IGNORED

Football Manager 2014 - World Cup Edition

BRISTOL86

I know there's a lot of FM2014 players on here - just a heads up that you can actually download a saved game that puts you in charge of any national team at the start of the world cup.

http://sortitoutsi.net/world-cup-2014

If you use it in conjunction with the kits and logos updates available on the site, it makes for a very realistic experience!

Being a sucker for punishment, I've gone with England. More fool me.

You get a few days beforehand to drop players and call up players of your choice, so now's your chance to put your money where your mouth is and see how your England team gets on! Share your progress here, whichever team you choose!

Being a coward, I haven't made too many changes to the squad, though I did consider giving Baldock a chance!

Luckily the real life injuries weren't in there, so I called up Andros Townsend, Caulker and Cole were already in the squad.

England progress:

England 3 - 3 Italy

Should be pleased with that, but being 3-1 up at half time, we threw it away! Goals from Sturridge (2) and Rooney.

England 1 - 2 Uruguay

You can't make it up. True to form, Uruguay go 1-0 up, then get pegged back by a Rooney goal, only for Uruguay to snatch the victory late in the game. I then held a team meeting where I explained that their overpaid, underperforming arses were on the line, and they have the cheek to tell me I expect too much.

With Italy beating Costa Rica 4-1, my only hope for qualification is for Uruguay to beat Italy in the final game, and to put a hatful past Costa Rica.

England 2 - 2 Costa Rica

Well, that just sums up my brief managerial spell at the World Cup! Even if I'd have beaten Costa Rica, Italy's draw with Uruguay would have sent England out anyway!

Interesting results elsewhere:

- Spain dicked Holland 3-0 in their opening game (so clearly the update doesn't include the "Spain fall apart" patch)

- Uruguay destroyed Costa Rica 4-0, so it looks like England vs Uruguay is once again a key match

- Dzeko scores the only goal as Argentina lose their opener to Bosnia

- Germany lose 1-0 to Ronaldo Portugal

- Holland out after losing 2-1 to Australia

- Argentina out after a miserable 1-0 defeat at the hands of the mighty Iran

- Overhyped Belgium out after losing their opening two games

Thanks for posting this, played as England and selected the squad exactly how it was in real life.

Beat Italy 2-0

Lost to Uruguay 1-0

Beat Costa Rica 2-1 (Saborio scored for them haha)

Got through the group as runners up Uruguay top

Beat Ivory Coast 4-3 in rd of 16.

Knocked out and hammered 4-1 by Brazil in the quarters.

Phil Jagielka top scorer with 3(!!) but also scored 2 own goals!  :facepalm:

Brazil ran out eventual winners beating Uruguay 3-0 in the final

I started with a similar squad to what it suggested, however brought in Lallana, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott (as he was fit)

England 0 v 3 Italy 

Hart, Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Cole, Carrick, Wilshere, Walcott, Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge in a 4231.

For the second game I dropped Welbeck and brought in Lallana.

England 5 v 0 Uruguay 

Sturridge, Cahill, Walcott, Barkley and Welbeck with the goals.

England 2 v 0 Costa Rica

Unchanged side, Cahill with both goals.

So finished 2nd in the group behind Italy and will face Ivory Coast. Cahill is top scorer for me with 3 atm.

Notable other scores:

Ivory Coast 7 v 1 Japan

France 0 v 0 Honduras 

Belgium 1 v 2 Algeria 

Brazil 1 v 2 Mexico

Holland 1 v 1 Australia

Algeria 7 v 1 South Korea

Algeria 3 v 3 Russia

As you can see Algeria have been the surprise of the tournament so far however Honduras also qualified ahead of Switzerland.

EDIT

Round of 16

England 4 v 2 Ivory Coast

Unchanged again, Sturridge (2), Walcott and Wilshere with the goals.

However big upsets as Algeria beat Portugal on penalties and Bosnia knock out France after an own goal in extra time

Thanks for posting this, played as England and selected the squad exactly how it was in real life.

