IGNORED

Baldock New Contract?

Apologies if similar recent post, but Sam has only one year left on his contract I believe. Do we know if he as he yet to be offered a new contract? 

Maybe the board & SC want to demonstrate our ambition to him before doing so?

If offered similar terms what chances of him signing do you think?..

All I know is Baldock is very happy here and that counts for a lot.

If he stays for next season there's a fair chance he'll reach over 50 goals for the club (he's on 36 now) and I can only think of Tony Thorpe and Scott Murray who've achieved that in recent years.

Be great if he would sign a 1 year extension but if not and he goes for nothing next summer then so be it...can't really knock the guy for it.

I assume you weren't one of the masses who knocked Maynard then? Genuine question and not as flippant as it clearly comes across in text!!

If I was Baldock I would run my contract down and then sign on a free for someone and get a big signing on fee, to safe-guard my family's future..

Ah, the philosophy of many a good footballer. David James is a good example of just what can be done when you're in an industry that has a lot to offer financially!

source or do you not what to reveal them!

no source its just commen sense, we'd of or will be offering them terms if they turn it down they will be transfer listed and prob go in jan or before the season starts,

Not every contract is in the news, very few people know about Marv's last contract extension it just happened with little fanfare,

He will be here for all of this up coming season, along with JET. Promotion will see them sign contract next summer, league 1 football for the 2015/16 season and it's very likely both will leave and we'll get nothing. Its a risk worth taking as I would imagine that we will be top 6 throughout the season and our reward for promotion will not only be championship football but retaining our 2 best players. We have a lot riding on this season!

Probably get the season underway and see how we are doing before he looks at a contract!

Being at a good age and top goalscorer last season. Why would they need to wait and see? I think he'd happilly sign on :)

He's already proven and we risk losing him on the cheap/free otherwise.

He will be here for all of this up coming season, along with JET. Promotion will see them sign contract next summer, league 1 football for the 2015/16 season and it's very likely both will leave and we'll get nothing. Its a risk worth taking as I would imagine that we will be top 6 throughout the season and our reward for promotion will not only be championship football but retaining our 2 best players. We have a lot riding on this season!

thats fixed by offering them a contract with a non-promtion clause in it,

If I was Baldock I would run my contract down and then sign on a free for someone and get a big signing on fee, to safe-guard my family's future....

Glad you are not then. 

In all seriousness I imagine his families future is pretty well safeguarded, I wouldn't imagine one signing on fee will be make a huge amount of difference to that. You can earn a fraction of what he earns and still make sure your family will be O.K going forward.

We should be offering him and JET new deals and listen to offers if they're not keen to sign.  We should also be setting a deadline - e.g. if you've not signed by July 31st and no transfer offer has materalised that the club is happy with then you will be here for the season irrespective.  Uncertainty should be avoided.

why are people bothered? he was called useless by most last season.

Hardly.

Fans were understandably exasperated when he missed a long series of seemingly easily takeable chances and vented their frustration on here.

Fans were also delighted, and poured praise on him, when he started to regularly take those chances.

Par for the course, and nothing more than a highly paid professional with pride in his performance would expect, especially one who'd freely admitted he'd never had so many chances created for him and was himself mystified at his lack of form.

He may have been criticised on here, but City fans were very patient and uncritical at matches, so he never lost confidence to the extent that an astute positional change by SC couldn't put things right.

Despite a build up of fans' frustrations Baldock didn't become a whipping boy, or face abuse from the fans - like Flint was subjected to - at any stage.

Hardly.

Fans were understandably exasperated when he missed a long series of seemingly easily takeable chances and vented their frustration on here.

Fans were also delighted, and poured praise on him, when he started to regularly take those chances.

Par for the course, and nothing more than a highly paid professional with pride in his performance would expect, especially one who'd freely admitted he'd never had so many chances created for him and was himself mystified at his lack of form.

He may have been criticised on here, but City fans were very patient and uncritical at matches, so he never lost confidence to the extent that an astute positional change by SC couldn't put things right.

Despite a build up of fans' frustrations Baldock didn't become a whipping boy, or face abuse from the fans - like Flint was subjected to - at any stage.

he did, maybe not as vocal in the ground as others but some of the stuff on here was stupid,

he did, maybe not as vocal in the ground as others but some of the stuff on here was stupid,

Indeed there were some right nobs on here, even when he was near the top of the scoring charts.

Hardly.

That's just a little bit too much revisionism for my liking.

Truth is a vocal minority on here carried on harping on about a few one on one misses even though it was clear to most people watching that Baldock was a cut above and on his way to scoring over 20 league goals.  

Expectations from those few were way out of line and unhelpful but despite that nonsense Baldock was the best striker in the league.  More power to him.

Archived