator and Cifci looks a more than decent striker. I think it makes for a interesting pre season contest.

How many United fans do you think might attend? Will celebrity fan Lorraine Kelly make an appearance?

I have seen a fair amount of United on the box, your weakness is in defence in my opinion and to get any closer to Celtic that will need to be addressed. Going forward United are as good as anyone in Scotland. Mackay Steven is a cracking winger, Ryan Gauld a tricky little midfield operator and Cifci looks a more than decent striker. I think it makes for a interesting pre season contest.

How many United fans do you think might attend? Will celebrity fan Lorraine Kelly make an appearance?

No sure about Lorraine being there but we played Wigan last year and took down 900 for the game. What with Bristol being further away our traveling support might not be so big but who knows.

2igoaxu.jpg

Ryan Gauld looks a class act," the Scottish Messi" runs like Messi and has a wand of a left foot. Still very young but looks to have a bright future.

No sure about Lorraine being there but we played Wigan last year and took down 900 for the game. What with Bristol being further away our traveling support might not be so big but who knows.

2igoaxu.jpg

If 900 want to visit a s***hole like Wigan, I am sure at least that number would like to visit the glorious sights of Bristol - the biggest City in Britian to have only one league football club.

Archived