IGNORED

Why Bristol Is Surely The Unluckiest Sports City In England

EstoniaTallinnRed

I'm from Yorkshire originally but have lived here for about 40 years. I now consider myself to have dual nationality - Somerset and Yorkshire. The answer is easy really: Bristol and it's surrounds are a fantastic place to live, with lots to do and less poverty than most places. Bristol always rates highly on any list of good places to live and this survey is just the latest in a long line: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bristol-named-britains-best-city-to-live-in-9210931.html. Most of the good football areas, and particularly those that develop players, seem to be the poor, old fashioned industrial areas that offer little in the way of options or opportunity for people. My tip for happiness is to enjoy the many things that Bristol has to offer and put up with the football.

I'm from Yorkshire originally but have lived here for about 40 years. I now consider myself to have dual nationality - Somerset and Yorkshire. The answer is easy really: Bristol and it's surrounds are a fantastic place to live, with lots to do and less poverty than most places. Bristol always rates highly on any list of good places to live and this survey is just the latest in a long line: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/bristol-named-britains-best-city-to-live-in-9210931.html. Most of the good football areas, and particularly those that develop players, seem to be the poor, old fashioned industrial areas that offer little in the way of options or opportunity for people. My tip for happiness is to enjoy the many things that Bristol has to offer and put up with the football.

There's a lot in that.

There's certainly  an inverse correlation between football prowess and "liveability" All the more desirable places to reside in the U.K.are lacking in top-flight football teams within easy reach: the West Country, Mid and North Wales, the Cotswolds and East Anglia . Who would want to live in Manchester or Liverpool ?

So even the demise of the rovers as a league side is a compliment to the City and County of Bristol !

Personally I would not call Bristol unlucky. It is a great City, but in sporting terms held back by a general inertia, and very self-centred opposition to any attempts to improve facilities. Same here in Bath with the egg-chasers ground, handful of selfish tossers who can't see the benefits for the City of Bath as a whole.

I wouldnt have said it was Bristol, but the South West as a whole has poor Sporting talent! Other than Bath Rugby and Somerset Cricket there is no real successful Sports Team around its a backwater for Sport and the area has probably the most glory hunters in the Country or whenever a local team does well all their tops are about!

I wouldnt have said it was Bristol, but the South West as a whole has poor Sporting talent! Other than Bath Rugby and Somerset Cricket there is no real successful Sports Team around its a backwater for Sport and the area has probably the most glory hunters in the Country or whenever a local team does well all their tops are about!

Gloucestershire have won a similar amount of trophies as Zumerzet.... hardly constitutes a successful sports team.

Bristol and its environs are infested with Greens, NIMBYs and BANANAs, all of whom hate team sports :(

Go on then, let us know what evidence there is to support this interesting viewpoint.

(Thought not).

Personally think Bristol's lack of sporting success is due to the presence of fictitious hedgehogs...

Go on then, let us know what evidence there is to support this interesting viewpoint.

(Thought not).

Personally think Bristol's lack of sporting success is due to the presence of fictitious hedgehogs...

Evidence? Other than the fact that all three of Bristol's professional sports clubs have had development blocked by said minority groups, that would be?

Evidence? Other than the fact that all three of Bristol's professional sports clubs have had development blocked by said minority groups, that would be?

That's only very recent though - it doesn't explain the previous 100 years. I would say that all three professional sports clubs (do Rovers still count, BTW?) have been unbelievably badly managed.

Archived