Beat Italy 2-0

Lost to Uruguay 1-0

Beat Costa Rica 2-1 (Saborio scored for them haha)

Got through the group as runners up Uruguay top

Beat Ivory Coast 4-3 in rd of 16.

Knocked out and hammered 4-1 by Brazil in the quarters.

Phil Jagielka top scorer with 3(!!) but also scored 2 own goals:facepalm:

Brazil ran out eventual winners beating Uruguay 3-0 in the final

Flint would be well jealous.

Quarter Final

England 4 v 3 Holland 

Went 2 up with the dutch then pulling one back and then alternated goals till the final scoreline. Rooney (2). Walcott and Baines with goals.

Semi Final

England 2 v 0 Germany

Sturridge with both the goals.

England 2 v 1 Spain AET

Wilshere and Rooney with the goals.

Overall scored 19 goals and conceded 9 with Sturridge top scoring with 5 goals.

Decided to have another crack at it and put JET in the squad for a laugh but he ended up being world class: 

Beat Italy 4-3 JET with 2 including a 90th minute winner

Beat Uruguay 3-2 Jagielka scoring twice

Beat Costa Rica 3-1 JET with a first half hat trick 

Beat Japan 5-0 JET on the scoresheet again

But once again knocked out in the quarter final 4-1 to Spain. Didn't help that half of the team needed a rest and that it wouldn't let me rest them between games!

Overall 16 goals scored 6 of them for JET and 10 conceded!

Well I have finally finished, and guided by a bit of luck, I managed to get to the World Cup Final.

I kept the same squad as in real life, just for the extra challenge.

Game 1 - Italy 1-2 England

Two early goals from Jagielka and Welbeck in the first 6 minutes sent me well on my way to a good first result. Little scare towards the end, as Jagielka got sent off in the 58th minute, and they scored in the 88th minute. I held out.

Game 2 - England 2-3 Uruguay

A close game, but I fell short. I went a goal down on 20 minutes, and was playing awful. I took a huge risk and made a triple substitution on 40 minutes, and Lambert (one of the substitutions) netted on the stroke of half time, to send me in level. In the second half, I came out, and normal service was resumed. I conceded in the first two minutes, a penalty. On 60 minutes, they struck again, Cavani this time, and I was down and out. Rooney popped up with a 90th minute goal, but it proved only to be a consolation. 

Game 3 - Costa Rica 0-1 England

A result exactly how I set out. I played for a scrappy win, as a point would of been enough to send me through. Rooney netted on 40 minutes, and I defended solidly for the rest of the game, and qualified runners up in the group, behind Uruguay. 

Round Of 16 - Colombia 1-2 England

Another smash and grab sort of win, with a solid defensive display, and clinical finishing. Rooney put me 1-0 to the good within 20 minutes, and I then conceded on the 82nd minute, which looked to send it to extra time. This was not the case, as Sturridge shot from range, took a deflection, and went in on 84 minutes. This got given as an OG, but none the less, i'll take it.

Quarter Final - Holland 1-1 England (P)

I have played over 400 hours of FM14, but never, have I had such a lucky win. Things were not looking so good, as on 28 minutes, I conceded a scrappy set-piece to the head of Johnny Heitinga. Things got worse, as on the brink of half time, Cahill stupidly picked up a 2nd yellow, and got himself sent off. After the restart, I came out all guns blazing, in search of the goal. Lampard pounced on the rebound of a deflected shot, and made it 1-1 on 53 minutes, this was something to defend. A few attacks came from Holland in the remainder of normal time, but no clear chances to note of, and to extra time we went.

In extra time, things got worse, as Phil Jones, much like Cahill, picked up a 2nd yellow, and I was down to 9 men, and playing with a back 2. Kuyt missed two sitters, and Huntelaar also missed the target on a one on one, and it was a relief to get to penalties. 

Penalties went to plan, as I dispatched every one, and saved the 5th, to send me through to the semi's, where I would meet France.

