IGNORED

Caulker

yardy

After watching Caulker for a season while on loan to us it seemed very likely he would go on to be a England regular, he had everything a young centre back needed and i am shocked and gutted he isn't in our 2014 world cup squad.

So what happened to him?

Was it the Cardiff move that ruined him and the relegation struggle that harmed his confidence?

Is it just that the majority of us here over rated him and he really isn't good enough to be a England regular?

It seems madness to me that we are going into a World cup with a very average defence to say the least, and with the right training/coaching Caulker should have had enough skills and experience to be part of our squad.

And I should point out that I am not advocating Terry's return to the national team - after all, he chose to retire and I'm not sure his return would necessarily make the dressing room a more harmonious place. A shame really, as he has probably been the best English defender over the last couple of seasons.

And I should point out that I am not advocating Terry's return to the national team - after all, he chose to retire and I'm not sure his return would necessarily make the dressing room a more harmonious place. A shame really, as he has probably been the best English defender over the last couple of seasons.

Surely Caulker and Cahill wouldn't be a bad partnership either? 

... he has probably been the best English defender over the last couple of seasons.

I like the squad we've got out in Brazil which is already a massive improvement compared to the last decade or so. I expect them not to win the cup but at least to give a good account of themselves and reflect well on us.

For me, Terry only seems to perform well in Chelsea teams where Mourinho parks the bus in front of him to cover his lack of pace. In England line-ups which have tried to play more expansively he has been shown up, e.g. in South Africa and Euro 2012 ... the media pundits never seem to mention that for some reason.

Similarly, the replacement of Cole by Baines is long overdue IMHO because he always seemed to be playing within himself, not "affecting the game" as much he should for fear looking uncool.

I like the squad we've got out in Brazil which is already a massive improvement compared to the last decade or so. I expect them not to win the cup but at least to give a good account of themselves and reflect well on us.

For me, Terry only seems to perform well in Chelsea teams where Mourinho parks the bus in front of him to cover his lack of pace. In England line-ups which have tried to play more expansively he has been shown up, e.g. in South Africa and Euro 2012 ... the media pundits never seem to mention that for some reason.

Similarly, the replacement of Cole by Baines is long overdue IMHO because he always seemed to be playing within himself, not "affecting the game" as much he should for fear looking uncool.

That's a little harsh. Terry is still very good at organising the defence when the opposition have set pieces - something Cahill and Jagielka aren't anywhere near as good at.

And at Euro 2012 we had 2 clean sheets from 4 games. Although I do agree Terry looked a little exposed in the Sweden game - I remember seeing him outpaced by Ibrahimovic a couple of times - Ibrahimovic may be a great player but searing pace isn't one of his fortes!

As for Cole vs Baines, Baines certainly offers more going forward (the 2nd and 3rd goals v Peru both came from excellent set piece deliveries) but for me Cole has always been the better defender. Apart from the 5-1 v Kazakhstan a few years ago, when did Cole ever let us down on the pitch?

Usual problem of not playing for a "fashionable" team.

rubbish,

Lallana, Lambert, Shaw, Foster all playing for non fashionable teams when the squad was picked, Welbeck and Wilshire aside this is actually an england squad picked more on merit then who the player plays for,

Caulker needs to establish himself at a decent prem club before he could be considered for England imo' he's got time on his side,

Take Cahill he never really got going until he left bolton,

if Caulks can get a top 10 club and be an ever present then he will turn a few heads at the england set up, a team like West Ham or Southampton would be a good move for him,

Caulker needs to establish himself at a decent prem club before he could be considered for England imo' he's got time on his side,

Take Cahill he never really got going until he left bolton,

if Caulks can get a top 10 club and be an ever present then he will turn a few heads at the england set up, a team like West Ham or Southampton would be a good move for him,

Southampton also rumoured to want him as Lovren is likely to leave

Southampton also rumoured to want him as Lovren is likely to leave

Southampton would be a massive risk for Caulker at this stage of his career.  They are in danger of imploding with Pochettino and Lambert gone, Lallana, Shaw, Lovren going.  They are by no means certain of repeating this seasons achievements, that's for sure.  To take part in two successive relegation battles could really set him back.

Southampton would be a massive risk for Caulker at this stage of his career.  They are in danger of imploding with Pochettino and Lambert gone, Lallana, Shaw, Lovren going.  They are by no means certain of repeating this seasons achievements, that's for sure.  To take part in two successive relegation battles could really set him back.

it wouldn't be a risk, southampton have still got some fantastic players Caulker would be a replacement for Lovren,

They still have clyne who can play ether full back postion, the have ward-prowse Callum Chambers,  ready to step in plus about 50 million in transfer income heading their way,

Much will depend on the new manager but they could bring in a shrewd transfer market man who can find decent replacements,

If he was that good why did Spurs sell him ?

I've heard a rumour or 2 from a Spurs season ticket holder that Caulker had a thing going with Levy's daughter.

I am not saying i believe this but it was a strange decision to sell him

I've heard a rumour or 2 from a Spurs season ticket holder that Caulker had a thing going with Levy's daughter.

Well when he came here he was with a Yeovil girl, who was having his kid, source my ex works with his mum and dad, bit of a player by all accounts

Was a terrible move to Cardiff, it was clear they'd be lucky to last more than a season. He obviously felt his chances would be limited under AVB and thought regular game time would be a help.

I'd still rather see him at the World Cup than Smalling frankly.

Hmmm. Maybe it was just a case of Spurs thinking 8M was too good to turn down ?

Archived