IGNORED

Are We Getting A Decent Friendly?

Go Junior GO

• Admin

Stil awaiting news for Saturday 02nd August, going on John Burt's interview last week I expected it to have been announced by now.

We know that there will be nothing at home this pre-season, certainly won't be any game against any local rivals - only assume we will be going to somewhere like Exeter / Torquay or local non league side

I can see why a challenging friendly would be favoured by some, but imo friendlies against 'easy' local non-league teams have an edge as it allows the newer players to gel better in that they should be able to perform at their best, giving them confidence going forward. Lets not forget that Portishead and Weston SM will be really going for a win as it will probably be a bigger game than either team will have this coming season, so they won't be a push over. That's not to say i don't expect us to win, i fully expect us to net more than a couple against both teams. 

• Admin

The only home friendly we really want is against a "big name" side.

But the problem this summer all the top players are having their breaks now so wouldn't play and more often than not the top sides keep their best players back for their foreign tours - much rather have a game against a local side

• Admin

We unable to have a home friendly as are new pitch still being laid

No, pitch would have been fine by then - this is more to do with the demolition of the East End.

With delay in getting the stand demolished this meant that the 2nd August is no longer a viable date to play at home.

Have a look at the pictures on the pitch, it is coming along nicely - about another 10 days of the Desso machines working and it will be nearly ready

Having lost to Clevedon last year, i am nervous about the high caliber nature of our pre season matches already lined up, so we certainly don't want a bigger team added in now.

The last thing we want is humiliation by tougher teams.

Let's get some more turkeys in like st Winifred's U15 reserves or Bristol Rovers.

Archived