Semi Final - England 2-0 France

This was the game which I thought would be the end of this run. I had 8 key players out due to either suspension or injury, 6 of which had started the previous game. My lineup was as follows:

Hart

Shaw Smalling Jagielka Baines

Gerrard Henderson Milner

IBarkley Wilshere 

Welbeck

By far the weakest lineup I had fielded, and by far the most comfortable win of the tournament. Things got off to a good start, as Gerrard scored a beautiful free kick after 11 minutes, to send me on my way. On 55 minutes, I made a double swap, bringing Lallana and Sturridge into the game. In the 56th minute, Lallana won a stone wall penalty, and Sturridge dispatched cooly. The French only managed to register one shot in the whole game, it was a convincing win.

Final - Argentina (P) 1-1 England

In a game my team absolutely dominated, I could only manage to send them to penalties. Things got off to a poor start, as Messi scored a wonderful goal on 16 minutes. A quick hitback was to follow, as Jagielka scored from a set-piece, to even up the game. I had many chances, but the incapability to finish them off is what cost me the tournament. Down to penalties it went, and Barkley missed the 5th, leaving Di Maria to score to win the tournament. He did, and it settled it, and I was runners up.

My copy arrived today, already hooked. Any good young players I should look out for to bolster my City side?

RedSabbath - look at this website, it's invaluable:

www.sortitoutsi.net

Download the faces, logos and kits packs, makes so much difference to the game.

There are good forums there also with discussions on players, tactics etc.

Well I have finally finished, and guided by a bit of luck, I managed to get to the World Cup Final.

I kept the same squad as in real life, just for the extra challenge.

Game 1 - Italy 1-2 England

Two early goals from Jagielka and Welbeck in the first 6 minutes sent me well on my way to a good first result. Little scare towards the end, as Jagielka got sent off in the 58th minute, and they scored in the 88th minute. I held out.

Game 2 - England 2-3 Uruguay

A close game, but I fell short. I went a goal down on 20 minutes, and was playing awful. I took a huge risk and made a triple substitution on 40 minutes, and Lambert (one of the substitutions) netted on the stroke of half time, to send me in level. In the second half, I came out, and normal service was resumed. I conceded in the first two minutes, a penalty. On 60 minutes, they struck again, Cavani this time, and I was down and out. Rooney popped up with a 90th minute goal, but it proved only to be a consolation.

Game 3 - Costa Rica 0-1 England

A result exactly how I set out. I played for a scrappy win, as a point would of been enough to send me through. Rooney netted on 40 minutes, and I defended solidly for the rest of the game, and qualified runners up in the group, behind Uruguay.

Round Of 16 - Colombia 1-2 England

Another smash and grab sort of win, with a solid defensive display, and clinical finishing. Rooney put me 1-0 to the good within 20 minutes, and I then conceded on the 82nd minute, which looked to send it to extra time. This was not the case, as Sturridge shot from range, took a deflection, and went in on 84 minutes. This got given as an OG, but none the less, i'll take it.

Quarter Final - Holland 1-1 England (P)

I have played over 400 hours of FM14, but never, have I had such a lucky win. Things were not looking so good, as on 28 minutes, I conceded a scrappy set-piece to the head of Johnny Heitinga. Things got worse, as on the brink of half time, Cahill stupidly picked up a 2nd yellow, and got himself sent off. After the restart, I came out all guns blazing, in search of the goal. Lampard pounced on the rebound of a deflected shot, and made it 1-1 on 53 minutes, this was something to defend. A few attacks came from Holland in the remainder of normal time, but no clear chances to note of, and to extra time we went.

In extra time, things got worse, as Phil Jones, much like Cahill, picked up a 2nd yellow, and I was down to 9 men, and playing with a back 2. Kuyt missed two sitters, and Huntelaar also missed the target on a one on one, and it was a relief to get to penalties.

Penalties went to plan, as I dispatched every one, and saved the 5th, to send me through to the semi's, where I would meet France.

