IGNORED

We Are Bristol

Murraysrightplum

Feels good to be the only team in Bristol.

Let's embrace being simply 'Bristol' the same as Coventry, Cardiff, Newcastle, Blackburn, Birmingham etc etc etc do....

Come on Bristol!!!!

(Feels like I'm at the rugby!)

The difference with those other teams is that they don't have a rival in the same City that also uses the name of the city in their title, so it's not an appropriate analogy.

Think Manchester United/City, Sheffield United/Wednesday etc.

Neither of those would get referred to as Sheffield, regardless of what league the other plays in.

We will and should always be known by our proper name, not by the City name.

The difference with those other teams is that they don't have a rival in the same City that also uses the name of the city in their title, so it's not an appropriate analogy.

Neither of those would get referred to as Sheffield, regardless of what league the other plays in.

Nor do we!

Nor do we!

You know what I mean. There is more than one professional football club using "Bristol" in their title, which is not the case in Birmingham, Newcastle etc etc.

I actually object to being called Bristol. It's just laziness. You never hear Man C or Man U called "Manchester", or Sheff U or Weds called "Sheffield".

You know what I mean. There is more than one professional football club using "Bristol" in their title, which is not the case in Birmingham, Newcastle etc etc.

I actually object to being called Bristol. It's just laziness. You never hear Man C or Man U called "Manchester", or Sheff U or Weds called "Sheffield".

The only way they will remain a professional club is if people keep giving them the respect they don't deserve.

I used to object to being called Bristol, now I quite like it.

The other teams you refer to are in true two-team cities, we no longer are.

Bradford Park Avenue and Oxford City don't stop the league teams from those cities being referred to to as Oxford and Bradford, yet both non-league sides are closer in the pyramid to rovers than we are. I honestly feel that any references to Bristol when talking about football these days are automatically taken to mean us by the vast majority of people in the country.

Oxford then? Or (ironically enough) Cambridge? Or Swindon?

Because there's two of them. There's only one team in Bristol.

I remember the old East End chant from back in the 70's

BARRRRISSSSSSTOLLLLLLLLLL !!!!!!!!!!  :chant6ez:

Exactly. this is nothing new. "Bristol" was our terrace/TV name in the 60's/70's, it was only in the mid/late 80's when Rovers had their little patch of success over us did the "City" v "Rovers" mantra happen.

I agree with whoever said it's lazy, hate it. Bristol is the rugby club, nothing to do with us

Always wonder what Newcastle (for example) fans think when they play Man Utd and the commentators refer to ''United' we know they are talking about Manchester, and not Newcastle. Again, lazy

I'd rather not have the chance to be confused with a non league team

I agree with whoever said it's lazy, hate it. Bristol is the rugby club, nothing to do with us

Always wonder what Newcastle (for example) fans think when they play Man Utd and the commentators refer to ''United' we know they are talking about Manchester, and not Newcastle. Again, lazy

I'd rather not have the chance to be confused with a non league team

Surely that is a good reason to call them Manchester then?

If we are called "City' that is just as lazy (half the name) so you can't have it both ways, as the actress said to the Bishop...

If you look at the forums of teams rovers are playing, they refer to them as simply "Bristol" too.

The name annoys me, it just comes across like we arent well known or respected by other clubs and that they know nothing about us. Id rather be referred to as pikeys, wurzels or farmers than Bristol! At least then it means they care or might know who we are!!

Archived