Semi Final - England 2-0 France

This was the game which I thought would be the end of this run. I had 8 key players out due to either suspension or injury, 6 of which had started the previous game. My lineup was as follows:

Hart

Shaw Smalling Jagielka Baines

Gerrard Henderson Milner

IBarkley Wilshere

Welbeck

By far the weakest lineup I had fielded, and by far the most comfortable win of the tournament. Things got off to a good start, as Gerrard scored a beautiful free kick after 11 minutes, to send me on my way. On 55 minutes, I made a double swap, bringing Lallana and Sturridge into the game. In the 56th minute, Lallana won a stone wall penalty, and Sturridge dispatched cooly. The French only managed to register one shot in the whole game, it was a convincing win.

Final - Argentina (P) 1-1 England

In a game my team absolutely dominated, I could only manage to send them to penalties. Things got off to a poor start, as Messi scored a wonderful goal on 16 minutes. A quick hitback was to follow, as Jagielka scored from a set-piece, to even up the game. I had many chances, but the incapability to finish them off is what cost me the tournament. Down to penalties it went, and Barkley missed the 5th, leaving Di Maria to score to win the tournament. He did, and it settled it, and I was runners up.

Good work fella

My copy arrived today, already hooked. Any good young players I should look out for to bolster my City side?

I've managed City twice, once getting back to back promotions (winning the league both times), and then taking the Liverpool job, and the other, I was half way through my second season in the championship, and I took the West Ham job.

There were a few standouts for me, Aaron Martin being one of them. I had him on loan for the first season, and then signed him for something like 300k, brilliant defender, and a good leader.

Another good one, is John Obika. I had him on loan until January, then signed the fella. He banged 20 odd goals in League One alongside Baldock, and he has huge potential.

Also, if you are looking for loanees, if you can get Lingard, he is very good in a number 10 role. Very creative

Currently got Baldock ahead of JET in a 4 4 1 1 formation, signed Shaquile Coulthirst, Christian Montano and Luke Gilverin, with Esteban Lopez in the pipeline. I will be looking to dump a few players now. I know he gets a lot of stick on here but El Abd is playing well for me just now

apostolos vellios on loan first season deployed him as a target man when balders got injured 29 goals in 32 games second season signed him permentally top scorer in championship went up again play offs!

I had him at Bolton in the championship, and he was scoring for fun. 

Signed him permanently in the Premier League, and he was ineffective. 

That was my favourite ever 01/ 02. Can you still get updates? Where from?

Championship Manager 01/02 forums. You can download the game free on mac or windows, then get updates, patches, extra leagues, etc all free. You might have to sign up to the forum though. Good community on there though so worth it.

Championship Manager 01/02 forums. You can download the game free on mac or windows, then get updates, patches, extra leagues, etc all free. You might have to sign up to the forum though. Good community on there though so worth it.

Prob still got the game somewhere so will give it a go. Cheers Grifty.

Downloaded it a while ago. Still as addictive now as it was 13 years ago! Had fun trying to remember all the stars to sign.

What I wanted to ask was if anyone has the mobile version on football manager 2014 and if so how good is it? Went to download it then changed my mind but is it worth doing?

Downloaded it a while ago. Still as addictive now as it was 13 years ago! Had fun trying to remember all the stars to sign.

What I wanted to ask was if anyone has the mobile version on football manager 2014 and if so how good is it? Went to download it then changed my mind but is it worth doing?

I just got it today, will post again if its any good. Has a lot of 5 star reviews in the android store, but also a fair number of complaints about lost data after the last update, including a guy who had over 14 seasons played then he updated and lost the lot.  :facepalm:

I just got it today, will post again if its any good. Has a lot of 5 star reviews in the android store, but also a fair number of complaints about lost data after the last update, including a guy who had over 14 seasons played then he updated and lost the lot. :facepalm:

Mentally scared for life!

I want a simple management game to just mess about on when im bored so if it fits the bill then please let me know, cheers.

Archived